Hiking and/or camping at Leonard Harrison State Park

Zhaorong Ma

Oct 7, 2010, 11:41:53 PM10/7/10
to biki...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Tao and I planning to go on a hike at Leonard Harrison State Park (i.e. the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon) this or next weekend.
Is anyone interested in the hike and/or camping there?

Here is the link for the park:
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/leonardharrison.aspx
The maps:
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/leonardharrison/leonardharrison_maps.aspx
The availability of campsite:
http://www.pa.reserveworld.com/SiteCalendar.aspx

It is a good time to visit the canyon, because the fall leaves will provide a magnificent view. We're kinda new of camping (only camped several times), but since we will camp at campsite, things should be smooth. If you are only interested in the hike, that would also work. We can leave in the morning and be back in town the same day (it is a two-hour drive).

Either way, let me know your thoughts. If you want to go, please let me know whether you can drive or need a ride, how many extra people can you take in your car.

Thanks!

Zhaorong

--
Zhaorong Ma
IBIOS Bioinformatics and Genomics PhD Candidate

Yong Wu

Oct 7, 2010, 11:51:27 PM10/7/10
to <bikingpsu@googlegroups.com>
All in for this weekend

Wang Yang

Oct 7, 2010, 11:58:35 PM10/7/10
to biki...@googlegroups.com
for camping I guess you will need to reserve the campsite at least couple of days earlier, so this weekend may be a hurry. Next weekend is the fall festival at way fruit farm, kinda do not want to miss that...
Anyway still interested but in need of a tent...

yang

Sent from my iPod

Zhaorong Ma

Oct 8, 2010, 12:03:34 AM10/8/10
to biki...@googlegroups.com
I just checked the campsite availability. There are two campsites available for Oct 9 (this Saturday) and 14 for next Saturday. If we make a quick decision, we can go camping this weekend...

The correct link to check availability should be here:
http://www.pa.reserveworld.com/Searchpark.aspx

Select Leonard Harrison State Park and on the next page, select a date.

Yang WANG

Oct 8, 2010, 12:06:53 AM10/8/10
to biki...@googlegroups.com
What is the size of the camping site? Anyone has more tents?
I guess we can make a quick decision tonight
I am in.
Yang Wang
Physics PhD Candidate
Department of Physics
114 Osmond
The Pennsylvania State University

Yong Wu

Oct 8, 2010, 12:09:20 AM10/8/10
to <bikingpsu@googlegroups.com>
I have one tent can fit 3

Yang WANG

Oct 8, 2010, 12:11:17 AM10/8/10
to biki...@googlegroups.com
Let us get it then. I guess one camping site is enough?

Zhaorong Ma

Oct 8, 2010, 12:19:02 AM10/8/10
to biki...@googlegroups.com
Bad news.
I checked that again...Seems the two campsites are for trailer only...
But campsites for tents are available next Saturday...

So now we have to choose either go without camping this weekend or go next weekend...
33A.gif

Yong Wu

Oct 8, 2010, 12:21:51 AM10/8/10
to biki...@googlegroups.com
Next weekend then, we can plan ahead

Zhaorong Ma

Oct 8, 2010, 12:25:05 AM10/8/10
to biki...@googlegroups.com
Sounds cool.
33A.gif

Wang Yang

Oct 8, 2010, 12:26:22 AM10/8/10
to biki...@googlegroups.com
I will just go hiking this weekend anyway, whichever it is.

yang

Sent from my iPod

Zhaorong

Oct 13, 2010, 8:02:48 PM10/13/10
to BikingPSU
Hi everyone,

There are two campsites available this Saturday. Each campsite can
only park one car and one tent, but up to 5 people can stay at one
campsite (if the tent is big enough...)

If you are interested for camping, please let me know by tomorrow
night. I'll reserve the campsite then.

If you just want to hike, you can drive there on Sunday morning. We
can find a place to meet and hike together.

Zhaorong

On Oct 7, 11:41 pm, Zhaorong Ma <mazhaor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Tao and I planning to go on a hike at Leonard Harrison State Park (i.e. the
> Pennsylvania Grand Canyon) this or next weekend.
> Is anyone interested in the hike and/or camping there?
>
> Here is the link for the park:http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/leonardharrison.aspx
> The maps:http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/leonardharrison/leonardh...

Yong Wu

Oct 13, 2010, 9:02:06 PM10/13/10
to biki...@googlegroups.com
sorry guys, I have some emergency thing need to be done this weekend, can not go. You guys have fun! Be safe!

> Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 17:02:48 -0700
> Subject: Re: Hiking and/or camping at Leonard Harrison State Park
> From: mazha...@gmail.com
> To: biki...@googlegroups.com

Yang WANG

Oct 14, 2010, 10:45:33 PM10/14/10
to biki...@googlegroups.com
well, seems I can not go, either...
Maybe next time.

Wenying Xiong

Oct 14, 2010, 10:58:14 PM10/14/10
to biki...@googlegroups.com
Yongfeng and I are very interested in Hiking. I think that we will drive there on Sunday morning and meet you. :)

Wenying

曹晔

Oct 14, 2010, 11:28:10 PM10/14/10
to biki...@googlegroups.com
I am afraid I cannot come this time. I am quite busy before the project meeting at the end of this month, after that I will come.

Ye Cao

guj

Oct 15, 2010, 12:15:43 PM10/15/10
to BikingPSU
Hi all,
I am interested in hiking on Sunday. Where and when can we meet? It
takes two hours to drive there.

Wenying,
Maybe we can go together!
Jin

On Oct 14, 11:28 pm, 曹晔 <caoy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am afraid I cannot come this time. I am quite busy before the project
> meeting at the end of this month, after that I will come.
>
> Ye Cao
>

> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 10:58 PM, Wenying Xiong <flyki...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yongfeng and I are very interested in Hiking. I think that we will drive
> > there on Sunday morning and meet you. :)
>
> > Wenying

> >> .
> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/bikingpsu?hl=en.

Wenying Xiong

Oct 15, 2010, 12:44:48 PM10/15/10
to biki...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Jin,

Yes, that's a good idea. Currently I have not sure whether our car has 4 or 5 people who will go hiking(which means 3 or 4 of my friends are likely to go). One person has not decided. If it is four then you can go with us. :) I will give you an update.

Best,
Wenying

guj

Oct 15, 2010, 2:06:49 PM10/15/10
to BikingPSU
Wenying,
Thanks for offering a ride. I may have another friend to go with me. I
think we can drive two cars and depart together.
Jin

Wenying Xiong

Oct 15, 2010, 3:38:38 PM10/15/10
to biki...@googlegroups.com
To Jin: That's also a good idea. :)
To all: So we may schedule a time and place to meet on Sunday!

Wenying

Zhaorong Ma

Oct 15, 2010, 4:27:04 PM10/15/10
to biki...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Tao and I will go on Sunday too. We'll find another time for camping...

I suggest we meet at 9am near campus. How about in the IST parking lot (near the golf course) ?
Then we should arrive before noon. We can hike up the trail and have lunch in front of a great view of the canyon!

Jin, could you give the two of us a ride? We'd like to share the gas cost. We are just too lazy to drive, so if not, we can still drive our own car..
Thanks!

Zhaorong

Wenying Xiong

Oct 15, 2010, 7:50:52 PM10/15/10
to biki...@googlegroups.com
The meeting time and place is good for me. :)

Wenying

guj

Oct 15, 2010, 9:32:18 PM10/15/10
to BikingPSU
Hi Zhaorong,
If you trust my driving, I will take you. One hour is the longest
distance I drove. (That is why I want to follow Wenying's car.) 汗 ^ ^b
Jin

On Oct 15, 7:50 pm, Wenying Xiong <wxx...@psu.edu> wrote:
> The meeting time and place is good for me. :)
>
> Wenying
>

> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Zhaorong Ma <mazhaor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
>
> > Tao and I will go on Sunday too. We'll find another time for camping...
>
> > I suggest we meet at *9am* near campus. How about in the IST parking lot
> > (near the golf course) ?
> > Then we should arrive before noon. We can hike up the trail and have lunch
> > in front of a great view of the canyon!
>
> > Jin, could you give the two of us a ride? We'd like to share the gas cost.
> > We are just too lazy to drive, so if not, we can still drive our own car..
> > Thanks!
>
> > Zhaorong
>
> > On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Wenying Xiong <wxx...@psu.edu> wrote:
>
> >> To Jin: That's also a good idea. :)
> >> To all: So we may schedule a time and place to meet on Sunday!
>
> >> Wenying

> >>  --
>
> > --
> > Zhaorong Ma
> > IBIOS Bioinformatics and Genomics PhD Candidate
> > Axtell Lab
> > 257 N Frear
> > Pennsylvania State University

Zhaorong Ma

Oct 16, 2010, 1:08:48 AM10/16/10
to biki...@googlegroups.com
No problem...
My experience is similar to yours...

So we'll meet you at IST parking lot and go with your car then.
See you on Sunday.

Zhaorong

guj

Oct 16, 2010, 11:46:38 AM10/16/10