Re: [bigbluebutton-users] Hyperlinks in Power Point presentation don't work in Moodle!

Fred Dixon

Aug 4, 2016, 4:52:55 PM8/4/16
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Nicholas,

Try saving the Word or PowerPoint document on a Windows machine (not Mac OS X) as PDF.

It seems that the Windows Office apps will save as PDF with links that are recognized by BigBlueButton when converted to SWF files.

Regards,... Fred

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 5:17 PM, Nicholas Ourusoff <nour...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have uploaded a Power Point slide presentation (.ppt1), with hperlinks to several Word documents.  I then uploladed as WORD documents, each of the target files of  the Power Point presentation.  When I click on a hperlink  in a slide, nothing happens.

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Nicholas Ourusoff

Aug 5, 2016, 3:30:58 AM8/5/16
to bigbluebutton-users
Fred.
I am very grateful for your prompt supportive response!

The following test did not work:
1.  I am on a Windows 10 laptop, using current WPS Presentation Software and, after changing the first two hyperlink names in this file from <name>.doc to <name>.pdf, I saved the slide show as a .pptx (Microsoft Power Point 2007/2010 presentation) file.
[I don't own Microsoft Office; later I can try this experiment with Microsoft Power Point 2007/2010] at a college library at home (presently in Hanko, Finland)
2.  I exported the pptx presentation to pdf; and I exported the 2 target .doc files to pdf. (I used the Acrobat facility that is activated when you click export to pdf in the File/Save As menu)
3.  In Moodle, I uploaded the presentation pdf file and the 2 target pdf files.
4. Showing the presentation, I clicked the 1st hyperlink (which was colored) -  nothing happened.

I tried the same experiment using Open Office 4.1.2.  The Power Point presentation was saved as an .odf presentation (when I tried to save it as a Micorosft 2003/2007 .ppt file, the dialog box stated that some errors might occur because some features might not be supported), and converted the .odf file to .pdf using the Acrobat facility.  In Moodle, the new .pdf presentation and the same two targets of the 1st two hyperlinks were again uploaded (converted pdf files). When I clicked on the first hyperlink - it was not colored, but a linking cursor displayed; apparently recognized as a hyperlink - nothing happened. (Maybe I should have opened the two ..doc files in Open Office and converted them from Open Office to pdf?)

I will greatly appreciate your continued support...I have committed to using videolectures on a Moodle 2.9 server in Ukhtga, Russia in a few weeks!
Cheers, and again, thanks for any comments.advice.
Nick Ourusoff

On Thursday, August 4, 2016 at 11:52:55 PM UTC+3, Fred Dixon wrote:
Hi Nicholas,

Try saving the Word or PowerPoint document on a Windows machine (not Mac OS X) as PDF.

It seems that the Windows Office apps will save as PDF with links that are recognized by BigBlueButton when converted to SWF files.

Regards,... Fred

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 5:17 PM, Nicholas Ourusoff <nour...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have uploaded a Power Point slide presentation (.ppt1), with hperlinks to several Word documents.  I then uploladed as WORD documents, each of the target files of  the Power Point presentation.  When I click on a hperlink  in a slide, nothing happens.

Fred Dixon

Aug 5, 2016, 7:43:29 AM8/5/16
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Nicolas,

> [I don't own Microsoft Office; later I can try this experiment with Microsoft Power Point 2007/2010] at a college library at home (presently in Hanko, Finland)

There may be other combinations that works, but we found that when using Microsoft PowerPoint on Windows to save a .PPT to .PDF, after uploading the links in the presentation were clickable.

Try that path and let us know if it works for you.

Regards,... Fred

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 4:30 AM, Nicholas Ourusoff <nour...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Nicholas Ourusoff

Aug 6, 2016, 3:20:50 AM8/6/16
to bigbluebutton-users
Hello, Fred -

A colleague of mine, Irina Marakasova (she has been director of the Center for Distance Education at Ukhta State Technical University), tried a test using Microsoft Power Point, converting it to a pdf file.  The hyperlinks did not work - were not clickable.
I will do the test after returning to the US.

I Googled a question: "What happens to hypoerlinks when Adobe converts a Microsoft Power Point file to pdf?"  YOu had mentikoned SWF files, about which I know little: I wanted to know how SWF files played a role. I didn't find an answer to this question, because I found this:

Apparently, there are many with the same question.  One answer suggests using a converter program,  zamzar.com, which according to one person who was trying to solve the problem, works.  I have submitted my Power Point file (saved with WPS Presentation as a Microsoft 2007/2010.pptx file) to see if it works.

I'll keep pursuing this once I get home.
Nick

On Thursday, August 4, 2016 at 11:52:55 PM UTC+3, Fred Dixon wrote:
Hi Nicholas,

Try saving the Word or PowerPoint document on a Windows machine (not Mac OS X) as PDF.

It seems that the Windows Office apps will save as PDF with links that are recognized by BigBlueButton when converted to SWF files.

Regards,... Fred

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 5:17 PM, Nicholas Ourusoff <nour...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have uploaded a Power Point slide presentation (.ppt1), with hperlinks to several Word documents.  I then uploladed as WORD documents, each of the target files of  the Power Point presentation.  When I click on a hperlink  in a slide, nothing happens.

Fred Dixon

Aug 6, 2016, 7:32:52 AM8/6/16
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Nicholas,

> (she has been director of the Center for Distance Education at Ukhta State Technical University), tried a test using Microsoft Power Point,

Can you confirm that she was using Microsoft PPT on Windows? Can you find out which specific version she was using?

Regards,... Fred

On Sat, Aug 6, 2016 at 4:20 AM, Nicholas Ourusoff <nour...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Ирина Маракасова

Aug 8, 2016, 5:58:25 AM8/8/16
to bigbluebutton-users
Good day, Nicholas and Fred!
I am using PowerPoint 2016. Now I'd like to check the simplest case: links to the part of the same document.
When I open this file in the Adobe Acrobat Reader all works perfectly, but when I upload it to the BBB conference room all links are visible but don't work.
For example I attach resulting pdf-file.

Thanks!
Irina.
1 - Week of Sept 13 Fundamental Concepts of OOP_mini.pdf

Fred Dixon

Aug 8, 2016, 8:40:30 AM8/8/16
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi,

This was helpful.  Now we see what you are trying to do.

As background, when saving a .PPT (or .PPTX) document as PDF using PowerPoint on Windows, links to external URLs are clickable in BigBlueButton.  Clicking such a link will open the URL in a new browser tab.

However, the links in your document are internal: they are linking to specific pages in the document.  Unfortunately, internal links don't convert when uploading a document to BigBlueButton.

Regards,.. Fred

Ирина Маракасова

Aug 9, 2016, 4:21:25 AM8/9/16
to bigbluebutton-users
Thank you Fred for your reply!
You are right - we have no problems with URL-links, the problem is only with links to a part of the same document and links to another document.
Links to another documents are clickable but it opens error page (file not found), may be I have to upload files for linking with special method (I upload them with the same way as my presentation).

The attaching files are presentation converted to pdf and file for link. (in Acrobat Reader all works perfectly)
Thanks for your support!

Regards, Irina.

On Thursday, August 4, 2016 at 11:52:55 PM UTC+3, Fred Dixon wrote:
Hi Nicholas,

Try saving the Word or PowerPoint document on a Windows machine (not Mac OS X) as PDF.

It seems that the Windows Office apps will save as PDF with links that are recognized by BigBlueButton when converted to SWF files.

Regards,... Fred

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 5:17 PM, Nicholas Ourusoff <nour...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have uploaded a Power Point slide presentation (.ppt1), with hperlinks to several Word documents.  I then uploladed as WORD documents, each of the target files of  the Power Point presentation.  When I click on a hperlink  in a slide, nothing happens.

Presentation.pdf
Document.doc

Fred Dixon

Aug 9, 2016, 8:49:15 AM8/9/16
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi,

> may be I have to upload files for linking with special method (I upload them with the same way as my presentation).

There is no special upload method -- just the one built into BigBlueButton.  We've opened an enhancement request for this

In context of other enhancements planned for BigBlueButton, see

this isn't high-priority enhancement as the presenter already has the ability to jump to a specific page when clicking the '[X/Y]' button between the <- and -> arrows.  Also, it doesn't make sense for the user to click an internal link (and go to a new page) as only the presenter has the control to change the current page.

Regards,... Fred

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 5:21 AM, Ирина Маракасова <imatr...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Nicholas Ourusoff

Aug 9, 2016, 5:01:39 PM8/9/16
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Fred -

I beg to differ with your analysis:
1.  URL's are no problem, agreed.
2.  My hyperlinks are generally RELATIVE  links to other documents based on a relative address, such as the PATH to the folder in which the presentation file resides.  These are not INTERNAL links (as defined in HTML) -  links that are in the same page.  Relative links are links to documents based on a relative address, such as the PATH to the folder in which the presentation resides.

A URL is not a typical hyperlink. because it defines a format - an html page.
A hyperlink is a PATH to another document associated with a text phrase, whose format is carried by the name of the document, in its extension.

What is missing in BigBlueButton is the idea that the set of hyperlinks in a typical Power Point presentation - defines a namespace, a PATH to a set of documents.

Power Point is a hypermedia application.
BigBlueButton does not support multimedia applications in general, because it does not use the concept of a PATH to a unique namespace (the names of the documents are unique to the folder defined by the PATH).

When I upload a Power Point presentation to Moodle, I usually upload a zipped file containing the pptx file and the set of named documents that are targets of the link. And Moodle takes the pptx file as the application and knows that all of the other documents are in the same folder (or subfolder) of the Power Point document. (There is a ../ prefix to each document name.)

Nick
PS I realize that I am a neophyte...forgive my trying to be critical...

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-users.

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Nicholas Ourusoff
480 Burpee Hill Road
New London, NH 03257
Skype: nick.ourusoff
Skype telephone;    (603) 873-4170

Fred Dixon

Aug 9, 2016, 8:00:51 PM8/9/16
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Nicholas,

> I beg to differ with your analysis ...

We appreciate your feedback!   There is a bit more thought that usually goes into picking the priorities for a release.

The features you are asking would require changes to pdf2swf and the BigBlueButton client.  It's all possible, but looking at our road map, there are other features (such as multi-user whiteboard) that would have a greater benefit to the community.

To understand more how we prioritize features for a release, see

Regards,... Fred

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-users.

Nicholas Ourusoff
480 Burpee Hill Road
New London, NH 03257
Skype: nick.ourusoff
Skype telephone;    (603) 873-4170

Nicholas Ourusoff

Aug 11, 2016, 8:10:40 AM8/11/16
to bigbluebutton-users
Fred -

I am thinking to do the following:
1. Convert all of my relative hyperlinks URL absolute addresses on my Microsoft One Drive account.
2.  Share the folder with my presentations with BigBlueButton.  How would I do that, that is, can you give me a link or email?
(See https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07)
Do I need to give BigBlueButton view or also edit capabilities?

Thanks,
Nick
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to bigbluebutton-users+unsub...@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-users.

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Nicholas Ourusoff
480 Burpee Hill Road
New London, NH 03257
Skype: nick.ourusoff
Skype telephone;    (603) 873-4170

Fred Dixon

Aug 11, 2016, 10:54:37 AM8/11/16
to BigBlueButton-users
Hi Nicholas,

> 1. Convert all of my relative hyperlinks URL absolute addresses on my Microsoft One Drive account.

If the links to specific documents are publically accessible, then when the user clicks the link it will open the link in a new browser tab and display the document.

> 2.  Share the folder with my presentations with BigBlueButton.  How would I do that, that is, can you give me a link or email?

The BigBlueButton server only knows about the documents you upload, not folders on your computer (or on an external service).  Of course, you could extend BigBlueButton to have this knowledge if you wish.

The URL you posted to Share OneDrive Folders looks like it creates public links.  If you embed these in PowerPoint, save as PDF (on Windows), and upload to BigBlueButton, then clicking on the link in the presentation area should open the document in a new tab.

Regards,... Fred

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-users.

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Nicholas Ourusoff
480 Burpee Hill Road
New London, NH 03257
Skype: nick.ourusoff
Skype telephone;    (603) 873-4170

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Nicholas Ourusoff

Aug 11, 2016, 11:15:24 AM8/11/16
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Fred -
The main idea is that I should make OneDrive Folder(s) publicly accessible.
My colleague, Irina Marakasova, thinks she can connect to Google Drive from Moodle on her Distance Education server account (?).

Cheers!  I'll educate myself further on your development project - thank you for the links.
Nick