API documentation

Philippe Veber

Apr 19, 2013, 4:30:46 AM4/19/13
to Biocaml
Hi guys,

I've just checked the API documentation (which I had not done in a while) and noticed the fine changes that took place (presentation and links to the source code). Kudos for those who did this!

cheers,
  ph.

Sebastien Mondet

Apr 19, 2013, 11:03:48 AM4/19/13
to bio...@googlegroups.com

Hi

Glad you like it !

All the black-magic is in the (reasonably ugly) ocamldoc plugin: https://github.com/biocaml/biocaml/blob/v0.3-dev/src/odoc/biohtml.ml

Any feedback is welcome:
- some functions have now figures explaining them: http://biocaml.org/doc/dev/api/Biocaml_transform.html#VALcompose
- I've tried to minimize the number of "clicks" to get to some value by inlining submodules as much as possible (that's actually most of the code of the plugin)
- the "include Some_signature.S" even got an "expand button" like there: http://biocaml.org/doc/dev/api/Biocaml_stream.html
- the "frame" that appears when mouse-overing some piece of documentation was initially for debugging but I kinda liked it, so it's still there.

More stuff could be done:
- the links to the  code of function go to a page containing *only* the code of that function, it would be nice to point to a specific line of the whole ".ml", so that one can see the context and other functions/types
- using "with sexp" in the mli files messes ocamldoc up (it's not the plugin, it happens everywhere), so for now one has to write the "val sexp_of_t ... val t_of_sexp", it would be cool to have a nice general solution for boilerplate code.

cheers
Seb

Philippe Veber

Apr 20, 2013, 4:17:13 AM4/20/13
to Biocaml
Wow, that's reaaaaally neat! And BTW the ocamldoc plugin does not seem that awful to me. Also, the "with sexp" issue should disappear with the upcoming of attributes so ...

Thanks again, this is good stuff for advertising the library!

Francois Berenger

Apr 21, 2013, 8:21:43 PM4/21/13
to bio...@googlegroups.com
On 04/20/2013 12:03 AM, Sebastien Mondet wrote:

> Hi
>
> Glad you like it !
>

> All the black-magic is in the (reasonably ugly) ocamldoc plugin:
> https://github.com/biocaml/biocaml/blob/v0.3-dev/src/odoc/biohtml.ml

I am really impressed!