Udp performance degraded

M. Müller

Jan 26, 2021, 4:02:31 AM1/26/21
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi
BBB runs fine but as I am planning a stress test I measured the bandwidth with iperf2.
iperf -s and iperf -c bbb.myhost.com
Tcp, local (same switch) : 900Mbit
iperf -s -u and iperf -c -u bbb.myhost.com
udp, local: 1MBit!!
In words one single MBit.
Reducing the packet size to 1472 or even 500 bytes didn't change anything.
Can anyone confirm that those values are not normal or does BBB somehow interfere?
No conferences are running currently.

Fred Dixon

Jan 26, 2021, 8:02:13 AM1/26/21
to BigBlueButton-.
Hi,

> udp, local: 1MBit!!
> In words one single MBit.

Can you elaborate a bit more -- are you seeing this traffic on the BigBlueButton server itself when idle or when there is an active meeting?  What activity are you doing at the time of this traffic?

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton

basisbit

Jan 26, 2021, 11:24:52 AM1/26/21
to BigBlueButton-Setup
One of the lucky 10.000.
TLDR: the iperf version which is part of the Ubuntu 16.04 repositories has a critical known bug so that its results are not usable.
I'd suggest you to try another tool to test your network performance.

Malte Müller

Jan 26, 2021, 11:42:15 AM1/26/21
Am 26.01.2021 um 17:24 schrieb basisbit:
One of the lucky 10.000.
TLDR: the iperf version which is part of the Ubuntu 16.04 repositories has a critical known bug so that its results are not usable.

<sigh> Thank you! That explains, why i even got no more than 1MBit locally.

Thank you!

kind regards
Malte

schartiie

Jan 28, 2021, 6:33:45 AM1/28/21
to BigBlueButton-Setup
@basisbit:
I ran iperf3 checks yesterday and had also strange observations: udp transfer errors using 1M or 2M bandwidth showed lots of errors while bandwidths below and above showed no errors... (only when the server was in the Internet)
A iperf3 server in the same subnet did not show any error...

Regards
Jörg

Stefan L.

Jan 28, 2021, 6:41:35 AM1/28/21
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
This here mailing list is about BigBlueButton setup, not about general linux support.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "BigBlueButton-Setup" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bigbluebutton-setup/6e832df2-3cad-4c9a-929d-6fd00b1988c9n%40googlegroups.com.

schartiie

Jan 28, 2021, 6:57:57 AM1/28/21
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi basisbit,
I hoped so that this is a mailing list for BBB Setup!

As you have read in my other post (which you have answered already, thanks for that) I have certain performace issues with my BBB server.

So you recommend to not do some BBB troubleshooting using iperf as I understand.

Regards
Jörg

basisbit

Jan 28, 2021, 7:10:26 AM1/28/21
to BigBlueButton-Setup
@Jörg, this is not true. I told Malte about a known issue with the old iperf version of Ubuntu 16.04. That has nothing to do with your 10G ethernet network interface issues. Regarding that network interface issue, please ask for support in a linux / ubuntu support forum, as it seems that your network card issue is not a problem of BigBlueButton itself.