Whiteboard pencil tool not responsive enough

Vasyl Ostrovskyi

Sep 16, 2020, 5:05:24 AM9/16/20
to bigbluebutton-users
Hello all,
I installed BBB and like it very much. However, I am disappointed by delays in response of the pencil tool in whiteboard. These delays are most noticeable when using devices like tablets because they can be used for fast drawing or writing text, but the effect can be noticeable with othe pointing devices.
I draw a circle using a mouse: when I press a button and draw a circle (doing it as fast as possible), I first see a polygon with only seven or eigth vertices, and when I release a button, this polygin is interpolated into a curve. Now, I understand, that I should write very solwly, otherwice many letters look ugly, and the whole text is almost unreadable.
A similar problem has been discussed in WBO project issue tracker (WBO is an opensource web whiteboard) and now their whiteboard works very good. So, a solution to this issue does exist.
Is there a way to record more points during drawing? I indeed need a responsive whiteboard inside BBB to teach my students.

With best regards
Vasyl

ma...@soethe.net

Sep 17, 2020, 3:10:21 AM9/17/20
to bigbluebutton-users
I second that. Is there any solution in sight?

rinam

Sep 17, 2020, 6:58:58 AM9/17/20
to bigbluebutton-users
, i also think that BBB's whiteboard is lacking. comparing to other WBs that  can be used online. The whiteboard lacks features that other online whiteboards have. As Vasyl noted, the pen is not responsive enough, inaccurate and the writing is fragmented. The point of contact when writing, is different from the point when drawing a shape ... even deleting an area is not possible but only a total deletion (or undo's). There is still much much room for improvement. I have already told my students that next time I will do screen sharing to another online whiteboard (e.g. ONENOTE) because it frustrates me and them

ב-יום חמישי, 17 בספטמבר 2020 בשעה 10:10:21 UTC+3, ma...@soethe.net כתב/ה:

Fred Dixon

Sep 17, 2020, 7:05:49 AM9/17/20
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Vasyl,

> I installed BBB and like it very much.

We've done some whiteboard improvements in BigBlueButton 2.3-dev, currently in alpha2 release.  Could you try installing that on a test server and let us know if you see any improvement in the whiteboard responsiveness.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton

Ferdinand Soethe

Sep 17, 2020, 7:11:57 AM9/17/20
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to test this but so far I have no access to a 2.3dev-Server.

Kind regards
Ferdinand
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "bigbluebutton-users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bigbluebutton-users/CAOeuy5MqpMkpGviESir%3DHFmnQER_6mHjp3n2gtLh9ba9iO9mFw%40mail.gmail.com.

--
Ferdinand Soethe
Elbkamp 17

https://soethe.net

anton.g...@blindsidenetworks.com

Sep 17, 2020, 8:39:02 AM9/17/20
to bigbluebutton-users
Here is a public [testing only] 2.3-alpha-2 server where you can try the whiteboard https://test23.bigbluebutton.org/demo/demoHTML5.jsp
Some whiteboard improvements are in place already but some are still to be finalized (in upcoming alpha's or beta's) - like this one for example - https://github.com/bigbluebutton/bigbluebutton/pull/8788

-Anton

ma...@soethe.net

Sep 17, 2020, 10:06:12 AM9/17/20
to bigbluebutton-users
Thank you so much Anton for access to a test server.
It just tested drawing using a iPad Pro as a drawing tablett under Windows 10 and Chromium Edge.
With just one user (me) drawing seems to have gotten better.
Still some smoothing of lines but so far no dropping of segments and no odd distortions.
I'd love to re-run that test with 10 users and webcams turned on.
Still not so nice: Because the mouse cursor ist a pen-symbol it is kind of hard to see the line you are drawing.
Would it be possible to turn the cursor into just a tiny dot for the pen tool?

Anton Georgiev

Sep 17, 2020, 10:49:27 AM9/17/20
to bigbluebutton-users
Thank you for trying out the whiteboard and providing feedback!

> Still not so nice: Because the mouse cursor ist a pen-symbol it is kind of hard to see the line you are drawing.
> Would it be possible to turn the cursor into just a tiny dot for the pen tool?

I opened https://github.com/bigbluebutton/bigbluebutton/issues/10483 so expect to see the cursor adjustment in 2.3

-Anton

Ferdinand Soethe

Sep 17, 2020, 12:08:44 PM9/17/20
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

Vasyl Ostrovskyi

Sep 18, 2020, 7:01:45 AM9/18/20
to bigbluebutton-users
Not much better. I tried to write a  series of zeroes in test23 and the same in WBO (I compare BBB with WBO since the both are web-based and open source). WBO looks much smoother. I noticed that WBO has configurable option to set the maximal number of emitted events, which is by default 192 events / 4 sec, i.e., roughly 48 events per second. It seems that BBB accepts much less at the moment.
Regards,
 Vasyl
bbb.pngwbo.png
четвер, 17 вересня 2020 р. о 19:08:44 UTC+3 ma...@soethe.net пише:

rinam

Sep 21, 2020, 7:41:43 PM9/21/20
to bigbluebutton-users
tried it. much better: the writing is smoother and the point is more accurate.
please note that the undo works only once and deleting (the whole board- trash can) doesn't work at all.
looking foreword to more improvements and features

ב-יום חמישי, 17 בספטמבר 2020 בשעה 14:05:49 UTC+3, Fred Dixon כתב/ה: