BBB 2.4 - problem with presentations (pptx and pdf)

Zbigniew Łęski

Jan 13, 2022, 6:48:54 AM1/13/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
I have big problem with BBB and presentations. We have BBB 2.4 (upgraded from 2.3 though official installation script).
After upload a presentation we have to wait quite a long time for it to appear. With presentations of a dozen or so slides, there is no problem with displaying them. However, if the presentation is longer, a black screen appears first with a lower bar with the slide number, and after trying to minimize and then restore the presentation, the following message appears:
'app.error.fallback.view.title
app.error.fallback.view.description
Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'width')'
The problem was already in BBB 2.3, but there was simply a black screen with no message. Of course BBB 2.3 was installed on a clean system through official install script.
I've checked all logs on server and I don't see any errors... I really don't have idea where to look for the reason. I would appreciate any suggestions that might allow me to locate and fix the problem

Fred Dixon

Jan 13, 2022, 7:51:44 AM1/13/22
to BigBlueButton-.
Hi Zbigniew,

Can you try to reproduce this on our demo server at

and provide a sample presentation to trigger it.  Thanks!

Regards,..Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton

Zbigniew Łęski

Jan 14, 2022, 9:46:31 AM1/14/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
On the demo server everything works correctly. Some of ours lecturers use really long presentations (about 100 slides). With such a presentation, the problem on our server will certainly occur. I've tried the same presentation on demo server and it works without problems.
I really don't have an idea where to look for a source of the problem. Our server  has it's own public IP (we don't use NAT) and we don't have turn sever configured. We have our own ssl certificate.
Regards
Zbyszek

Vitor Conti

Jan 14, 2022, 9:30:20 PM1/14/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zbigniew,

Would you please be able to replace your own SSL with  Let's Encrypt with Certbot and give it another try? I had a similar issue and when changed the SSL certificate it worked wonders.

Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Vitor Mendes

Fred Dixon

Jan 15, 2022, 4:53:32 AM1/15/22
to BigBlueButton-.
Hi Zbigniew,

Also, does your server meet the minimum specifications for a BigBlueButton server?

Regards,... Fred

Zbigniew Łęski

Jan 16, 2022, 1:04:29 PM1/16/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Our server meets the requirements well above the optimal. And talking about the ssl - due to our security policy we must use our own certificate.

Vitor Conti

Jan 16, 2022, 8:44:22 PM1/16/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zbigniew,

Due to your security policy, I understand that you must use your certificate. However, to find the problem, could you please try to install a different SSL certificate for testing purposes? If your SSL is causing the issue, then either you may have to work on your SSL certificate.

Thanks,

Zbigniew Łęski

Jan 17, 2022, 4:18:25 AM1/17/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
OK. I'll give a try, but I'll able to do it at the end of the week. It's Jan Długosz University in Czestochowa (Poland) and if I install different SSL certificate our teachers will not be able to connect to the BBB through the Moodle
Greetings

sd...@distancelearning.cloud

Jan 17, 2022, 8:43:33 AM1/17/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

Run this on your server…

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/

make sure you get an A,  and that you don’t have “full chain issues”:,  have seen in the past were basic ssl works with nginx,  but the java uploads fail because the cert chain in incomplete and missing some of the intermediate certs. Needed by back end.

Regards,

Stephen.

Zbigniew Łęski

Jan 17, 2022, 9:46:17 AM1/17/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Here are the results. I have an A, and I have one "chain issue" (not full chain). According to this: https://success.qualys.com/discussions/s/article/000003197
it increases the handshake latency... But I don't quite understand how to fix it...  If I run:
echo "" | openssl s_client -connect webinar.ujd.edu.pl:443 2>&1 | grep -A 6 "Certificate chain"
I get:
Certificate chain
 0 s:/C=PL/ST=\xC5\x9Bl\xC4\x85skie/L=Cz\xC4\x99stochowa/OU=DII/O=Uniwersytet Humanistyczno-Przyrodniczy im. Jana D\xC5\x82ugosza/CN=*.ujd.edu.pl
   i:/C=PL/O=Unizeto Technologies S.A./OU=Certum Certification Authority/CN=Certum Organization Validation CA SHA2
 1 s:/C=PL/O=Unizeto Technologies S.A./OU=Certum Certification Authority/CN=Certum Organization Validation CA SHA2
   i:/C=PL/O=Unizeto Technologies S.A./OU=Certum Certification Authority/CN=Certum Trusted Network CA
 2 s:/C=PL/O=Unizeto Technologies S.A./OU=Certum Certification Authority/CN=Certum Trusted Network CA
   i:/C=PL/O=Unizeto Sp. z o.o./CN=Certum CA

analyze.pdf

sd...@distancelearning.cloud

Jan 17, 2022, 11:14:09 AM1/17/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

Does the default.pdf load in the BBB meeting when it starts?

default.pdf (ujd.edu.pl) ß I see it loads thru nginx.

Regards,
Stephen

Zbigniew Łęski

Jan 17, 2022, 3:15:32 PM1/17/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Yes - default.pdf loads without problems. Short and simple presentations loads without problems. The problem is only with longer and more complicated files.

Mark Ginter

Jan 17, 2022, 7:21:17 PM1/17/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
could it be related to this section in /etc/bigbluebutton/nginx/web or web.nginx

---
# high limit for presentation as bbb-web will reject upload if larger than configured
                        client_max_body_size       1000m;
                        client_body_buffer_size    128k;

                        proxy_connect_timeout      90;
                        proxy_send_timeout         90;
                        proxy_read_timeout         90;

                        proxy_buffer_size          4k;
                        proxy_buffers              4 32k;
                        proxy_busy_buffers_size    64k;
                        proxy_temp_file_write_size 64k;

                        include    fastcgi_params;

                        proxy_request_buffering off;
---
?

sd...@distancelearning.cloud

Jan 18, 2022, 5:40:01 AM1/18/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

Can you try and upload one of the problem presentations on demo.bigbluebutton.org and see if you get the same issue?

Zbigniew Łęski

Jan 18, 2022, 7:57:57 AM1/18/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Yes I've tried upload problem presentations on demo and they works. The problem is somewhere on my server.
Mark Gitner - any ideas what could I change in this file? Upload of presentations goes without problems, but after loading there is a black screen or an error message instead of its content
Here is one of problem presentations: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AjHo-urVSu6sg7QstyCeOjsZcDx1GQ?e=OGqIOk . It was sent to me by one of our teachers. Doesn't matter if I try to load it as pptx or pdf - the result is the same. And on the demo site this presentation works without problems.
Here is a screen recording showing the problem: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjHo-urVSu6sg7QrSPad-iyF947N7A?e=5wLqTt . Default.pdf shows normally. I choose the presentation (the one from  the previous link). The presentation loads and a black screen appears. After about two minutes, a bar with slide numbers appears. Now after minimizing and restoring the presentation I get an error message and it remains even if I switch to Default.pdf at this point.
Our server has two Intel Xenon Silver 4208 2.1GHz processors (each of them has 8 cores and 16 threads), 96GB RAM and 1,6TB HDD.

Vasyl Ostrovskyi

Jan 19, 2022, 4:53:07 AM1/19/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Once upon a time, I had problems with presentations, and somewhere in this group I found and advice to check DNS. I installed local caching-only nameserver and problem disappeared.
So, just to be sure, double-check proper and reliable functionality of DNS on your server.
Regards,
 Vasyl

вівторок, 18 січня 2022 р. о 14:57:57 UTC+2 zbysz...@gmail.com пише:

Zbigniew Łęski

Jan 24, 2022, 3:49:45 AM1/24/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup

Last weekend I've installed lets encrypt certificate - no change. The problematic presentation attached to one of my previous posts behaved exactly the same - black screen, after two minutes a bar with slide numbers but without their content and an error after minimizing and re-maximizing the presentation. Talking about DNS - as the University we have our own DNS servers. I have no access to them but they just work as the should. Is something concrete what should I check?
Regards
Zbyszek
Message has been deleted

Martin Thomas Schrott

Jan 26, 2022, 3:50:38 AM1/26/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com, Juan Pablo Miranda

Hi,

we randomly had a quite similar problem with large files once upon a time.

We found out, that this happened when a recording was rendered and the file was to large, because then the timeouts where to short. We encreased all timeouts we could find for processing files by libreoffice and nginx and so on. this helped.

But I am not sure, if this case is the same, as it was just randomly on our servers :-/

cheers

Martin

Am 25.01.2022 um 21:33 schrieb Juan Pablo Miranda:
Hi, Zbyszek.
You have chain issues in your own ssl certificate. Perhaps this could be another thing to resolve.
However if you still have the same issue with presentations, what format do you use to upload them to the conference?
Do you have the same issue when upload a big presentation in PDF format?
Regards.
JP

Zbigniew Łęski

Jan 28, 2022, 4:45:17 AM1/28/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
I'll try to resolve chain issue this weekend. Talking about format of the presentation - it doesn't matter if it is pptx or pdf. The same result.
Martin - thanks for suggestion with timeout. I'll give a try this weekend. Any sugestion which timeouts I should check first?
Regards
Zbyszek

Antonio Guirado Puerta

May 12, 2022, 10:19:59 AM5/12/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hello,

I have the same issue. It`s clearly a problem of certificate chain validation. My provider use a intermediate certificate that it is not recognized by ubuntu. I have update ca-certs and load manually the certificate. Now, if I do a wget from BBB toBBB there is not error to load the page. The issue is that I think some component of react (relative to presentation) does not use this new cert.

Any ideas?
Thankss

amguirado73

May 16, 2022, 4:43:33 PM5/16/22