Monitoring BBB

Malte Müller

Jan 21, 2021, 3:46:27 AM1/21/21
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

i have two BBB running, one:
    BigBlueButton Server 2.2.19 (2025),
    Kernel version: 4.4.0-184-generic
    Memory: 32685 MB
    CPU cores: 8

and a newly set up:
    BigBlueButton Server 2.2.31 (2307)
    Kernel version: 4.4.0-200-generic
    Memory: 32811 MB
    CPU cores: 32

BBB1 is sometimes overloaded, but on BBB2 a user, the Moodle-Admin,
encountered "connection problems" which i couldn't reproduce.
So, basically, it works, transferrates are fine, but some vague problems
show up.
What logfiles should i monitor?
Is there a chance to estimate the number of current active users? I have
seen some entries in bbb-webrtc-sfu.log in the form of:
"{"roomId":"08434","internalMeetingId":"4e7fe6f7-13","userId":"w_yjzu","userName":"Max
Mustermann","status":"MEDIA_STARTED","connectionId":67373,"level":"info","message":"[audio]
Starting new listen only session","timestamp":"2021-01-21T06:27:09.396Z"}"
But maybe there is some better source, a database or something.

Thanks in advance
Malte

M. Müller

Jan 21, 2021, 5:03:52 AM1/21/21
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
I think I could use the mongodb:
Mongo mongodb://127.0.0.1:27017/meteor
It should be the collection "video-streams" that lists all currently active streams. Am I on the right track?

Thanks
Malte

Paulo Lanzarin

Jan 21, 2021, 5:15:11 AM1/21/21
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

MongoDB is also a source of info.
It's still not clear what specifically you're trying to monitor. What do you mean when you say
"connection problems"? What are you specifically trying to track down?

M. Müller

Jan 21, 2021, 12:52:10 PM1/21/21
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
The user told me that the echo test did not always work. I myself had no problems using the demo. I have my doubts, if it really concerns the BBB. Anyway, in which log file could such errors show up?
I managed to get useful information out of the mangodb. Thanks for your help.

Kind regards
Malte

Malte Müller

Jan 21, 2021, 4:07:27 PM1/21/21
Am 21.01.2021 um 11:14 schrieb Paulo Lanzarin:

MongoDB is also a source of info.
It's still not clear what specifically you're trying to monitor. What do you mean when you say
"connection problems"? What are you specifically trying to track down?
OK, he told me, that quite often he gets an error 1002. And if not, it takes up to 30 seconds before he can connect. But... switching from his leased line to his mobile as a wifi access point, it works better. When using the old BBB he doesn't encounter any problems. That's weird. Could be anything with the stun-server?
The new BBB says:
/usr/share/bbb-web/WEB-INF/classes/spring/turn-stun-servers.xml
stun:stun.l.google.com:19302
Warning: Detected FreeSWITCH is using default stun.freeswitch.org server.

Should i setup my own stun-server?

Thanks
Malte

Paulo Lanzarin

Jan 22, 2021, 12:00:58 PM1/22/21
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
> Should i setup my own stun-server?

Yes. You should. This is most probably it.
You need to spin up a coturn instance and configure STUN/TURN in it if possible.
Docs on how to do that:
  - https://docs.bigbluebutton.org/2.2/setup-turn-server.html
  - https://github.com/bigbluebutton/bbb-install#install-a-turn-server

Hope it helps.

s,

prlanzarin

Malte Müller

Jan 25, 2021, 10:08:21 AM1/25/21
Am 22.01.2021 um 18:00 schrieb Paulo Lanzarin:
> Should i setup my own stun-server?

Yes. You should. This is most probably it.
No. Definetely ;-)
I do not 100% understand why. This user is using the turn-server when connecting, not only the stun.

Thanks for your confirmation, it helped me. I followed the guide, but had some troubles, because coturn did not find the certificates. They _have_ to reside under /usr/share/etc. Linking to /etc/letsencrypt/live... did the job.

Very much appreciated
Malte

Paulo Lanzarin

Jan 25, 2021, 10:28:36 AM1/25/21