Feature request: Removal of uploaded presentation(s)

Crawford Rainwater

Jan 19, 2011, 9:35:47 PM1/19/11
to bigbluebutton-users
(If this is not the appropriate list to post this to, please advise.
Thanks in advance.)

On item that I have noticed with BBB vs. a few other similar suites
out there is a means to remove an uploaded presentation. Basically a
"delete uploaded presentation" button with confirmation of such.

Thoughts, comments, etc. are welcomed. TIA.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA
voice: +1.303.604.2550
web: http://www.linux-etc.com

Fred Dixon

Jan 19, 2011, 9:53:00 PM1/19/11
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Crawford,

You can delete an uploaded presentation from the session. When you
click the upload presentation button (lower left-hand corner of the
presentation window), you'll see there is a drop-down menu for the
presentations uploaded thus far in the session.

Next to the drop-down is a [-] button to delete the currently selected
presentation. However, there is a bug that you need to select another
presentation before the current presentation disappears from the view
of others. If the current presentation is the only one remaining, you
need to upload a presentation to replace it. See

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/issues/detail?id=741

Once the session ends (all users have logged out), the presentations
from that sessions are no longer accessible via BigBlueButton.

Regards,... Fred

Richard Alam

Jan 20, 2011, 9:07:58 AM1/20/11
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
We need to clarify what delete the presentation means.

Does it mean remove it from the list of presentation in the client? Or
nuke it (delete all files)?

We can't delete files of an uploaded presentation because we'll need
it for record and playback.

Richard

--
---
BigBlueButton

Crawford Rainwater

Jan 20, 2011, 9:31:54 AM1/20/11
to bigbluebutton-users
Richard and Fred:

Thanks for the replies.

For clarifications on Fred's response, it would be to include what was
mentioned but also that initial presentation. I was not aware of the
Bug 741 situation, save via our experiences with using BBB. So a way
to clear or "blank page" the Presentation window completely of
presentations that were uploaded is what I was asking for. I guess a
simple work around would be to have a simple one page slide up of the
presentation topic worst case for the time being.

For Richard's response it is the prior, though the latter question
(which ties into Fred's last remark some) if I understand the workflow
from the various documents, the presentations should be removed or
"nuked" once a presentation is terminated, correct?

TIA.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA
voice: +1.303.604.2550
web:http://www.linux-etc.com

Crawford Rainwater

Jan 20, 2011, 10:30:08 AM1/20/11
to bigbluebutton-users
An additional note from one of Linux ETC's consultants testing things
with BBB:

After removing all presentations, I cannot upload a new presentation.
Have to exit out of the conference, terminate the conference, then
start a new conference.

Is this related to Bug 741 as well? The comparison is with
OpenMeetings where adding and removing presentation documents to the
Presentation panel is possible without having to terminate or start a
new conference.

Thanks in advance once again.

Fred Dixon

Jan 20, 2011, 11:51:36 AM1/20/11
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
> After removing all presentations, I cannot upload a new presentation.

To confirm, do you mean removing the presentation from the
BigBlueButton client. Just tried it on a test server and I can remove
the presentations (from the client) and upload new presentations.

Are you deleting the presentations by a different method (logged into
the server and deleting them in the /var/bigbluebutton directory)?

The above isn't related to bug 741.

Regards,... Fred

Crawford Rainwater

Jan 21, 2011, 11:11:30 AM1/21/11
to bigbluebutton-users
Fred:

This is with the BBB client (i.e., web browser into the server), not
directly on the BBB server itself. The BBB server is version 0.71a on
Ubuntu 10.04LTS.

What happened was the following per my notes:
- Uploaded "presentation 1". Showed "presentation 1".
- Uploaded "presentation 2". Showed "presentation 2".
- Removed "presentation 1" via the "red x" button.
- Removed "presentation 2" via the "red x" button.
- Could not upload "presentation 1" a second time, nor any other
"presentation" files.

Presentation files were PDF or OpenOffice document formats (odt).

This might have been a "one time fluke" because it cannot be recreated
though on our end with another tech and a difference conference
active. Will advise since we will be doing some more testing over
this coming weekend.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court