What is the Best Way to Renew SSL Cert on BBB 2.0

Tolu Okuboyejo

Aug 13, 2018, 9:23:57 AM8/13/18
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Team,
What is the best way to renew the SSL Certificate on a 2.0 BigBlueButton Server installed using the install.sh script?

I had a SSL certificate expire without being renewed on a server that was installed about 90 days ago and I'm trying to renew it the best way.

Regards.

Tolu Okuboyejo
Chief Technology Officer | ICT University
+1 (225) 221-1747

Tolu Okuboyejo

Aug 13, 2018, 5:12:13 PM8/13/18
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I found a way to resolve this issue by following the certificate installation steps at http://docs.bigbluebutton.org/install/install.html#using-lets-encrypt, but I think it will be nice if the bbb-install.sh script also includes the certificate renewal process and probably writes it into cron to automate certificate renewal.

Thank you!

Regards.

Tolu Okuboyejo
Chief Technology Officer | ICT University
+1 (225) 221-1747

Fred Dixon

Aug 20, 2018, 8:54:16 AM8/20/18
to BigBlueButton-.
Hi Tolu,

We had an error in the earlier version of bbb-install.sh that didn't properly renew the Lets Encrypt certificate.  We've since fixed it, here's the proper code

If you run bbb-install.sh with the same parameters, it will install the correct script.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
@bigbluebutton

Tolu Okuboyejo

Aug 21, 2018, 7:30:44 AM8/21/18
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fred & Team,
Thank you for the great work you are doing, much appreciated. I will update the server to reflect this change.

Regards.

Tolu Okuboyejo
Chief Technology Officer | ICT University

J G

Oct 3, 2018, 9:02:29 PM10/3/18
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Thnaks for this post.

Off course what Fred said remains the best response as it may also help with additional improvements.

I just did following and it fixed for me in seconds. This is from the link provided by Tolu.

The Let’s Encrypte certificates are good for 90 days and can be automatically renewed. To automatically request a renewal once a week, edit the crontab file for root.

# sudo crontab -e

And add the following two lines at the bottom:

30 2 * * 1 /usr/bin/letsencrypt renew >> /var/log/le-renew.log
35 2 * * 1 /bin/systemctl reload nginx

These two directives will execute the letsencrypt-auto renew command every Monday at 2:30 am, and then reload Nginx at 2:35am (so the renewed certificate will be used). The output will be piped to a log file located at /var/log/le-renewal.log, so you can always check it later.

If your certificate expired then first run following two commands as root to fix problem instantly and then add Crontab entries as advised by BBB team above in documentation.

/usr/bin/letsencrypt renew >> /var/log/le-renew.log
/bin/systemctl reload nginx

Hope it helps someone.

Ivos Riti

Sep 5, 2022, 1:00:00 PM9/5/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
hi all, i've the problem on nginx that dont start after renew ssl. i update by sh file. my  versione is 2.2. Last year, i solved with the upper solution(suggested by Fred) ,  but this time there is no way.
SSH reply "Cert not yet due for renewal", bur Nginx dont start.

Any idea?

million tnx in advanced

sd...@distancelearning.cloud

Sep 5, 2022, 2:00:34 PM9/5/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

What does “sudo nginx -t” display, will tell you the exact reason

Regards,

Stephen

Ivos Riti

Sep 5, 2022, 2:46:49 PM9/5/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
it display only "test failed". this may be because Nginx not started

It work only withiut ssl on port 80. If i anable https, it stop to work.
My old ssl certificate will expires on 5 day,  but i allready renewed and now nothing works

Raxit Sheth

Sep 6, 2022, 1:20:03 AM9/6/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Try
nginx -t && nginx -s reload

Raxit

Ivos Riti

Sep 6, 2022, 5:27:40 AM9/6/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Thanks to all for support

i tryed raxitsh method but give me errot

nginx: [warn] invalid value "TLSv1.3" in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/bigbluebutton:20
nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed

the file content is
  listen 443 ssl http2;
  listen [::]:443 ssl http2;
  server_name webinar.bonsaiclub.it;

    ssl_certificate /etc/letsencrypt/live/webinar.bonsaiclub.it/fullchain.pem;
    ssl_certificate_key /etc/letsencrypt/live/webinar.bonsaiclub.it/privkey.pem;
    ssl_session_cache shared:SSL:10m;
    ssl_session_timeout 10m;
    ssl_protocols TLSv1.2 TLSv1.3;
    ssl_ciphers ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE$
    ssl_dhparam /etc/nginx/ssl/dhp-4096.pem;

i  can't  understand the error

I renewer 5 days before. now certbot  display
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Attempting to parse the version 1.29.0 renewal configuration file found at /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/webinar.bonsaiclub.it.conf with version 0.31.0 of Certbot. This might not work.

Cert not yet due for renewal

but, Nginx dont starts for an error ssl

there is a way to remove completly ssl ? so, i can renstall by .sh file in a second time

sd...@distancelearning.cloud

Sep 6, 2022, 1:07:31 PM9/6/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

It’s telling you the error…   line 20 of config file.   Remove the TLSv1.3 and see what happens.  Looks like old nginx may not support

[warn] invalid value "TLSv1.3" in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/bigbluebutton:20

Regards,

Stephen

Ivos Riti

Sep 7, 2022, 5:45:21 AM9/7/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi all,
at the end I dont' found solution and i reinstalled 2,5 version on a new server.

Anyway, I would like to thanks for your support