Let's Encrypt not installing for BBB 2.5

Amish Bhavsar

May 2, 2022, 7:30:13 PM5/2/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi, I have a current instance of BBB 2.4.6 running on accelme.com domain hosted by Vultr.com

I am trying to install BBB 2.5 Beta.
As per given instructions on https://docs.bigbluebutton.org/2.5/new.html#installation, I first did a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04.
And then ran the bbb-install-2.5.sh script:

The script runs fine, but when it comes to the end, the Let's Encrypt installation fails. It gives the following response:
 bbb-install: Let's Encrypt SSL request for accelme.com did not succeed - exiting
To fix these errors, please make sure that your domain name was
   entered correctly and the DNS A/AAAA record(s) for that domain
   contain(s) the right IP address.

My DNS entry is 100% correct. Else, how would BBB 2.4 would work?

I have tried the install of 2.5 several times, yet it keeps failing at this stage. Pls help.

Thanks
Amish

Stephen Dame

May 3, 2022, 6:07:08 AM5/3/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Your 2.4 has a different ip address then the new 2.5 server.  Did you change the ip address for the domain and wait a few minutes for it to propagate.

If you ping acelme.com for 2.5 shell.. what does it return.   Assume it's returning the 2.4 and why you are getting issue if I had to guess

Regards
Stephen

Amish Bhavsar

May 7, 2022, 6:44:41 PM5/7/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi,

I am hosted with Vultr.com and domain is with Hostmonster.com... nothing has changed - neither the domain and nor the IP address.
The current 2.4 is working fine.
When I upgrade the host OS to Ubuntu 20.04, the server IP address on Vultr is the same as before.
Yet, the Let's Encrypt install fails.

Amish

sd...@distancelearning.cloud

May 8, 2022, 8:40:40 AM5/8/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

If you ping acelme.com from 2.5 18.04 shell.. what does it return?

Amish Bhavsar

May 9, 2022, 5:52:00 PM5/9/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
How do I ping accelme.com from BBB2.5?

Amish

Amish Bhavsar

May 9, 2022, 6:51:36 PM5/9/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
To add to this... The below is what I am getting....

Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Plugins selected: Authenticator webroot, Installer None
Obtaining a new certificate
Performing the following challenges:
http-01 challenge for accelme.com
Using the webroot path /var/www/bigbluebutton-default for all unmatched domains.
Waiting for verification...
Challenge failed for domain accelme.com
http-01 challenge for accelme.com
Cleaning up challenges
Some challenges have failed.

IMPORTANT NOTES:
 - The following errors were reported by the server:

   Domain: accelme.com
   Type:   connection
   Detail: 108.61.87.159: Fetching
   http://accelme.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/HNME6_jcWfKfKvbJt0iBl-hU-yf0YT5GwAcn5ebdNHA:
   Timeout during connect (likely firewall problem)

   To fix these errors, please make sure that your domain name was
   entered correctly and the DNS A/AAAA record(s) for that domain
   contain(s) the right IP address. Additionally, please check that
   your computer has a publicly routable IP address and that no
   firewalls are preventing the server from communicating with the
   client. If you're using the webroot plugin, you should also verify
   that you are serving files from the webroot path you provided.
 - Your account credentials have been saved in your Certbot
   configuration directory at /etc/letsencrypt. You should make a
   secure backup of this folder now. This configuration directory will
   also contain certificates and private keys obtained by Certbot so
   making regular backups of this folder is ideal.

bbb-install: Let's Encrypt SSL request for accelme.com did not succeed - exiting
root@bbb:~#

Stephen Dame

May 11, 2022, 4:48:46 AM5/11/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Ssh into the server.    And type >ping acelme.com and see what is reported for up address

Amish Bhavsar

May 11, 2022, 12:15:00 PM5/11/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
It is successfully pinging. See:
64 bytes from 108.61.87.159.vultrusercontent.com (108.61.87.159): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.051 ms

heini66

May 11, 2022, 12:32:51 PM5/11/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
are you running your bbb setup.sh on a virtualised host? if so, is this a lxc container?

heini66

May 11, 2022, 1:45:38 PM5/11/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

Amish Bhavsar

May 12, 2022, 2:18:24 AM5/12/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
It is a Virtual host. I haven't installed any container.

Amish Bhavsar

May 12, 2022, 2:22:48 AM5/12/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Also, note that this is the same host where I installed BBB 2.4 earlier using this script:  wget -qO- https://ubuntu.bigbluebutton.org/bbb-install.sh | bash -s -- -v bionic-240 -s bbb.example.com -e not...@example.com -a -w

After update to Ubuntu 20.04, and running the 2.5 install script, this issue is coming.

Amish

sd...@distancelearning.cloud

May 12, 2022, 5:40:05 AM5/12/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

So I ping your server and get this….   That’s why Lets encrypt is failing most likely.

wget https://acelme.com

--2022-05-12 05:37:25--  https://acelme.com/

Resolving acelme.com (acelme.com)... 72.9.144.6

Connecting to acelme.com (acelme.com)|72.9.144.6|:443... failed: Connection refused.

Regards,

Stephen

Amish Bhavsar

May 12, 2022, 1:43:29 PM5/12/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
You are entering the wrong url.
Pls note, the correct URL is accelme.com

Thanks
Amish

Amish Bhavsar

May 13, 2022, 8:19:06 PM5/13/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
I was able to figure out the issue...
Ports 80 and 443 were not open
I ran these commands:
sudo ufw status verbose
sudo ufw allow 80
sudo ufw allow 443

Then ran the script and everything is running fine now.

Message has been deleted

detlef K

May 19, 2022, 2:12:02 AM5/19/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Start with a new clean server
nano /etc/hosts     <<< adjust accordingly
nano /etc/hostname  <<<  accelme.com

and last but not least

enable_ipv6

Retboot system.... i hope thats it.