Make AWS S3 bucket the storage drive for Scalelite

Anand Christudas

Apr 17, 2024, 5:46:55 PMApr 17
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi Everyone,

Can someone guide me through how I can mount my S3 bucket to /var/bigbluebutton of my scalelite server. I tried mounting the S3 bucket to /var/bigbluebutton using s3fs-fuse, it gets mounted but the new recording doesn't seem to show up in the S3 bucket or getting displaced on Moodle.

Can someone please guide me as to how to make this work? Thanks a lot.

Thierry Kauffmann

Apr 18, 2024, 3:43:19 PMApr 18
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi Anand,

First of All the two following folders should be created locally on your Scalelite server (you might create symlinks for that) :

/var/bigbluebutton/spool (where recording archives get initially copied from BBB servers)
/var/bigbluebutton/recording/scalelite/ (where archives are temporarily extracted when processed by "scalelite-recording-importer")

(These two folders mights be different on your setup considering a possibly other mapping in your docker-compose.yml file)

This is to avoid the overhead of copying data three times on the S3 bucket, which is heavily time consuming.

Kind regards,
Thierry

Anand Christudas

Apr 24, 2024, 7:06:44 AMApr 24
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi Thierry,

Thanks for your reply.

I used the Lazy Development method to install Scalelite so both the folders you mentioned are already there by default.

Could you please explain what you meant, because I couldn't understand what you meant?

Thanks a lot.

Thierry Kauffmann

May 1, 2024, 7:57:40 AMMay 1
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi Anand,

What I meant is :
For perfgormance reasons, the two folders I mentionned must exist outside the S3 mount (i.e locally on you Scalelite server).
You can achieve this by first mounting your S3 bucket on `/var/bigbluebutton` and then bind-mounting `/var/bigbluebutton/spool` and `/var/bigbluebutton/recording/scalelite/` to a folder on a local (classic, fast) file system.

Your file `/etc/fstab` might look like this (should be adapted...) :

```
mybucket /var/bigbluebutton fuse.s3fs _netdev,allow_other,passwd_file=/home/user/.passwd-aws-s3fs... 0 0
/var/local/spool  /var/bigbluebutton/spool none bind,defaults,x-systemd.requires-mounts-for=/var/bigbluebutton 0 0
/var/local/recording/scalelite /var/bigbluebutton/recording/scalelite/  none bind,defaults,x-systemd.requires-mounts-for=/var/bigbluebutton 0 0
```
Please feel free to contact me directly if you need further assistance.

Kind regards,
Thierry