Sample candidate survey for State-level office, version 2

1 view

bikinginla

Apr 19, 2010, 2:26:49 PM4/19/10
to League of Bicycling Voters LA
Here is the revised survey I've come up with, based on the responses
to the first draft last week. I've managed to shorten it to 8
questions, +/- depending on what Livable Los Angeles submits for
questions 6 and 7, and made the questions more open-ended as suggested
by most of the responses to the previous round. Let me know what you
think.

1. Do you or a member of your immediate family ride a bike? What do
you consider the problems facing cyclists in California, and how would
you suggest that the laws affecting traffic and bicycling be modified
to encourage greater participation in bicycling and increase safety
for cyclists?

2. What role do you believe bicycles can/should play in reducing
traffic congestion and improving the health of Californians, if any?

3. Do you believe the rights and responsibilities of bicyclists are
appropriately enforced in California, and what, if any, changes can/
should be made regarding enforcement on the state level?

4. Many people seem to be unaware of, or misunderstand, the laws
regarding bicycling in California. Do you believe a state-sponsored
educational campaign is warranted; and if so, what form should it
take, what should it communicate and how would you pay for it?

5. Recently, improvements in bicycling infrastructure in San Francisco
were delayed for a number of years due to a lawsuit under the
California Environmental Quality Act; other jurisdictions have cited
the CEQA’s preference for avoiding vehicular congestion or the risk of
such lawsuits in delaying or denying infrastructure improvements to
support and encourage bicycling. Do you believe this is an appropriate
interpretation of CEQA, or if not, how would you suggest changing it
to avoid such issues in the future?

6. Parking — question to come from Livable Los Angeles

7. Transportation funding — question to come from Livable Los Angeles

8. Why do you believe you deserve the endorsement of the League Of
Bicycling Voters LA; and why should California voters — bicycling or
otherwise — support your candidacy?

Eric Bruins

Apr 19, 2010, 2:44:45 PM4/19/10
to bikev...@googlegroups.com
1. Avoid the term "cyclists" in favor of the less-nuanced "bicycle riders" or even "bicyclists" if you must go with one-word.  I know these identity disputes are ongoing, so we need to be as inclusive with our terminology as possible.  Also, starting this survey by asking, "are you one of us, yes or no?" (Do you ride...?) may rub a potential respondent the wrong way.

2.Even broader would be something like: "What role should bicycling (or substitute: active transportation) play in the State's transportation and health policy?"

3. "Do you believe the rights and responsibilities of bicyclists are appropriately enforced in California, and what, if any, legislative or policy changes should be made at the state level to reduce conflict among road users?"  (Subtle changes, slightly different question elicits a more nuanced answer)

4-8. Good.

Rye Baerg

Apr 19, 2010, 6:34:01 PM4/19/10
to bikev...@googlegroups.com
I would take out the "if any" wording in questions 2 & 3. Don't give
them an easy out, make them think about what improvements should be
made. We need to make them think like us.
--
Rye Baerg
UCLA Urban Planning 2011