BBB 2.2.31 tmp-folder security

Tobias Sänger

Dec 18, 2020, 11:46:37 AM12/18/20
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hello,
i upgraded 2.2.29 to 2.2.30 and now to 2.2.31
Actually i get the Error-Message that i can not upload presentations.
I figured out that the Problem should be the permissions of the /tmp/ Folder.
When i change them to 777 the upload works fine. But after some time the permissions are set to
drwx-----T  28 root root 4.0K Dec 18 17:41 tmp
Who is changing the permissions and why BBB Presentations-Upload wont work with the settings of Ubuntu 16.04?

Thanks a lot for Help
Tobias

Fred Dixon

Dec 18, 2020, 3:03:19 PM12/18/20
to BigBlueButton-.
HI Tobias,

Interesting.  Was this changed to /tmp after the upgrade?  Is there anything else running on the server?  How did you upgrade (step-by-step or bbb-install.sh)?

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton

Tobias Sänger

Dec 18, 2020, 3:17:13 PM12/18/20
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi,
before the upgrade i did not realize the problem.
The server is used only for BBB.
I upgraded by using apt-get update and reconfigured some settings.
Thanks a lot.
Best regards
Tobias

Fred Dixon

Dec 18, 2020, 3:55:27 PM12/18/20
to BigBlueButton-.
Hmm ... first time we've seen this.

> When i change them to 777 the upload works fine. But after some time the permissions are set to
drwx-----T  28 root root 4.0K Dec 18 17:41 tmp

Just to confirm: you upgraded the packages and changed the permissions to 777, then permissions changed back to the above at some point without any subsequent package upgrade?

Regards,... Fred

Tobias Sänger

Dec 18, 2020, 3:57:52 PM12/18/20
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Yes, so it is...

Hi,
it seems that ngnix takes the changes. I disabled the cron:
#35 2 * * 1 /bin/systemctl reload nginx
and the folderpermissions is not been changed.

Tobias Sänger

Jan 26, 2021, 11:44:15 AM1/26/21
to BigBlueButton-Setup

Hi ,
i looks like the Problem still exists. But i do not know why.
Can i change the tmp folder for bbb?
I do not know how to fix. All my virtual BBB Server located on hetzner Cloud have the same problem.
Thnaks a lot
Tobias