opam file and version constraints on core

Philippe Veber

Jun 4, 2014, 1:21:46 PM6/4/14
to Biocaml
Hi folks,

I observed that installing (under opam with the official repo) core and biocaml in that order fails:

pveber@lionnet-Latitude-E6420:~$ opam init -r ~/.opam_test --comp=4.01.0
pveber@lionnet-Latitude-E6420:~$ opam install core
pveber@lionnet-Latitude-E6420:~$ opam install biocaml

'opam install biocaml' failed.
pveber@lionnet-Latitude-E6420:~$

It seems to me that opam solver is confused with the constraints imposed in biocaml's opam config [1]:

depends: [
  "ocamlfind"
  "core" {>= "109.27.00" & <= "109.47.00"}
  "sexplib"

What's the "raison d'être" of the upper bound on core? Note that this looks like a bug/limitation in opam, as it should propose to downgrade core, right?

[1] https://github.com/ocaml/opam-repository/commit/8039340951ce8d717c8e1edb5e3faa3583acabb5

Ashish Agarwal

Jun 4, 2014, 8:14:32 PM6/4/14
to Biocaml
On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Philippe Veber <philipp...@gmail.com> wrote:

What's the "raison d'être" of the upper bound on core?

Note that this looks like a bug/limitation in opam, as it should propose to downgrade core, right?

Possibly there's another package you have installed that disallows the downgrade? I rarely manage to figure out the dependency tree causing opam to select what to install/uninstall/downgrade/upgrade. Do you have aspcud, which is supposed to be better? What happens if you ask for `opam install core biocaml`, i.e. ask for both at the same time. This also can give different results sometimes [1].

But I wouldn't waste time figuring this out. We're making so many changes that compiling from master is really the only choice.

Philippe Veber

Jun 5, 2014, 1:55:58 AM6/5/14
to Biocaml
Thanks Ashish! I install biocaml@master myself, I just noticed that while showing biocaml to a colleague. Well that means it is a good time for a release, let's keep working on it :o).