Help needed to assist the town in getting bike lanes on Merritt Mill Road

John Rees

Sep 1, 2022, 5:42:18 PM9/1/22
to Bike Chapel Hill - BikeChapelHill.com

Hi all. Happy late summer! The town is looking for volunteers to assist in making traffic counts to aid in a possible restriping of part of Merritt Mill Road!
We did this a year or two ago and our work helped the town justify some bike lanes on Culbreth Road.  Here is our chance to assist the town again and keep the momentum going on bike lanes as the DOT controlled roads get repaved (and re-striped) . You can contact me if you have any questions about how it works, or just jump in and sign up.  You can also contact Josh with the town of Chapel Hill.  jm...@townofchapelhill.org
If you sign up directly, let me know so we can see how many folks we have. Thanks
John Rees

The Town of Chapel Hill and the Town of Carrboro are exploring adding bike lanes to a portion of Merritt Mill Road, and are looking for volunteer help to collect traffic counts. The counts would be collected on Thursday, September 15th at eight intersections. Volunteers and staff will count turning vehicles, bikes, and pedestrians during the morning (8-9 AM), noon (12-1 PM), and evening (4:30-5:30 PM) peak hours. This data will be used to create a traffic model and determine the impact on local residents of removing the center turn lane.

If you're interested in helping, please fill out this SignUpGenius<https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0C45ADAE23A4FACF8-merritt> with your email and availability, and Town staff will be in touch with details closer to the date. Feel free to sign up for more than 1 shift if able. We appreciate your interest and help!

Josh Mayo (he/him), Transportation Planner I
Town of Chapel Hill
405 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd.
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
t: 919-969-5061