Slow echo test with Firefox

Thierry Kauffmann

Sep 7, 2021, 5:26:10 AM9/7/21
to BigBlueButton-Setup

Hi,
We're facing a "slow echo test" issue with a limited number of browsers.
Echo test takes up to 15 seconds with Firefox at some locations whereas it takes up between 4 and 10 seconds maximum with chrome or chromium.

Using Firefox on test.bigbluebutton.org only takes up a few seconds on the same computer and location.

I wonder whether we have to set up a Stun server ? Where is the configuration used by Freeswitch when launching the echo test ? Is the file /usr/share/bbb-web/WEB-INF/classes/spring/turn-stun-servers.xml the only place for it ?

Kind regards,
Thierry

Philipp Memmel

Sep 7, 2021, 5:39:57 AM9/7/21
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

setting up a STUN-/TURN-Server and editing
/usr/share/bbb-web/WEB-INF/classes/spring/turn-stun-servers.xml should
be sufficient for Freeswitch, yes.

Tip: To prevent your configuration there from being overwritten by any
update you can just copy the template from
/usr/share/bbb-web/WEB-INF/classes/spring/turn-stun-servers.xml to
/etc/bigbluebutton/ and make your adaptions there. If this file exists,
the file /usr/share/bbb-web/WEB-INF/classes/spring/turn-stun-servers.xml
will be ignored.

If you want to try to speed up the process, you can try to let kurento
do the the handling by setting
experimentalUseKmsTrickleIceForMicrophone: true in
/usr/share/meteor/bundle/programs/server/assets/app/config/settings.yml
(or better: in override file /etc/bigbluebutton/bbb-html5.yml)

This will make kurento figure out the connection and tell Freeswitch
which connection to use (kurento should be quicker at that). Care: this
is declared as experimental. You definitely want to test that in all
possible test cases (ipv6 etc.). This probably will only work, if
kurento and freeswitch have the same network setup (both being able to
use ipv6 for example).

You probably also want to disable the stun server key in
/etc/kurento/modules/kurento/WebRtcEndpoint.conf.ini and set your
external IP there manually (should be the fastest way). Alternatively
set your own stun server there (probably still fast).

@Community: If I'm wrong about anything here, please correct me :-)

Pypo
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bigbluebutton-setup/90bc3bfb-4d19-43f9-8d16-8a59719e91c8n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bigbluebutton-setup/90bc3bfb-4d19-43f9-8d16-8a59719e91c8n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

navid naghdi

Sep 7, 2021, 6:09:20 AM9/7/21
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Check the freeswitch settings.

nano /opt/freeswitch/conf/vars.xml
< X-PRE-PROCESS cmd="set" data="external_rtp_ip=famaserver.com"/ >
< X-PRE-PROCESS cmd="set" data="external_sip_ip=famaserver.com"/ >

nano /opt/freeswitch/conf/sip_profiles/external.xml
< param name="ext-rtp-ip" value="$${external_rtp_ip}"/ >
< param name="ext-sip-ip" value="$${external_sip_ip}"/ >

Thierry Kauffmann

Sep 7, 2021, 6:19:21 AM9/7/21
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Thank you both. I will try out your suggestions.

Thierry