greenlight: docker error "failed to create shim task: OCI runtime create failed"

Thomas Müller

Feb 11, 2023, 6:21:16 AM2/11/23
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi,

when updating BBB to 2.5.12 from 2.5.11 using script "https://ubuntu.bigbluebutton.org/bbb-install-2.5.sh" I got an error:

v2: Pulling from bigbluebutton/greenlight
Digest: sha256:ea1ca8257f484e3c76310ffe273ce3c223627605b6f52ea04f0a3606a319a4fe
docker: Error response from daemon: failed to create shim task: OCI runtime create failed: runc create failed: unable to start container process: error during container init: unable to apply apparmor profile: apparmor failed to apply profile: write /proc/self/attr/apparmor/exec: no such file or directory: unknown.
Starting greenlight_db_1 ... error

ERROR: for greenlight_db_1  Cannot start service db: failed to create shim task: OCI runtime create failed: runc create failed: unable to start container process: error during container init: unable to apply apparmor profile: apparmor failed to apply profile: write /proc/self/attr/apparmor/exec: no such file or directory: unknown

ERROR: for db  Cannot start service db: failed to create shim task: OCI runtime create failed: runc create failed: unable to start container process: error during container init: unable to apply apparmor profile: apparmor failed to apply profile: write /proc/self/attr/apparmor/exec: no such file or directory: unknown
ERROR: Encountered errors while bringing up the project.

So Greenlight doesn't start anymore.

Any idea how to resolve this issue?

System is a clean installed Ubuntu 20.04 at the time BBB 2.5 was published. Install and update runs using the script as root:

wget -qO- https://ubuntu.bigbluebutton.org/bbb-install-2.5.sh | bash -s -- -w -v focal-250 -s bbb1.<DOMAIN>.de -e bbb@<DOMAIN>.de -g

Regards

Thomas

Thomas Müller

Feb 12, 2023, 4:44:48 AM2/12/23
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Update: it sems to be related to the Docker update to 23.0.1 (regular ubuntu updates uing apt upgrade) and occurs even on a fresh installation of BBB 2.5 on Ubuntu 20.04.3, at least when running BBB install script after applying all Ubuntu updates before installation.

After reverting docker-ce back to 20.10.23 (using "sudo apt-get install -y docker-ce=5:20.10.23~3-0~ubuntu-focal") the install script finishes and greenlight works again (even while the bbb install script seems to upgrade docker to 23.0.1 again).

daniel1s...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2023, 11:00:44 AM2/12/23
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Thomas Müller schrieb am Sonntag, 12. Februar 2023 um 10:44:48 UTC+1:
After reverting docker-ce back to 20.10.23 (using "sudo apt-get install -y docker-ce=5:20.10.23~3-0~ubuntu-focal") the install script finishes and greenlight works again (even while the bbb install script seems to upgrade docker to 23.0.1 again).

I also have to downgrade. BTW: Correct command is
apt-get install -y --allow-downgrades docker-ce=5:20.10.23~3-0~ubuntu-focal

Maybe a solution is the Installation of  recommend package apparmor....

Max

Feb 13, 2023, 11:04:02 AM2/13/23
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi Thomas,

I've had the same problem and resolved it by installing apparmor by running
sudo apt-get install apparmor

Regards,
Max

Filipe Oliveira

Feb 14, 2023, 10:10:48 PM2/14/23
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi all,

Same issue here, when tried to upgrade BBB from 2.5.11 to 2.5.12.

Already tried to revert back the docker version and still did not work. Then I tried to run the install script again and since it updated docker again... same error.

Also tryied to run the commands after installation:
cd greenlight
docker-compose down
docker-compose up -d
bbb-conf --restart

Still Greenlight does not work. It gives "502 Bad Gateway nginx". BBB is working fine, just tested with my Moodle.

Did not tried to mess or install apparmor, since for now I want to avoid enable it. So anyone has as solution for this?

Thanks

daniel1s...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2023, 5:59:20 AM2/15/23
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Filipe Oliveira schrieb am Mittwoch, 15. Februar 2023 um 04:10:48 UTC+1:
So anyone has as solution for this?

Did you downgrade docker-ce?
Can you show us
apt info docker-ce

Message has been deleted

Thomas Müller

Feb 15, 2023, 6:42:11 AM2/15/23
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi Max,

I've tried it too, but it didn't help in my case (I think it was already installed, because while dealing with the problem I removed it before - as far as I remember).
Only downgrading docker-ce to 20.x (by removing and installing in two steps or with "--allow-downgrade" option as single step) solved it on 2.5.12 (production) and 2.6-rc... (experimental).

Btw: running the official bbb install script after this replaces docker-ce 20.x with 23.0.1 again, but this time it doesn't make any problems...

Regards,
Thomas

Militades sunfire

Feb 20, 2023, 4:03:05 AM2/20/23
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

Had the same issue (on two boxes, another two were fine).

Apparently it depends on the base image you used, had to manually

sudo apt install apparmor && reboot

to fix it.