Agenda for May 15 meeting

bikinginla

May 14, 2010, 2:45:03 AM5/14/10
to League of Bicycling Voters LA
Some of us have been having an offline discussion about setting an
Agenda for the meeting on Saturday. My preference is to keep it very
informal; however, others feel we need to have a set structure for the
meeting.

With that in mind, here is the latest Agenda as it stands right now;
feel free to offer any comments, suggestions or changes before the
meeting.

Also, consider what committees or positions you might be willing to
volunteer for, both in the short term as we build an organization, and
once we establish a formal committee, board and officer structure.

And we need a process to enroll members at the meeting; hopefully we
can come up with something better than a simple sign-up sheet. Anyone
want to take a stab at designing a sign-up form?

Ted

Preliminary Agenda:

0. Introduction; Ted Rogers will volunteer to moderate if there are no
objections; request volunteer to keep minutes of the meeting

1. Vote to accept simple majority for adoption of a motion

2. Adopt Roberts Rules of Order

3. Motion to Adopt or Modify Preliminary Agenda

4. Vote on Name: proposed League of Bicycle Voters LA; one other
suggestion is The Bike Lobby, request any other suggestions before
vote

4a. Circulate sign-up sheet for membership; any other suggestion for
how to enlist as members?

5. 501c4: Motion to incorporate as 501c4
Report on Implication of this form, alternatives, the process of
incorporation, this meeting is probably only a business meeting of a
precursor organization
Report on Financial implications, and support available
Conflict of Interest Issues —
TR - Who will provide this report? I certainly don’t have the
expertise to provide this sort of in-depth examination; I only know
that I have been told by people I trust that we need to be a 501c4

6. Discuss and consider adoption of a Mission Statement; this may be
put off until next meeting to allow more time to draft a statement.

7. Elect a Steering Committee which is to work with lawyer to create
incorporation as 501c4, speak for the group, and provide temporary
leadership leading up to formal election of officers and board

8. Discuss setting a date and process for election of board and
officers; my suggestion would be to hold elections at the next
meeting, but it could be anytime within the first 6 months as long as
we have a temporary management in place.

9. Form committees (Members and Chairpersons) or request volunteers to
respond back at the next meeting —
a) Bylaws — will draft bylaws to govern this organization, and make
recommendations on membership types (individuals and groups)
b) Endorsement or Political Outreach committee, including outreach to
candidates, candidate surveys, establish process for recommendations
and endorsements etc.
c) Fund raising and finance — dues, donations, establish bank
account(s), credit card accounts, Pay Pal, etc.
d) Nominations and elections — establish a process for elections,
work with Bylaws committee to determine what offices we need, and
nominate one or more candidates for each, work with Josef Bray-Ali to
build a secure online voting system to reduce need for future meetings
e) Communications — assume management of Facebook page, Google group
and website, etc.
f) Membership — manage sign-up process, recruitment of new members

10. Discussion of current campaigns — proposal to join with LACBC,
Living Streets, Bikeside, BikingInLA, among others, to co-sponsor
proposal to increase penalties for hit-and-run; discuss if anyone has
contacts with candidates for June 6 election, including candidates for
Governor.

11. Set date(s) and place for next meeting