Progressive Voting Networks

Herbie

May 11, 2010, 2:38:22 PM5/11/10
to League of Bicycling Voters LA
Hi you all,

I got an email from the Courage Campaign (a gay rights organization)
today asking me to check out a Progressive Voter Guide.

It said:

California's statewide primary election is Tuesday, June 8. Are you
ready to vote? To help you make your decisions in this critical
election, our printable June 2010 Progressive Voter Guide includes:

* Short, easy-to-read, recommendations from the Courage Campaign.
* A handy chart of recommendations from nine organizations,
including CREDO Action, AFSCME, the California Democratic Party,
California Federation of Teachers, California League of Conservation
Voters, California Nurses Association, Calitics, and the League of
Women Voters.
* A mobile phone guide that you can easily take into your polling
place and send to your friends -- just text VOTECA to 30644.

As you can see, many organizations produced this voter guide.

I think the League of Bicycling Voters should be networking with other
likeminded voters so that we can get our slates and endorsements onto
guides like this that will reach many people who are neither
bicyclists nor inclined to seek out bicycling-related information, but
who support the cause of bicycling.

Just some food for thought.

Herbie

bikinginla

May 11, 2010, 3:02:25 PM5/11/10
to League of Bicycling Voters LA
Thanks for bringing this up, Herbie.

For the time being, I think our focus needs to be on forming the
League and building it into a credible organization that other groups
will want to partner with. But as we move forward, we should look for
opportunities to work with other organizations when we have mutual
interests, while still remaining non-partisan.

Ted

Gary Kavanagh

May 11, 2010, 3:13:42 PM5/11/10
to bikev...@googlegroups.com
I think producing a slick voter guide of some sort that is easy to print is a great way to reach people. Some people will want to dig into full candidate survey questionnaires, but some people don't want to dig that far, but just want a quick easy list of recommendations from a like minded group they can trust to do the homework for them.
--
-Gary Kavanagh
garyridesbikes.blogspot.com

patrick

May 11, 2010, 3:33:36 PM5/11/10
to League of Bicycling Voters LA
Herbie,
Do you have a link? I would like to see their product as a possible
example/framework for our endorsements.

Patrick

On May 11, 12:13 pm, Gary Kavanagh <7pix...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think producing a slick voter guide of some sort that is easy to print is
> a great way to reach people. Some people will want to dig into full
> candidate survey questionnaires, but some people don't want to dig that far,
> but just want a quick easy list of recommendations from a like minded group
> they can trust to do the homework for them.
>
> garyridesbikes.blogspot.com- Hide quoted text -

Herbie

May 12, 2010, 2:04:05 AM5/12/10
to League of Bicycling Voters LA
Here's a link, I agree with Ted that we have some organization
building to do before we throw our name on something like this. I pose
this as something to think about going forward.

This is a very partisan example, and I think there is power in staying
away from the major political parties. Perhaps if we ever participated
in something like this it would be with other transportation-related
(or other public services - like water, parks, clean air - related?)
organizations.

http://courage.3cdn.net/ff0a7f74999fcc75ce_9fm6b93t4.pdf