Clarification: BigQuery/Apps Script Integration

Michael Manoochehri

Jan 24, 2012, 5:10:30 PM1/24/12
to bigquery...@googlegroups.com
Hi BigQuery Developers:

I want to provide some clarification on the availability of our latest version of the BigQuery API through Google Apps Script. Note: the following only applies to Apps Script developers

1. We are currently working on exposing the most recent and stable BigQuery API (V2) methods to Apps Script as soon as we can. However, work is still in progress and we don't have a release date yet. If your account has access to the BigQuery API through the experimental Apps Script Google Services option, it is referencing a deprecated BigQuery API version. Therefore, I suggest waiting until we complete this integration before building new Apps Scripts that reference BigQuery.

2. Existing BigQuery + Apps Script documentation refersto our V1 API, which is no longer available. We're in the process of removing this V1 documentation, and we will be replacing it with up-to-date documentation about using the current BigQuery V2 API methods via Apps Script.

We will also provide either an article or blog post that provides an quick intro for getting started with BigQuery on Apps Script.

Sorry for the confusion - like many you, I am a big fan of Google Apps Script, and I think it's a very useful way to interact with BigQuery. We'll keep you posted about our progress with  the bigquery-discuss list.

Thanks!
Michael Manoochehri
BigQuery Team

Rowan McCann

Mar 31, 2012, 3:48:02 PM3/31/12
to bigquery...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

Are there any updates on the Apps Script (Google Docs) -> BigQuery integration availability?  Thanks.

Rowan

JKWA

Apr 4, 2012, 6:54:55 PM4/4/12
to bigquery...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to second Rowan.  We're looking forward to being able to write simple scripts to trigger complex reports (not just simple queries) and write the results back to a spreadsheet.

Joe

Michael Manoochehri

Apr 5, 2012, 1:54:55 AM4/5/12
to bigquery...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone:

Sorry for the delay on information here, I've been checking in with the teams involved to give you the best info we can for BigQuery integration with Apps Script. The short answer is that final integration of the very latest BigQuery API (which we call "v2") with Apps Script is likely about 4 weeks away (hopefully less).

I would still suggest waiting for "v2" integration before starting on any BigQuery + Apps Script development, as the Apps Script methods will be different than what exists now. We will also be able to provide updated documentation and BigQuery method autocompletion within the Apps Script editor.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I know that BQ + Apps Script is an integration that many of our BigQuery developers (including myself) are very interested in seeing completed. There are several moving parts involved, and our engineering team has been really focusing on things like BigQuery performance upgrades - but we will we have it ready soon.

Thanks,
- Michael

Alfredo Gomez Castillejos

Apr 17, 2012, 3:40:18 AM4/17/12
to bigquery...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael

We are seeing how to use Apps Script with google BigQuery as well. After read your latest post we need to know if now we could try with v1 but we are not sure if this is possible right now, when you are changing this integration ( Apps Script + BQ ) . Where can we find the v1, I am seeing in google apps script page, but there is anything respect it. Could you solve  this doubt?

Thanks in advance.