Opening statement for proposed candidate questionaire

patrick

May 3, 2010, 11:42:02 PM5/3/10
to League of Bicycling Voters LA
With no further comments over the past few days regarding the
candidate qusetionaire begun some weeks ago, I thought we might turn
our attention to the introductory paragraphs we need to attach to the
document. To get this started, I offer the below draft. It needs
more information and less words, but I hope it gets the group thinking
about this.

"Dear ,
As bicycling gains increasing acceptance as a potent tool for
improving California’s transportation, environment, livability and
public health, ensuring that elected officials fully understand these
important issues and will promote policies and projects that will
improve conditions and safety for cyclists has become an important
factor in candidate choice for a large and growing number of voters.
Recent surveys have suggested that over 10% of California’s population
rate bicycling issues as an important factor in candidate selection.
We believe that this group represents an active and motivated segment
of voters whose influence outweighs their numbers. With voter turnout
reaching historical lows and many districts that would normally not
have competitive races, “in play”, we further suggest that bicycle
riders are a community that represent an important opportunity for
favorably disposed candidates.
In order for our group to properly judge and endorse current
candidates for State office we ask that you complete the following,
simple questionnaire for our review. Upon review of the answers
returned, we intend to rank the various candidates and widely publish
our findings and endorsements within the California bicycling
community.
We look forward to your quick and considered reply and hope this
interaction begins a long and close relationship mutually supporting
our shared goals of full participation in the governing process for
the State’s bicycle riders.

Respectfully,

, Chair
League of Bicycling Voters, LA"