Audio Issues

NW Marco

Apr 8, 2024, 12:55:02 PMApr 8
to bigbluebutton-users
I am using the BigBlue Button via Safari v17.4.1 on MacOS 12.7.4 and the audio sounds like the person talking is underwater. This happens via bluetooth or via the speakers. I don't get this 'bubbling' effect with any other online meeting software.

Hardware: MacBook Pro 18,3 (M1 Pro chip, 16GB RAM).

Appreciate any suggestions or tips to correct this.

Thanks,
Marco in Seattle

Joshua Sasmor

Apr 9, 2024, 6:58:24 AMApr 9
to bigbluebutton-users
I am also having a similar issue - I am using Chrome [Version 123.0.6312.107 (Official Build) (arm64)] and MacOS 14.4.1 on a MacBook Pro (2022, M2 chip).  The audio stutters and is very choppy while the video is very smooth.  Any ideas?

Joshua Sasmor, Pittsburgh PA

ds30

Apr 9, 2024, 1:31:22 PMApr 9
to bigbluebutton-users
Hi Marco,
Can you try with a wired headset , not Bluetooth ?
Thanks

Joshua Sasmor

Apr 9, 2024, 1:33:57 PMApr 9
to bigbluebutton-users
Today's recording on my rig was completely fine.  I have no idea what differences there were.
Joshua Sasmor

NW Marco

Apr 10, 2024, 5:02:09 PMApr 10
to bigbluebutton-users
I tried with the speakers on my laptop, got a bunch of feedback/static, then re-enabled the bluetooth and the audio worked fine. No issues. Hope this works next lecture (next Monday).

Joshua Sasmor

Apr 12, 2024, 8:54:01 AMApr 12
to bigbluebutton-users
I tried the same set up as Monday - audio is very choppy and distorted, video is fine.  Help?  I cannot understand what is happening.  I have downloaded the video to YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fayVeQjtG2I   The sound is horrible.  How can I fix this?

Yet here is a recording from Tuesday...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDVKw2hMyis

DistanceLearning.Cloud

Apr 12, 2024, 9:47:59 AMApr 12
to bigbluebutton-users
does the choppy audio happen when users are listening during the live class...  Or only in the recording files?

Joshua Sasmor

Apr 12, 2024, 11:34:02 AMApr 12
to bigbluebutton-users
Since this is a live face-to-face session being recorded, I usually have the audio turned down in the room to prevent feedback issues. I tested the audio before I started the recording, and the audio in the room was coming through fine.  I had one recording this morning work perfectly (https://youtu.be/dvySADLp51E ), and the second recording has choppy audio (https://youtu.be/CGxr0cEqv7c ).  I am using the Canvas API for BigBlueButton, recording using the microphone on my MacBook, and a desktop ELMO MO1 for the video.

Joshua Sasmor

Joshua Sasmor

Apr 12, 2024, 2:12:34 PMApr 12
to bigbluebutton-users
Right before class started at 12:40 today, I started the meeting, joined the audio and turned up the volume so I could hear.  I heard myself correctly, with the barest lag through the speakers.  The recording has the choppy sound again :(    https://youtu.be/zffSZS6T4wg?si=PJvoC-tDea71GDdL

Joshua Sasmor

Joshua Sasmor

Apr 15, 2024, 2:15:59 PMApr 15
to bigbluebutton-users
The problem is not fixed.  My 9am recording sounds fine, my 10am recording sounds fine, but my 12:30 recording is choppy as all heck.  I have no idea what I did different.

Joshua Sasmor

sdame

Apr 16, 2024, 8:39:07 AMApr 16
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Are you running your own bbb server?  How many cores...   if recordings are processing from previous meetings and you don't have enough cpu,  you will notice audio quality issues once cpu exceeds 80

Regards,
Stephen

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone
Message has been deleted

Fred Dixon

Apr 19, 2024, 9:13:22 PMApr 19
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joshua,

Thanks for sharing more information directly.  The ping times between you and the server are quite large and are contributing to the audio issues you are experiencing.

Is it an option to try using a wireless hot-spot for a day of sessions and see if the audio suddenly improves?  That would further point to the network as a source of the audio issues.

Regards,.. Fred

On Fri, Apr 19, 2024 at 1:25 PM Joshua Sasmor <sas...@setonhill.edu> wrote:
I am not running my own server.  I am still experiencing these audio issues.  I do not control the Canvas API for BBB, so I cannot use that route to fix this.
Joshua Sasmor

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "bigbluebutton-users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bigbluebutton-users/fd4e16f7-8a08-41bc-bf1b-8fd8f9ae8c3bn%40googlegroups.com.

--
Co-founder BigBlueButton

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton