Local audio/video support on BBB 2.6

brainwhistler Whistler

Feb 24, 2023, 12:32:41 PM2/24/23
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hello,

My teachers want to use their own Audio or Video files to share in the class. Also want to be recorded in the recording sessions.

Is this possible in BBB2.6 ?

Thanks
BR

brainwhistler Whistler

Feb 25, 2023, 9:35:01 AM2/25/23
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know the answer?

sd...@distancelearning.cloud

Feb 25, 2023, 9:48:34 AM2/25/23
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

The external media player can play any .mp4 .mp3 file if the file is https:// accessible.   If its possible for them to upload the media into your LMS,  and that media plays in a webbrowser with https://yourlms/somepath/video.mp4  then it can be played and paused.

Another way, which is not as good… in chrome you can screenshare audio.  So you could play in a local media/player in PC, and simply screenshare the media player with audio checkbox, and the audio would be included in screenshare..  but not as good a quality as the first method.

Regards,

Stephen

Matthias Weiler

Feb 26, 2023, 6:34:44 AM2/26/23
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

It's not possible to upload local audio/video files into a session. Here
is the feature request if you want to 👍 it.

https://github.com/bigbluebutton/bigbluebutton/issues/8276

And here is something more recent about implementing this in a frontend
(Greenlight):

https://github.com/bigbluebutton/greenlight/issues/4377

cheers,
Matthias

Fred Dixon

Feb 26, 2023, 9:46:19 AM2/26/23
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthias,

We would like to figure out how to upload and convert video just like presentations.  Shouldn't be a heavy lift as pretty much any HTML5 editor (such as the editors embedded in the LMS) lets you upload a video and later playback.

In a similar manner, BigBlueButton could let you upload a video, convert it into a playable format if needed (ffmpeg is already installed on the BigBlueButton server), and then have it ready for playback during the session.

In BigBlueButton 2.6, it's even easier.  Here's an example, I created two sample videos and uploaded them to dropbox, which gives me direct URLs

I can put these links in the slides and BigBlueButton will detect the video links and give me a playback button on the presentation toolbar to play back either of the links.  We call this ability to detect polls and video links Smart Slides.

Here's what the toolbar looks like when BigBlueButton detects the above two video links in the slides.

image.png

So, if the instructor has a bunch of audio and video files to share during the class, and can upload them to a place that gives you a link you can share, then they can add the links at the right point in the slides and have everything ready to go during the live class.

Here's a short video showing how this works

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton

brainwhistler Whistler

Feb 26, 2023, 11:50:25 PM2/26/23
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the response. But this still needs the teacher to upload their audio/video to some third party server.

The main request is to upload them to the BBB server and player. Also, should be part of the recordings.

Thanks
BR

The Pastor

Feb 27, 2023, 12:58:54 AM2/27/23
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Fred,
Just tried those smart slides on my 2.6 test server and they are very cool, ideal for our use
Many thanks to all the team

The Pastor

Feb 27, 2023, 1:12:33 AM2/27/23
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com