nginx not starting

Andrew Brady

May 7, 2022, 4:18:27 PM5/7/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi there

I am having problems when i run bbb-conf --check I can see that nginx is not starting.

when i run nginx -t it is not passing the syntax check.

I have made a lot of changes to the /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/bigbluebutton file and I think I have messed up the syntax. Would anyone be able to share a working version of that file so I can copy and just change the relevant information?

Many thanks 👍
Message has been deleted

Andrew Wells

May 7, 2022, 5:55:15 PM5/7/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
From my experience, install with little changes. Then make them aa needed after the stock install works

Sent from Nine

May 7, 2022, 6:27:43 PM5/7/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
the changes were just to change the path to the ssl cert and key. they were following the bbb documentation to configure nginx to work with https as below

nginx.png

Fred Dixon

May 7, 2022, 8:32:28 PM5/7/22
to BigBlueButton-.
Hi Andrew,

Here's a stock /etc/nginx/sites-available/bigbluebutton file

server_tokens off;

server {
  listen 80;
  listen [::]:80;
  server_name bbb.example.com;

  return 301 https://$server_name$request_uri; #redirect HTTP to HTTPS

}
server {
  listen 443 ssl http2;
  listen [::]:443 ssl http2;
  server_name bbb.example.com;

    ssl_certificate /etc/letsencrypt/live/bbb.example.com/fullchain.pem;
    ssl_certificate_key /etc/letsencrypt/live/bbb.example.com/privkey.pem;
    ssl_session_cache shared:SSL:10m;
    ssl_session_timeout 10m;
    ssl_protocols TLSv1.2 TLSv1.3;
    ssl_ciphers ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-ECDSA-CHACHA20-POLY1305:E
CDHE-RSA-CHACHA20-POLY1305:DHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384;
    ssl_dhparam /etc/nginx/ssl/dhp-4096.pem;

    # HSTS (comment out to enable)
    #add_header Strict-Transport-Security "max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains" always;

  access_log  /var/log/nginx/bigbluebutton.access.log;

  # BigBlueButton landing page.
  location / {
    root   /var/www/bigbluebutton-default;
    index  index.html index.htm;
    expires 1m;
  }

  # Include specific rules for record and playback
  include /usr/share/bigbluebutton/nginx/*.nginx;
  include /etc/bigbluebutton/nginx/*.nginx; # possible overrides
}

Regards,.. Fred

--
BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton

Andrew Brady

May 9, 2022, 11:59:34 AM5/9/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Thanks for that @Fred!🙏

Andrew Brady

May 9, 2022, 12:33:33 PM5/9/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
I am now passing the nginx -t check however bbb-conf --check returns an error  'BigBlueButton appears to be disabled
         - no symbolic link in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/bigbluebutton to /etc/nginx/sites-available/bigbluebutton'
I must have missed on the documentation where it states to specify the server name in sites available?

Would you mind sharing a working version of sites-enabled/bigbluebutton?

or alternatively may i have missed something else? I have done the whole installation process manually so may have missed something

thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers

Philipp Memmel

May 9, 2022, 12:40:57 PM5/9/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
As it states, no need for a separate file, just symlink it to make nginx
pick it up as active configuration:

cd /etc/nginx/sites-enabled;
ln -s ../sites-available/bigbluebutton bigbluebutton

Pypo

Am 09.05.2022 um 18:33 schrieb 'Andrew Brady' via BigBlueButton-Setup:
> I am now passing the nginx -t check however bbb-conf --check returns an
> error  'BigBlueButton appears to be disabled
>          - no symbolic link in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/bigbluebutton
> to /etc/nginx/sites-available/bigbluebutton'
> I must have missed on the documentation where it states to specify the
> server name in sites available?
>
> Would you mind sharing a working version of sites-enabled/bigbluebutton?
>
> or alternatively may i have missed something else? I have done the whole
> installation process manually so may have missed something
>
> thanks in advance for any help!
>
> Cheers
>

> On Monday, May 9, 2022 at 4:59:34 PM UTC+1 Andrew Brady wrote:
>
> Thanks for that @Fred!🙏
>
> On Sunday, May 8, 2022 at 1:32:28 AM UTC+1 Fred Dixon wrote:
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Here's a stock /etc/nginx/sites-available/bigbluebutton file
>
> server_tokens off;
>
> server {
>   listen 80;
>   listen [::]:80;
>   server_name bbb.example.com <http://bbb.example.com>;
>
>   return 301 https://$server_name$request_uri; #redirect HTTP
> to HTTPS
>
> }
> server {
>   listen 443 ssl http2;
>   listen [::]:443 ssl http2;
>   server_name bbb.example.com <http://bbb.example.com>;
>
>     ssl_certificate
> /etc/letsencrypt/live/bbb.example.com/fullchain.pem
> <http://bbb.example.com/fullchain.pem>;
>     ssl_certificate_key
> /etc/letsencrypt/live/bbb.example.com/privkey.pem
> <http://bbb.example.com/privkey.pem>;
> nginx.png
>
> On Saturday, May 7, 2022 at 10:55:15 PM UTC+1
> andrew...@kooltel.com wrote:
>
> From my experience, install with little changes. Then
> make them aa needed after the stock install works
>

> Sent from Nine <http://www.9folders.com/>

Andrew Brady

May 9, 2022, 2:19:02 PM5/9/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Thank you Pypo

i am now getting the following error

# Potential problems described below
# Nginx: BigBlueButton appears to be disabled

         - no symbolic link in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/bigbluebutton to /etc/nginx/sites-available/bigbluebutton
# Tried to check server_name in
#    /etc/nginx/sites-available/bigbluebutton
# but value is empty.

my sites-available/bigbluebutton does not have a server_name value
Where should i input this variable?

i presume i just need to declare the server name in order to complete the link?

many thanks

Andrew Brady

May 11, 2022, 4:29:21 AM5/11/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Would anyone be able to post their  /etc/nginx/sites-available/bigbluebutton file?
it would be super useful to have a working example

many thanks in advance 🙏