Turn Server - Installation is done after "Waiting for port 443 to clear"?

Filipe Oliveira

May 14, 2022, 8:07:18 AM5/14/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi,

I installed BBB Turn server using the automated script bbb-install.sh, and when installing it ends with the line:

Waiting for port 443 to clear

root@myturnserver:~#

Is the Turn installtion process supose to end just with the phrase: "Waiting for port 443 to clear"? Or should I get a different result, like "installation done" for example?

Thanks

Filipe Oliveira

May 14, 2022, 11:45:19 PM5/14/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi all,

Made some after installation tests and the Turn server seems to be working, so I will assume that the proper/correct way the installation script ends, is with the phrase: "Waiting for port 443 to clear"

It should be noce to say, something like "installation successful"

Jean Pluzo

May 16, 2022, 8:56:05 AM5/16/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi Filipe,

the bbb-install.sh script does not install a Stun/Turn Server. This script tells BBB to USE a stun/turn server, one that you have available or perhaps one you have configured yourself.
Try the Trickle ICE page (https://webrtc.github.io/samples/src/content/peerconnection/trickle-ice/). Here you can really test a stun/turn server. Again, you have to have one available.
My guess is that the bbb-install.sh script is waiting for port 443 to be "free", which means it's being blocked by a firewall. And this has nothing to do with a stun/turn server. This is most likely the certbot program trying to get a certificate for you BBB server.
Could you pleas paste your complete bbb-install.sh command? We may be able to help you further.
One last thing: when the bbb-install.sh script is finished, you see a message like "possible problems". THIS means your BBB is ready.

Regards,

J.

Wolfgang Pein

May 17, 2022, 11:08:54 AM5/17/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi all,
to my best knowledge the bbb-install.sh script can be used for both purposes (at least this was the case up to V2.4):
install coturn only on a decidated server  or install BBB along with a (already installed) turn server

:-) Wolfgang

Militades Sunfire

May 17, 2022, 11:19:37 AM5/17/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
yes, same script for both.
not the same server though, for maximum reachability turn also uses port 443 and it's not really feasible to separate one from the other. unless you have more than one IP and like tinkering ..

Jean Pluzo

May 18, 2022, 2:44:53 AM5/18/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi all,

just for clarification: I know the exact phrase in the bbb-install.sh script is " Setup a coturn server with <hostname> and <secret> (required)" when you use the "-c" parameter.
This, however, does not mean that a stun/turn server will be installed alongside the BBB server. If you use the bbb-install.sh script with the "-c" option you will get your BBB server CONFIGURED to use an external stun/turn server.
Perhaps the wording is a bit misleading. Just wanted to clarify.
btw, I have installed many times with and without the "-c" option. Never has a stun/turn server been installed. The "-c" option modifies the /usr/share/bbb-web/WEB-INF/classes/spring/turn-stun-servers.xml file.

Regards,

J.

Filipe Oliveira

May 21, 2022, 2:44:19 PM5/21/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi all,

To be clear Im using the bbb-install script to install the Turn server on a clean server as described at:

Running the below command will onky install Trun and not BBB. And that is what Im doing.
wget -qO- https://ubuntu.bigbluebutton.org/bbb-install.sh | bash -s -- -c turn.example.com:1234abcd -e in...@example.com

So there is now way for me to run "bbb-conf- check" to check-up the Turn server installation. Anyway I tested using RTP in Firefox and the Turn server seems to be working.

But as said before, The installation script ended just saying:

Waiting for port 443 to clear
root@myturnserver:~#

It would be nice to have a phrase, on the end of script installation confirming that Turn server was installed OK.