Problem updating datasets and tables via REST API

Alessandro Strada

Apr 15, 2012, 1:32:39 PM4/15/12
to bigquery...@googlegroups.com
I'm testing my API client library gapi-ocaml, and I think I've found an issue trying to update/patch a dataset or a table using the REST API.

In my unit tests I created a new dataset (using POST), then I tried to update its description (via PUT/PATCH), but the description field in the response retained the old value. I've verified that updating the access property works fine.

The other problem is that I cannot update a table: every time I try to issue a PUT or a PATCH to a table resource, I obtain the error "Output field used as input" (400).

I obtained the same behavior using the API explorer.

I've attached the curl log files of the test runs (where I've anonymized the project ID and the OAuth tokens).

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
--
Alex

update_dataset.log
update_table.log

Jeremy Condit

Apr 16, 2012, 2:43:42 PM4/16/12
On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Alessandro Strada <alessand...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm testing my API client library gapi-ocaml, and I think I've found an issue trying to update/patch a dataset or a table using the REST API.

Nice!   I'm a big fan of OCaml.  :-)

In my unit tests I created a new dataset (using POST), then I tried to update its description (via PUT/PATCH), but the description field in the response retained the old value. I've verified that updating the access property works fine.

This is a bug on our end.  Right now, the dataset update method only allows updates to the access property, but it should also allow updates to the description.

The other problem is that I cannot update a table: every time I try to issue a PUT or a PATCH to a table resource, I obtain the error "Output field used as input" (400).

You'll see this error message if you try to POST, PUT, or PATCH a table resource that contains creationTime or lastModifiedTime properties, or if you try to PUT or PATCH a table resource that contains a schema property (since the table schema is currently immutable).

I realize that this behavior is a little inconsistent with the behavior for datasets--we'll see if we can get this fixed soon.

Thanks very much for the feedback!

Jeremy

Alessandro Strada

Apr 16, 2012, 3:07:09 PM4/16/12
to bigquery...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for your quick response, and keep up the good work!

--
Alex