WebRTC screen share extension can't be installed on Google Chrome due to link error

Harald Kastner

Jul 15, 2018, 9:37:57 AM7/15/18
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Dear Fred,

During first time usage of WebRTC screen share on presenter's side the installation of the extension for Google Chrome fails.

Reason: the domain chrome.google.com disappears from the installation link URL.

I customized the extension according https://github.com/bigbluebutton/screenshare-chrome-extension and did the google developer's upload and activation. Manually the extension installs fine from https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bigbluebutton-screenshare/oobocpkbjekheclmekffepplhpkljgdo .

But inside bbb the installation link gets crippled during installation process.

Here some pictures about that:

config.xml looks like:

settings-production.json looks like:

here the sequence of installation:

No log errors, no check errors, everything works fine.

I even tested it on our production server with same result.

Do you have any idea on that?

Cheers, Harald

Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2
Auto Generated Inline Image 3
Auto Generated Inline Image 4
Auto Generated Inline Image 5

Harald Kastner

Jul 15, 2018, 10:30:18 AM7/15/18
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Update:

I did some digging into the code and found the culprit in changed lines for chromeExtensionLinkURL-manipulation in v2.0.x-release. Did some repair restoring one line from master and tested it on our test-server. Worked fine without any flaws, so I commited a pull-request to v2.0.x-release.

Cheers, Harald

Fred Dixon

Jul 15, 2018, 11:12:50 AM7/15/18
to BigBlueButton-.