How to define a processing recording schedule in 2.5?

Filipe Oliveira

Dec 7, 2022, 4:51:39 PM12/7/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
’m using BBB v2.5.8 and want to define a processing recording schedule in order for the recording processing/render only happens at night. The objective is to free up server resources during day time, that is when in our case sessions occur.

In older BBB versions we could do this, by doing as described at:
https://higheredlab.com/bigbluebutton-change-recording-schedule/

But on 2.5.8 this method is not working. Any other method we can use?

Thanks

Matthias Weiler

Dec 8, 2022, 6:45:56 AM12/8/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I use "systemctl stop bbb-rap-starter.service" to disable
recording-processing on 2.5. So it should be enough to replace the
service name in the article you linked to.

The documentation regarding this explicitly mentions 2.2.x, so it should
probably be updated.
https://docs.bigbluebutton.org/admin/customize.html#change-processing-time

regards,
Matthias

Filipe Oliveira

Dec 8, 2022, 7:10:55 AM12/8/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi @Matthias Weiler,

Thanks for the information. Yes, docs should be updated to the v2.5.

Can you help me create a cronjob with the command you mentioned? Maybe:

crontab -e
# Stop recording process at 7 AM during week days
0 7 * * 1-5 systemctl stop bbb-rap-starter.servic
# Start recording process at 6 PM during week days;
0 18 * * 1-5 systemctl start bbb-rap-starter.servic

What do you think? Thanks

Matthias Weiler

Dec 9, 2022, 3:38:45 AM12/9/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hello Filipe,

in your example cron-config the E in servicE is missing.

Except for that it looks okay, but please test it.

While cron is fine, the more "modern" option would be to use a
systemd-timer for this.

When you find a working solution, please consider making a pull request
for the documentation.
https://github.com/bigbluebutton/bigbluebutton.github.io/blob/master/_posts/admin/2019-02-14-customize.md#change-processing-time

regards,
Matthias

Fred Dixon

Dec 9, 2022, 4:47:52 AM12/9/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
> When you find a working solution, please consider making a pull request for the documentation.

A pull request would be welcome.  It's a very easy way to give back to the project.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton