Show mrbayes prob as proportionally sized circles

Diego Caraballo

Sep 8, 2023, 11:29:14 AM9/8/23
to ggtree
Hi everybody,

I wanted to ask how to rescale internal nodes as black-filled circles with size proportional to posterior probability, from a mrbayes tree. I am working on a tree where I want to show tip colors according to host genus, and internal nodes proportional to bayesian posterior probability (bpp).

When I use this:
p3 <- ggtree(tree_gg, layout = "circular")  %<+% d + geom_tippoint(aes(color=host_genus)) +
  geom_tiplab(size=2.5, align=TRUE, linesize=.5, offset = 0)

I get a nice tree (Rplot1).
Rplot1.jpeg

But when I add "prob" information:

p4 <- ggtree(tree_gg, layout = "circular") %<+% d + geom_tippoint(aes(color=host_genus)) +
  geom_tiplab(size = 2.5, align = TRUE, linesize = 0.5, offset = 0) +
  geom_nodepoint(color="#000000", aes(size = prob))

I get these warnings:
Warning messages:
1: Using size for a discrete variable is not advised.
2: Removed 1 rows containing missing values (`geom_point_g_gtree()`).

I still get the tree (Rplot2) but the internal nodes are extremely big. In addtion, I get a scale in the legend showing the different sizes and support values, that I want to exclude from the plot.

Rplot2.jpeg

So, I wanted to ask how to rescale all internal nodes to a lower size (being yet proportional to bpp), and how to remove the legend of bpp, but keep that of hosts.

Thank you in advance,

Cheers,

Diego