how to play recorded videos in s3

janardhanN G

Jan 25, 2021, 4:39:32 AM1/25/21
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi,
 I am new to Bigbluebutton, i have created Bigblubutton server and application running in docker after the recording has done we are moving the file to s3, I am trying to play videos in s3 but not working, is there any way to play videos in s3 or else is there any way to do such thing in another way instead of play existing server please let me.

Regards,
Janardhan

BBB On Demand

Jan 25, 2021, 4:54:09 AM1/25/21
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
We have done this:

a) mapped and mounted the cloud storage using a fuse driver.
b) copied in the recordings 'player' from a standard installation.
c) configured a new nginx so that it plays the recordings (we also optimize for static file delivery, caching etc).

This works very well - loading recordings is slower than off a normal disk but then they play well.  You don't need a full BBB installation on the machine serving recordings.

In our infrastructure, recordings are processed on a separate machine and recordings are stored and played from cloud storage like S3.

Happy to add comments - here of offline.

Fred Dixon

Jan 25, 2021, 6:54:20 AM1/25/21
to BigBlueButton-.
Hi Richard,

> Happy to add comments - here of offline.

This is the bigbluebutton-setup mailing list where we all have our open source hats on.

Are you offering to share how to play recordings from S3?  Then yes, please do so.  I think Janardhan and others will benefit from it.

Regards,... Fred

--
BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton

Janardhann Gajjela

Jan 25, 2021, 10:46:25 AM1/25/21
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply,
                I did not understand well, can you please send me the details, it would be helpful for me.

BBB On Demand

Jan 25, 2021, 12:03:19 PM1/25/21
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Am happy to flesh this out.  Worth mentioning that it takes quite a bit of work - but it can be done and works well.

I will assume you have *processed* recordings already and moved the *entire* processed recording to an S3 bucket.  It is no good moving just the video file - you need the entire folder (name unchanged) or it will not work.

The BigBlueButton recording player is a static website and can be extracted from the bbb github archive /bigbluebutton/record-and-playback/presentation/playback/ - you don't need the rest of BigBlueButton in order to serve recordings.

You need to make the S3 bucket available on the machine - the only way I could find to do this was using fuse - this article has a few options https://cloud.netapp.com/blog/amazon-s3-as-a-file-system

You then install nginx and set up the /playback/presentation with a root pointing to the folder with the playback client and /presentation with root mapped to the mounted folder from S3

Nginx will need tweaking (base it on the original bbb nginx.conf) such as for ssl, caching etc - but you should be able to get playback to work straight from the S3

Hope that helps!

Richard Phillips