How to disable private chat

gcm india

Mar 21, 2023, 5:06:15 AM3/21/23
to BigBlueButton-Setup

Hi Guys,

We would like to modify our server by removing the private chat function all together, is there any way to disable the private chat function for everyone including the moderator, not just lock it?

Regards,

GCM

sd...@distancelearning.cloud

Mar 21, 2023, 6:39:23 AM3/21/23
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

GCM,   post just in 1 forum..  adding the same message to multiple forums clutters the list.

https://docs.bigbluebutton.org/dev/api.html#create

you can disable private chat by adding a param on the create call.

You also can lock private chat by default, and let moderators enable only when they need it for teaching

Regards,

Stephen

Vishnu Gudali

Mar 24, 2023, 2:36:07 AM3/24/23
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hello Stephen,

I am working on the similar requirement - disable private chat all-together.
We are using GL:V2 and BBB:2.6.
Would you please help point me to a link on how to add the extra parameter in Greenlight to disable private chat when a meeting is started.

Thank you
Vishnu. G

--
Best Regards,
Vishnu. G

detlef K

Mar 24, 2023, 6:34:24 AM3/24/23
to BigBlueButton-Setup
The private chat can be activated in the started room under
>Settings > Participant rights --- Private chat ON / OFF

can be switched off.
If you want this setting to be "OFF" by default you have to change this in the file "bigbluebutton.properties".

/usr/share/bbb-web/WEB-INF/classes/bigbluebutton.properties
# Default settings for breakout rooms
breakoutRoomsRecord=false
breakoutRoomsPrivateChatEnabled=false

# default lock settings
lockSettingsDisableCam=false
lockSettingsDisableMic=false
lockSettingsDisablePrivateChat=true << change here
lockSettingsDisablePublicChat=false
lockSettingsDisableNotes=false
lockSettingsHideUserList=false
lockSettingsLockOnJoin=true
lockSettingsLockOnJoinConfigurable=false
lockSettingsHideViewersCursor=false

Hope this helps...

Greatings  Detlef
www.BBB-Akademie.de , IT-Dienstleistungszentrum.de

detlef K

Mar 24, 2023, 6:49:30 AM3/24/23
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Addendum: The private chat is not affected for moderators. Moderators can always write and receive private messages.
User > User is locked
User <> Mod is possible

Vishnu Gudali

Mar 25, 2023, 7:34:22 AM3/25/23
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the reply.
We have a use case to disable Private Chat all together.
1. As suggested I made changes in bigbluebutton.properties.
2. I modified "bigbluebutton-html5\imports\ui\components\lock-viewers\component.jsx" and disabled toggle option for Private Chat.
3. But here is the catch, when a user is locked/unlocked by the Moderator, the user is able to do Private Chat with other users.

I am looking for help to get around this use case :)

Thank you,
Vishnu. G