stale view data?

ooi

Apr 2, 2013, 7:20:06 PM4/2/13
to bigcou...@googlegroups.com

We've used bigcouch successfully with N=R=W=1 but as soon as we try to implement N=3, our views tend to return stale data.  We don't explicitly create or query our views options for stale or update_after results.  Is there a default we haven't found?  According to the github bug reports, changing W=3 should fix the issue but it does not -- we can still write 3 copies of the data and get back stale view results.

9 nodes, N=W=3, tried R=1 and R=3, centos 6, BC1.1.1

Suggestions?

Paul Davis

Apr 2, 2013, 7:55:49 PM4/2/13
to bigcou...@googlegroups.com
Can you provide a bit more detail on what you mean by implementing
N=3? Also, how stale is stale in your case? Are you doing things like
write/view-query in a quick loop? Theoretically if you have an N=3 db
and use W=3 everywhere then you shouldn't be seeing stale view results
though it is possible in some circumstances when nodes are
misbehaving.

ooi

Apr 3, 2013, 2:17:51 PM4/3/13
to bigcou...@googlegroups.com

"what you mean by implementing N=3"

By this I mean I am changing our bigcouch setup from a simple demo installation on one node to a 9 node cluster with N=3 copies of the data and a hardware load balancer.

"how stale is stale in your case? Are you doing things like write/view-query in a quick loop?"

Although not a loop, we are writing an item then immediately fetching it from a view.

"you shouldn't be seeing stale view results though it is possible in some circumstances"

Could you be more specific about which circumstances?  Can I do anything to fix it?
Is this really "misbehaving" or is there an expected lag between the write completing (even with W=3) and the _changes feed being absorbed into the views?
That is, will the view update be part of the write operation or an async operation that follows?

John Nowlin

Apr 7, 2015, 6:16:22 PM4/7/15
to bigcou...@googlegroups.com
We are experiencing views not returning recently written data on our cluster ( n=3, q=3, r=2, w=2 ). It does take a bit of a load, but is easily replicable.
You suggest that this is possible "in some circumstances".  Can you please elaborate on these circumstances and how this can be avoided?

john