setup descriptions and recommendations

Matthias Weiler

Jan 26, 2021, 5:46:20 AM1/26/21
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Like everyone who is setting up a BBB-Cluster we ask ourselves how to
best use the hardware resources that we have. We're currently planing
for the summer term at our university (starting in march) and with the
recent performance optimizations it may be a good time to exchange some
recommendations.

Our Workload (university courses)
* up to 3000 concurrent users
* up to 200 concurrent meetings
* up to 200 users per meeting (lectures with most users listen-only)

Our Hardware
* AMD Epyc 7402, 2.8 - 3.3 GHz, 24 cores (48 threads)
* 128 GB memory

Because the know-how and tooling is available, we set up virtual
machines (KVM) on the hardware. That's against the recommendations but
it works for us and we can use the resources more efficiently.

Currently we have SMT (hyperthreading) enabled and run six VMs with 6
vCPUs and 16 GB memory on each host. So neither cores nor memory are
overcommitted.

With the changes that were recently integrated (and those that will come
with 2.3) we think about using fewer but bigger VMs, but currently the
system works well for us.

Feel free to comment with suggestions or with a description of your own
setup and plans.

Thanks for all your time and effort,
have a wonderful day!
Matthias

Militades sunfire

Jan 26, 2021, 6:56:07 AM1/26/21
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
hi,

think i can contribute a bit on that topic .. :-)

we found out the limit the software currently scales the hard way :-P

depending on optimizations like

* reducing video bandwith

* setting up pagination

* scaling kurento up to 3 instances

* not doing any recodings

and having relatively view users use video, the highest i can confirm
CAN still work on a single instance is 480 users :-D

For that to work you need 16-20 cores and 32GB RAM will do apparently.

It sounds like you only got one Server, that would mean up to 500 users
per instance currently ...?