Coturn/stun/turn server in an AWS setup and bandwidth costs

Michael Plotsker

Jan 26, 2021, 4:44:39 PM1/26/21
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi BBB gurus,
Can anyone confirm that adding a coturn/turn/stun server in my AWS setup of greenlight and 2 standalone bbb servers will nearly double my bandwidth costs?
Is the traffic from the stun server to the bbb servers internal to the AWS network or external?
Thanks
Michael Plotsker

Fred Dixon

Jan 26, 2021, 8:23:07 PM1/26/21
to BigBlueButton-.
It should not increase your bandwidth costs.  If you put the TURN server and BigBlueButton server in the same region, then data transfer between the servers is free.

Externally, a user will connect directly to the BigBlueButton server or indirectly through the TURN server -- that data transferred to/from each user will be the same.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton

Michael Plotsker

Jan 26, 2021, 10:17:52 PM1/26/21
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the information

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "BigBlueButton-Setup" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bigbluebutton-setup/CAOeuy5PYd0SZwLa%3DQZbLpjZ%3DCoD_Ly_q6hiV-npecd%2BLqTTdUA%40mail.gmail.com.

Michael Plotsker

Jan 28, 2021, 5:24:03 PM1/28/21
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Fred,
To clarify; by the same region, do you mean:
1. AWS route 53
2. reverse proxy from the stun server to the bbb servers
3. all of my ec2 instances in AWS region US-East-2a
4. AWS private hosted zone?

Thanks
Michael

basisbit

Jan 29, 2021, 9:01:00 AM1/29/21
to BigBlueButton-Setup
You best ask AWS support for such details about usage fees. Majority of traffic will either directly go from the BBB servers to the users, or from the BBB servers to the TURN servers and then to the users, depending on your setup / configuration.