Status

rosc...@morphos-user.com

Dec 23, 2008, 8:58:36 AM12/23/08
to binaryriot
oh, it seems, this is the first message

tokai, could you give us an overview about your projects, which you
want to share with us ;)

I would really like see MisterBanana as a x-mas gift ;)

greets

Christian Rosentreter

Dec 25, 2008, 5:43:00 PM12/25/08
to binar...@googlegroups.com

Hello rosc...@morphos-user.com and the rest of the 5 subscribers,

First of all I wish everyone some nice holidays. Hopefully
Santa Claus (or whoever deliveries your presents) was not lazy
and you have some new toys to play with. :)

On 23.12.08, roschmyr wrote:

> oh, it seems, this is the first message

Almost. There was another message by myself, but I deleted it. So
your's the first official one, at least. :)

> tokai, could you give us an overview about your projects, which you
> want to share with us ;)

> I would really like see MisterBanana as a x-mas gift ;)

A bit late for this. :) The next release I have planned is a collection
of backports of some of my MorphOS 2.x components (bz2.library, the
MUI custom classes), so developers can freely use them and don't have
to worry about MorphOS 1.4.x compatibility of their programs. There
are good chances that this will happen this year still.

All my other unfinished projects are currently in artificial hiber-
nation and I'm not really sure when I wake them up again. This
strongly depends on the direction further versions of MUI will go.
Honestly spoken currently I'm far from happy with MUI and it's
progress/ direction of development.

In case MUI continues to be a constant damocles sword which threatens
usability, operability and performance of my applications which are
depending on it (and pretty much the rest of the system too) it's
unlikely I'll continue with this projects (that includes MisterBanana
too).

But enough MUI ranting. ;)

I still have a large non-GUI based project though which is in early
concept stages. It's working title is 'Redux' (I won't say more yet).
If nothing else crushes my MorphOS motivation until February I'll
probably start investing some time in this then. And just in case it's
pretty much multiplatform and will work on OSX too.

Until then I'm busy with two big graphic projects. I might share
some progress shots about this on #amiganews.de IRC channel, if you're
interestend and I have something to show. :)

I know this is not the best news, but better keep expections low than
hyping stuff up and deceive your hopes by that. :)

With kind regards,
--
Christian Rosentreter

MorphOS 2 ~ http://www.morphos-team.net/

life as the passing sand; when it is grasped, slips between my fingers.

Amigian

Dec 25, 2008, 9:18:52 PM12/25/08
to binar...@googlegroups.com
> Hello rosc...@morphos-user.com and the rest of the 5 subscribers,

Hello! :)

> First of all I wish everyone some nice holidays.

Likewise.

<snip>

>> tokai, could you give us an overview about your projects, which you
>> want to share with us ;)

>> I would really like see MisterBanana as a x-mas gift ;)

> A bit late for this. :) The next release I have planned is a collection
> of backports of some of my MorphOS 2.x components (bz2.library, the
> MUI custom classes), so developers can freely use them and don't have
> to worry about MorphOS 1.4.x compatibility of their programs. There
> are good chances that this will happen this year still.

I'm not a developer, but as a MorphOS 1.4.5 user, i appreciate it a LOT.
:)

> All my other unfinished projects are currently in artificial hiber-
> nation and I'm not really sure when I wake them up again. This
> strongly depends on the direction further versions of MUI will go.
> Honestly spoken currently I'm far from happy with MUI and it's
> progress/ direction of development.

> In case MUI continues to be a constant damocles sword which threatens
> usability, operability and performance of my applications which are
> depending on it (and pretty much the rest of the system too) it's
> unlikely I'll continue with this projects (that includes MisterBanana
> too).

We can live without him. :P A shame for the rest of your MUI apps though.
Only Fragment and Shuffle comes to mind right now. I'm sure there are
others.

> But enough MUI ranting. ;)

> I still have a large non-GUI based project though which is in early
> concept stages. It's working title is 'Redux' (I won't say more yet).
> If nothing else crushes my MorphOS motivation until February I'll
> probably start investing some time in this then. And just in case it's
> pretty much multiplatform and will work on OSX too.

Speaking of non-GUI projects, mldonkey is on the top of my favourite
MorphOS applications.
Let's wait and see what Redux is about.. :)

Christian Rosentreter

Dec 31, 2008, 7:08:16 AM12/31/08
to binar...@googlegroups.com

Hello Amigian

On 26.12.08, you wrote:

>> A bit late for this. :) The next release I have planned is a collection
>> of backports of some of my MorphOS 2.x components (bz2.library, the
>> MUI custom classes), so developers can freely use them and don't have
>> to worry about MorphOS 1.4.x compatibility of their programs. There
>> are good chances that this will happen this year still.

> I'm not a developer, but as a MorphOS 1.4.5 user, i appreciate it a LOT.
> :)

>> All my other unfinished projects are currently in artificial hiber-
>> nation and I'm not really sure when I wake them up again. This
>> strongly depends on the direction further versions of MUI will go.
>> Honestly spoken currently I'm far from happy with MUI and it's
>> progress/ direction of development.

>> In case MUI continues to be a constant damocles sword which threatens
>> usability, operability and performance of my applications which are
>> depending on it (and pretty much the rest of the system too) it's
>> unlikely I'll continue with this projects (that includes MisterBanana
>> too).

> We can live without him. :P A shame for the rest of your MUI apps though.
> Only Fragment and Shuffle comes to mind right now. I'm sure there are
> others.

Well old applications are not really affected. Most of them I consider
pretty much complete anyway. And so far I didn't received any bug
reports, so I assume they work pretty well or noone uses them. Either
way nothing is to do. The only component I wanted to do some serious
work on was Netlamps.sbar... but it's not really important either as
the normal user won't notice the conceptual problem I think it has
(it's more like a conceptual problem of the whole sbar plugin stuff
which has a side-effect in Netlamps) anyway. ;)

>> But enough MUI ranting. ;)

>> I still have a large non-GUI based project though which is in early
>> concept stages. It's working title is 'Redux' (I won't say more yet).
>> If nothing else crushes my MorphOS motivation until February I'll
>> probably start investing some time in this then. And just in case it's
>> pretty much multiplatform and will work on OSX too.

> Speaking of non-GUI projects, mldonkey is on the top of my favourite
> MorphOS applications.

MLdonkey is open source and everyone can compile it really. I don't
even consider it as my work or anything (except the funny? readme ;).

It's not very difficult, mostly you need to workaround some silly
mess only:

mldonkey
--------
> set CC gcc
> set CXX "g++"
> set CFLAGS -O3 -mmultiple -mstring -Dfork=vfork -I<mldpath>/includes
> set CXXFLAGS -O3 -mmultiple -mstring -Dfork=vfork -I<mldpath>/includes
>> copied a fake langinfo.h and nl_types.h to mlddir/includes
> configure --disable-pthread --disable-largefile
>> src/utils/lib/stubs_c. changed
>> assign byterun: t:
> make mlnet.byte
> ixstack 5000000
> make utils.byte
> ixstack 2000000

Everyone can do that really with a little knowledge. ;) The rest of
required MorphOS changed made it at some point into the main source tree
(dunno if it's still there though. ;)

regards,
--
Christian Rosentreter

whatever happens, tomorrow brings goodness, contemplation and mindfulness.

Amigian

Jan 1, 2009, 8:02:44 AM1/1/09
to binar...@googlegroups.com
<snip>

Thanks for the tip. I have never compile a single executable in my life,
but it looks simple.
Do you know if this will work on AmigaOS 3 with GG installed? Because i
use both OSes. Something tells me that it can be that simple, as someone
else would have already attempted it and publish the executable on Aminet...
:-/
I would love to see MLDonkey on AOS 3, even if some tasks like file-hashing
would be dead slow.

Christian Rosentreter

Jan 1, 2009, 12:48:37 PM1/1/09
to binar...@googlegroups.com

Hello Amigian,

On 01.01.09, Amigian wrote:

> Thanks for the tip. I have never compile a single executable in my life,
> but it looks simple.
> Do you know if this will work on AmigaOS 3 with GG installed? Because i
> use both OSes. Something tells me that it can be that simple, as someone
> else would have already attempted it and publish the executable on
> Aminet... :-/
> I would love to see MLDonkey on AOS 3, even if some tasks like
> file-hashing would be dead slow.

The tricky part is to build OCaml before ;) I could release the binaries
for that for MorphOS, so it would be a skipable step for someone who
just wants to build MLdonkey. OCaml is a compiler, like gcc.

OCaml supports PowerPC/ELF as target already. It does not support 68k or
AmigaOS Hunk executable format (at least last time I checked). I guess
that's the catch why you can't have MLdonkey under a 68k AmigaOS. Not
without serious work, at least.

regards,
--
Christian Rosentreter