An investigation into the integration of three e-learning software: Bigbluebutton, Opencast Matterhorn and Synote

Yemi Seye

Sep 21, 2012, 7:48:28 PM9/21/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

Hello All,
I will like to say thank you to everyone that answered my question on this forum especially Fred Dixon. During the summer I worked on the subject of this email and will like to share the report with anyone that is interested.

--
Adeseye Adeyemi

Fred Dixon

Sep 21, 2012, 8:45:14 PM9/21/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yemi,

Thank you for sharing your report "An Investigation into the Integration of Three E-learning  Open Source Software:  Bigbluebutton, Opencast"!  Very good report!

Often when a user posts multiple questions to these forums, we don't know what they are actually doing with BigBlueButton, but we do our best to help them nevertheless.  It's clear that you were doing quite a lot of research into setting up a working lecture broadcast and capture system using BigBlueButton, Matterhorn, and Synote.

When we help a user, we also hope that they will contribute back to the community as they become more experienced in BigBlueButton.   Yemi, you've definitely exceeded our expectations with this report!

At sixty pages, I was impressed with how detailed and complete you tried to make the evaluations, implementation, and analysis of the system.  As a submission towards the fulfilment for a Msc Software Engineering, it's clear you spent quite a bit of time in writing it and it shows.

In the summary you wrote

The capturing capabilities of BigBlueButton is to be used for capturing  the media, the processing and distribution capabilities of Opencast Matterhorn is to be used to process the media (desktop and camera  recordings from BigBlueButton) into a format compatible with Synote (typically mp4 for video recordings and  mp3 for audio recordings), the media is then distributed to Synote for media transcription and annotations via  Matterhorn  RSS/ATOM feeds. The result shows that a working system that will enrich the e-learning  community  can be achieved without  incurring  any licencing fee  by integrating these three open source  applications.

I would like to add that I believe anyone trying to create a similar setup will definitely benefit from reading your report.

Thank you again for sharing it!

Regards,.. Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

--
Adeseye Adeyemi

Seun Ojedeji

Sep 22, 2012, 7:02:24 AM9/22/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hello Seye,

Good you made this compilation and seemingly detailed report (based on fred's comment) however for some reason i am unable to download the report...could you share it on Gdocs?

Thanks

--
Adeseye Adeyemi

Seun Ojedeji,
Federal University Oye-Ekiti
web:      http://www.fuoye.edu.ng
Mobile: +2348035233535
alt email: seun.o...@fuoye.edu.ng

Yemi Seye

Sep 22, 2012, 7:22:58 PM9/22/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Alright.
Adeseye Adeyemi

Yemi Seye

Sep 22, 2012, 7:30:57 PM9/22/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Also uploaded on Google docs.  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B03PaZp3cLMIN3RtaXB1bEtSWGM/edit
--
Adeseye Adeyemi

Fred Dixon

Sep 22, 2012, 8:00:36 PM9/22/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yemi,

The link is current private.

You can make the link public in Google Docs by choosing File -> Publish to the web.

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

Seun Ojedeji

Sep 23, 2012, 12:00:25 AM9/23/12
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

Thanks...was finally able to download via previous url. I see it was a project for your Masters program. Good choice of topic;-)
I trust you will now confidently use BBB in production network and hopefully others will also use it based on your findings.

Cheers!

OJ
sent from google nexus

Yemi Seye