Bigbluebutton Chat notification

Akshaya Nanda

Apr 8, 2020, 1:36:40 PM4/8/20
to bigbluebutton-users
I see some discussions around chat notification. Can someone confirm if there is any chat notification? If so, is it just audio or some sort of message icon or pop up?

Aaron Hepp

Apr 9, 2020, 5:10:40 AM4/9/20
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
There are chat notifications, but sadly they are pretty "pointless" currently.  To access them click on the hamburger menu in the the far right corner then click on settings.  You will see the chat notifications there (both audio and pop-up.  Be default these are disabled, you can enable them here but every time you log off when you re-enter they are disabled again.  These you can be enabled by default in the file: (change to true - does require restart)
/usr/share/meteor/bundle/programs/server/assets/app/config/settings.yml
 application:
        animations: true
        chatAudioAlerts: true
        chatPushAlerts: false

What makes me say they are pointless is that the only way to get an alert is that the chat has to be hidden to trigger the alert.  I have asked before if there is a way to configure the alert when ever new text is entered into the field regardless of the chat visible or not but no response was given.  I our use we have users that post links that takes you to new pages for referencing various topics.  So the bbb page will be open in another tab but they will be referencing material on a different tab.  So while they have their focus on that other page and people are posting comments or questions those users that are on the other tab never know that someone has posted.

Pretty sure getting the audio or push alert requires some code change as it did with a different platform I used prior, so this may not be high on the priority as there are other issues that they are addressing first.

On 4/8/20 1:36 PM, Akshaya Nanda wrote:
I see some discussions around chat notification. Can someone confirm if there is any chat notification? If so, is it just audio or some sort of message icon or pop up?

Daniel Felipe

Apr 9, 2020, 8:26:51 AM4/9/20
to bigbluebutton-users
Hey Aaron, and do Push notifications work if set to true?

Aaron Hepp

Apr 9, 2020, 8:58:53 AM4/9/20
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
They work, but only if the  public chat is "hidden"  If chat is "in focus" then no.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bigbluebutton-users/93d3ec15-8aa8-4192-8814-c0f1718ecbbd%40googlegroups.com.

Akshaya Nanda

Apr 9, 2020, 11:02:28 AM4/9/20
to bigbluebutton-users
The message notification as opposed to audio would be much more beneficial. Anyone knows if they are working on message pop up?

Aaron Hepp

Apr 9, 2020, 12:04:27 PM4/9/20
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
The pop-up work as well.  But as stated, only when the public chat window has been hidden.

The notification is only inside that browser window, if you are on another tab or page you will not see the notification.  Also the pop-up is not a "system" notification as like with Telegram or Skype, it is confined to the browser itself

m.no...@pembrokeshire.ac.uk

Aug 12, 2020, 11:16:04 AM8/12/20
to bigbluebutton-users
I have been testing BBB in full screen mode (presentation) and the audio chat notification works, but there is no pop up - can you please give me a screen shot of what this looks like in case I am missing something?

Thanks
Matthew

aaron...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2020, 5:59:22 PM8/12/20
to bigbluebutton-users
Have you changed the setting
 defaultSettings:
      application:
        animations: true
        chatAudioAlerts: true
        chatPushAlerts: false
in
/usr/share/meteor/bundle/programs/server/assets/app/config/settings.yml

Of if you do not want to make it permanent then just open up the setting and there should be sliders for it.  I think this was not implemented till a few releases after 2.2 so you may want to check your version as well if you do not see that optionbbb_settings.png

The pop-up will be in the same location as the rest of the "system" messages you get within BBB.