[bigbluebutton-users] Re: Video sharing?

Manuel Schütze

May 15, 2010, 3:36:49 PM5/15/10
to bigbluebutton-users
Hi everyone,
I just found out about bigbluebutton. I already worked with Adobe Connect Pro, Webex and Connect Now and it is very nice to see that there is an open-source product that is as good or maybe even better than these paid ones. All you developers are doing a great job!
Currently I'm transmitting a lot of events, mainly seminars. One feature that is important for me is the ability to share presenters videos. In Webex I had to convert the video to .wmv and upload it and all the viewers had to download it to be able to view it, but if one viewer joined later or during the seminar, he wasn't able to download the video in time. In Connect Now I use desktop sharing for power point presentations and videos. It doesn't work for videos embedded in the presentation, but it works if I open the video in an external player. The only downside is that the desktop sharing is not very efficient for videos (they end up jagged for the viewer).
Is there any solution for this in bigbluebutton? Maybe a desktop sharing feature that is able to share videos properly or the ability to upload videos and present them simultaneously.
I hope someone can help me with this info.
Thanks!
Manuel

Denis Zgonjanin

May 15, 2010, 5:10:14 PM5/15/10
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Manuel,

Thanks for the good words. We do have a Video Co-Viewing module in the plans for this summer. This project is part of Google Summer of Code 2010, and one of the students accepted to work on BigBlueButton will be working on developing the functionality you describe. If you search the bigbluebutton-dev mailing list archives you may find more information on how the module will work and even some UI mock-ups on how it will look. You can probably expect it to appear in the next couple of releases, around July or August.

- Denis

Manuel Schütze

May 16, 2010, 11:48:50 AM5/16/10
to bigbluebutton-users
Hi Dennis,
Thanks for the info!
I will certainly look into it.
Regards,
Manuel

Aleksandra Czajka

Jul 23, 2013, 7:56:50 AM7/23/13
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com, msch...@gmail.com
Hi! I'm looking for this feature as well. Simply showing a video with desktop sharing will not too. It's way too choppy.

Is this feature still coming along? It's been awhile and I don't see it anywhere in the current versions.

Fred Dixon

Jul 23, 2013, 8:20:57 AM7/23/13
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Aleksandra,

I think your looking for synchronized video playback, which is an open request, see

We're still working on finishing the current release, so we haven't done any planning on the next release.  To see how we set priorities for a release,

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 7:56 AM, Aleksandra Czajka <aleks...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi! I'm looking for this feature as well. Simply showing a video with desktop sharing will not too. It's way too choppy.

Is this feature still coming along? It's been awhile and I don't see it anywhere in the current versions.

Sertaç Kağan Aydin

Jan 18, 2016, 4:29:41 AM1/18/16
to bigbluebutton-users
Hi Fred,
I have also trying to share video in my big blue button server.  Could you please inform about the tentative release date of this feauture? Thank you.

Fred Dixon

Jan 18, 2016, 8:47:01 AM1/18/16
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Sertaç,

> I have also trying to share video in my big blue button server.  Could you please inform about the tentative release date of this feauture? Thank you.

In the BigButton project, we release on quality, not dates.

We don't have this feature in the current release cycle (1.0-beta).  While we can't provide a date, here's how we prioritize features for each release.  See

Regards,... Fred