Does Automatic Transcription work when Presenting from a Mobile device?

Warren Bunce

Jul 16, 2024, 10:34:21 AM (6 days ago) Jul 16
to bigbluebutton-users
BBB Version: 2.7.3

Use case:
1. I'm presenting using BBB and want to be as inclusive as possible.
2. I'm running the BBB presentation from a mobile (unusual?).
3. When I'm connecting to the meeting I want to enable Automatic Transcription.

But the option is not available on any mobile device I've tested on.  I always get the message
“Your browser doesn't support speech recognition.  Your audio won’t be transcribed”

I have done the following:
1. Tried Chrome browser on Android Pixel 6a in mobile and desktop mode.
2. Tried Edge browser on Android Pixel 6a.
3. Tried on Samsung Tablet (Galaxy Tab S6 Lite Android 14),  Chrome and Samsung Internet, both Mobile and Desktop modes.
4. Checked Microphone not blocked in Chrome settings.
5. Tested Google Live Transcribe on Pixel6a and Samsung Tablet.  Both worked fine.
6. Tested on iPhone
7. Searched the BBB Forums for mention of the issue – nothing found.
8. Used the Web Speech API HTML5 demo on both desktop and Android.  Works on both Mobile and Desktop.  https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/demos/speech.html