Experience using bio2rdf datasets on blazegraph

Sean Davis

Sep 28, 2016, 11:14:34 PM9/28/16
to bio2rdf
Hello, all.

I am new to the Bio2RDF list but have been following the project from a distance. I hate to start communications with a new group with technology questions, but since the utility of RDF data relies heavily on the technology exposing it, I thought I would ask about experiences with blazegraph.  I have given it a try and found it to be somewhat easier to use than Virtuoso for basic use cases.  Has anyone used it (or other graph database engines) to host Bio2RDF datasets locally?  If so, can you share your experiences?

Thanks,
Sean

Kingsley Idehen

Sep 29, 2016, 8:37:46 AM9/29/16
to bio...@googlegroups.com

What is a Basic Usecase?

A basic Virtuoso usecase goes as follows:

1. Download installer

2. Run installer

3. Start your server

4. Load RDF into your Database.

I would be happy to learn a simpler approach to working with RDF data than what's outlined above.
Of course, if you are using the Open Source edition, you have the standard expectations re. source compilation prior to steps 3 & 4 above.

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software   (Home Page: http://www.openlinksw.com)

Weblogs (Blogs):
Legacy Blog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen/
Blogspot Blog: http://kidehen.blogspot.com
Medium Blog: https://medium.com/@kidehen

Profile Pages:
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/kidehen/
Quora: https://www.quora.com/profile/Kingsley-Uyi-Idehen
Twitter: https://twitter.com/kidehen
Google+: https://plus.google.com/+KingsleyIdehen/about
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/kidehen

Web Identities (WebID):
Personal: http://kingsley.idehen.net/dataspace/person/kidehen#this
        : http://id.myopenlink.net/DAV/home/KingsleyUyiIdehen/Public/kingsley.ttl#this

Egon Willighagen

Sep 29, 2016, 8:52:42 AM9/29/16
to bio2rdf
On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kid...@openlinksw.com> wrote:
> Of course, if you are using the Open Source edition, you have the standard expectations re. source compilation prior to steps 3 & 4 above.

Which is actually for me too a reason to like Blazegraph, even being a
long term VOS user!

Egon

--
E.L. Willighagen
Department of Bioinformatics - BiGCaT

Hilmar Lapp

Sep 29, 2016, 9:12:48 AM9/29/16
to bio...@googlegroups.com, Jim Balhoff
Phenoscape uses Blazegraph for its Knowledgebase, and we've been quite happy with it: http://kb.phenoscape.org

If you have specific questions about our experience with it, contact Jim Balhoff (copied).

-hilmar

Sent from away

Kingsley Idehen

Sep 29, 2016, 9:18:18 AM9/29/16
to bio...@googlegroups.com, Patrick van Kleef, Hugh Williams, Tim Haynes
On 9/29/16 8:52 AM, Egon Willighagen wrote:
On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kid...@openlinksw.com> wrote:
> Of course, if you are using the Open Source edition, you have the standard expectations re. source compilation prior to steps 3 & 4 above.
Which is actually for me too a reason to like Blazegraph, even being a
long term VOS user!

What is the problem though?

1. Build instructions unclear?

2. Build process unpredictable?

Kingsley Idehen

Sep 29, 2016, 10:34:54 AM9/29/16
to bio...@googlegroups.com
On 9/29/16 9:12 AM, Hilmar Lapp wrote:
Phenoscape uses Blazegraph for its Knowledgebase, and we've been quite happy with it: http://kb.phenoscape.org

If you have specific questions about our experience with it, contact Jim Balhoff (copied).

-hilmar

Do you have a SPARQL endpoint URI that I could look at?

Kingsley

Sent from away

On Sep 28, 2016, at 2:33 PM, Sean Davis <sean...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello, all.

I am new to the Bio2RDF list but have been following the project from a distance. I hate to start communications with a new group with technology questions, but since the utility of RDF data relies heavily on the technology exposing it, I thought I would ask about experiences with blazegraph.  I have given it a try and found it to be somewhat easier to use than Virtuoso for basic use cases.  Has anyone used it (or other graph database engines) to host Bio2RDF datasets locally?  If so, can you share your experiences?

Thanks,
Sean

Hilmar Lapp

Sep 29, 2016, 11:59:31 AM9/29/16
to bio...@googlegroups.com, Jim Balhoff
Hi Kingsley,

The SPARQL endpoint at this point isn’t meant for public consumption. We have a publicly accessible API instead:

  -hilmar
--
Hilmar Lapp -:- lappland.io

signature.asc

Kingsley Idehen

Sep 29, 2016, 12:36:23 PM9/29/16
to bio...@googlegroups.com
On 9/29/16 11:59 AM, Hilmar Lapp wrote:
Hi Kingsley,

The SPARQL endpoint at this point isn’t meant for public consumption. We have a publicly accessible API instead:

  -hilmar

Hilmar,

Okay, but do bear in mind that Virtuoso is about making a Linked Data Space on an HTTP network, with ease. Net effect, you end up with the following:

1. SPARQL Query Service (a/k/a SPARQL Endpoint)
2. Linked Data Deployment -- using server hosted Faceted Browser
3. Ability to leverage SPARQL for item 2 using your own redirection oriented rewrite rules from a URI pattern to a SPARQL Query where output is a wide variety for document types.

Kingsley