Upgrade from V2.3-alpha8 to V2.4-beta3: Override feature does not work

Wolfgang Pein

Sep 2, 2021, 3:10:52 PM9/2/21
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi all,
I successfully upgraded BBB V2.3-alpha8 to BBB V2.4-beta3 by use of the bbb-install.sh script. In V2.3 I have made a number of changes to BBB original conf files e.g. "SkipCheck: true".

In order to avoid to re-apply these changes with future upgrades I followed the documentation for override configuration ( https://docs.bigbluebutton.org/admin/configuration-files.html#local-overrides-for-configuration-settings ) i.e. I created or modified (I cannot remember whether the file existed)  the  file  /etc/bigbluebutton/bbb-html5.yml   and added :

public:
  app:
    SkipCheck: true

I did this before running the bbb-install.sh script!!

However it seems that these changes in override files have not been applied to the BBB conf files i.e. file  /usr/share/meteor/bundle/programs/server/assets/app/config/settings.yml the setting still contains the default value (SkipCheck: false).

What am I missing? Does override not work in my setup/upgrade?

Thanks
Wolfgang

Philipp Memmel

Sep 2, 2021, 3:19:33 PM9/2/21
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Sure, you got the spelling right? It's "skipCheck", not "SkipCheck". Works for me like this...

Pypo

Wolfgang Pein

Sep 2, 2021, 3:44:08 PM9/2/21
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Sorry, typo in my posting - I used skipCheck (small s at the beginning) and not SkipCheck !!!

I cannot copy/paste the file but here is a screenshot - maybe this helps:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/z1pwdpydkmfotrh/Screenshot%202021-09-02%2021.42.42.png?dl=0

Wolfgang Pein

Sep 2, 2021, 3:48:00 PM9/2/21
to BigBlueButton-Setup

Philipp Memmel

Sep 3, 2021, 2:12:27 AM9/3/21
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I might now just understand your problem:

These changes are not "applied" to the other config files on
installation, but the different components of BBB read from both the
override files and the standard config files:

Whenever the override file contains a key this key's value is preferred
over the value which is contained in
/usr/share/meteor/bundle/.../settings.yml

That's what is meant by "override": The content of
/usr/share/meteor/.../settings.yml will still be the same. But the keys
in /etc/bigbluebutton/bbb-html5.yml are "more powerful". Have you
checked if the settings are applied in a real BBB session on that node?

Pypo

Am 02.09.2021 um 21:48 schrieb 'Wolfgang Pein' via BigBlueButton-Setup:
> Oops - here is the link again - not just text !!
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/z1pwdpydkmfotrh/Screenshot%202021-09-02%2021.42.42.png?dl=0>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/z1pwdpydkmfotrh/Screenshot%202021-09-02%2021.42.42.png?dl=0
> *I did this before running the bbb-install.sh script!!*
>
> However it seems that these changes in override files have
> not been applied to the BBB conf files i.e. file
> /usr/share/meteor/bundle/programs/server/assets/app/config/settings.yml
> the setting still contains the default value (SkipCheck: false).
>
> What am I missing? Does override not work in my setup/upgrade?
>
> Thanks
> Wolfgang
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bigbluebutton-setup/2f624e4d-6894-4223-9a47-9c92d722ebecn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bigbluebutton-setup/2f624e4d-6894-4223-9a47-9c92d722ebecn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Wolfgang Pein

Sep 3, 2021, 4:04:37 AM9/3/21
to 'Philipp Memmel' via BigBlueButton-Setup
Great comment! You are absolutely right: it was my believe that the
original conf file will be "overwritten" by the content of the override
files.
Maybe the documentation should be more precise and explain this
behaviour (I would call it "overruling")? Why has it been implemented
this way?

I checked again and indeed: the skipCheck = true setting has been
properly applied - no microfone check at the beginning of a session!!!

Thanks for your help!