No webcam or screenshare (error 1020) - Do I need my own TURN server?

David White

Sep 15, 2021, 8:31:15 PM9/15/21
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
I recently moved a fully functional Big Blue Button server into a new datacenter.
For reasons I won't get into, I'm going to have to use NAT here in the new datacenter.

I have everything re-IP'd.
Greenlight is working fine, as well as audio & chat. But video & screensharing isn't working.

It looks like my stunclient test is able to bind, but the Behavior and Filtering tests are failing. I have redacted a portion of the IP address below:

root@meet:/home/dwhite# stunclient --mode full --localport 30000 --localaddr 198.x.x.194 stun.l.google.com 19302
Binding test: success
Local address: 198.x.x.194:30000
Mapped address: 198.x.x.193:30000
Behavior test: fail
Filtering test: fail

Running a packet capture on the firewall, I see the packets exiting AND coming back into the router. Additionally, running a packet capture (using tcpdump) on the Linux server, I see outbound and return traffic.

It should be noted that I'm using a loopback address on lo to assign the public IP address to the server. So this isn't a "traditional" NAT setup.

The following blog describes exactly what I'm doing: https://munari.xyz/2020/10/25/bigbluebutton-behind-nat/

I'm trying to figure out what these "Behavior" and "Filtering" tests are, and how to get them to succeed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
David White

David White

Sep 15, 2021, 8:58:27 PM9/15/21
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
I'm an idiot.
If you look at my output, you'll see my Local address and my Mapped address is different.

My network's default Source NAT address is the .193.
I added a new Source NAT rule to the router for this IP to remain Source NAT'd to the .194 address, and now the tests are passing:

root@meet:/home/dwhite# stunclient --mode full --localport 30000 --localaddr 198.73.3.194 stun.l.google.com 19302

Binding test: success
Local address: 198.x.x.194:30000
Mapped address: 198.x.x.194:30000
Behavior test: success
Nat behavior: Direct Mapping
Filtering test: success
Nat filtering: Endpoint Independent Filtering

Big Blue Button still isn't working, though.
I need to dig into the configurations some more... I'm sure there's a way to manually force the Source NAT locally.
Because by default, the traffic wants to go out the private IP (192.168.100.120).

My command only works when I specify the localaddr address:

root@meet:/home/dwhite# stunclient --mode full --localport 30000 --localaddr 198.x.x.194 stun.l.google.com 19302

I'd still be grateful for input on this. :)

--
David White

basisbit

Sep 16, 2021, 10:42:06 AM9/16/21
to BigBlueButton-Setup

Yes, you'll need to run our own stun + turn server next to a BBB server to have a decent setup with low amounts of connection issues. Please see https://docs.bigbluebutton.org/admin/setup-turn-server.html how to install it and follow that website exactly.