Sound distortion

Ali Alhaidary

Apr 18, 2022, 1:15:40 PM4/18/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Could you please advice which parameter we should tune to have better
voice quality and not distorted sound (as attached). It seems that it is
client independent as it is happening on safari on iPad, FF and chromium
on ubuntu and edge on windows 10.

we are on v2.4.6 with moodle 3.11.6 front end and no customization of
BBB running on a box with 4CPU (~50%) and 16 GB RAM (~40%).

Thanks and regards,

Ali
webcams.mp3

Fred Dixon

Apr 18, 2022, 11:53:56 PM4/18/22
to BigBlueButton-.
Hi Ali,

Are you able to reproduce this?   Can you test again and make the following change

  <action application="jitterbuffer" data="120"/>

in

  /opt/freeswitch/etc/freeswitch/dialplan/default/bbb_conference.xml

and let us know if that improves the audio.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton

Ali Alhaidary

Apr 19, 2022, 9:25:20 AM4/19/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Fred, the change was made on one of the v2.4.6 boxes, we will have to wait for teachers feedback.

Regards,

Ali

Ali Alhaidary

Apr 19, 2022, 1:24:05 PM4/19/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

Yes Fred, we can reproduce it on all v2.4.6 boxes, however, I did not get any confirmation of this issue on other servers running v2.4.4 or v2.5-beta-1 (only one server for limited number of users ~120).

Ali

Ali Alhaidary

Apr 22, 2022, 1:42:37 PM4/22/22
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi Fred,
The feedback we get is that this adjustment did enhance the voice on laptops using chromium and edge on low spec laptops (which is commonly used),  however, it did not enhance it on FF, so I assume it is now a client issue.
We made the same modification on all other boxes. Thank you for the advice.

Ali

Fred Dixon

Apr 22, 2022, 2:01:17 PM4/22/22
to BigBlueButton-.
Hi Ali,

> The feedback we get is that this adjustment did enhance the voice on laptops using chromium and edge on low spec laptops (which is commonly used),

Thanks for sharing this.

Is it possible to do testing with your users where you have them in a session and they switch between two BigBlueButton servers - one with these changes and one without.

This would give highest confidence that these changes are making a difference and we'll update them accordingly in the build for everyone.

Regards,... Fred

Ali Alhaidary

Apr 22, 2022, 2:52:45 PM4/22/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

Hi Fred,

I would love to, but do not know how to !!!

BBB session is linked to a course in moodle, and we have dedicated server for a collection of educational institutes (as we have multiple moodle instances, one for each educational institute).

I will talk also with administrators, but any idea of doing it ?

BTY, tech people asked me what that fix was, something I did not know, any document  that I can pass to them ?

Ali

Fred Dixon

Apr 22, 2022, 5:21:03 PM4/22/22
to BigBlueButton-.
HI Ali,

> BTY, tech people asked me what that fix was, something I did not know, any document  that I can pass to them ?

You can say it was an optimization made to the configuration of the voice conferencing component to BigBlueButton.

Regards,... Fred

Fred Dixon

Apr 23, 2022, 8:05:43 AM4/23/22
to BigBlueButton-.
Hi Ali,

> I will talk also with administrators, but any idea of doing it ?

Instead of having them go through Moodle, you can use `bbb-conf --secret` to get the credentials, and then APIMate to create a room (with a random meetingID and user name) and generate a join URL for that room.  This joinURL will be tied to the given meetingID and username, and will work as long as the meeting is running.

Do this on both servers -- one with stock FreeSWITCH settings and another with the modification.  Create the meetings on both, and join the meetings with the join URL.

You now have two join URLs that you can use to bring someone else into the same meetings -- you'll both have the same name, but that's fine.

Now they can join the first server (stock FreeSWITCH) and confirm their audio state is the same, and then join the second server (modified FreeSWITCH setting) and judge if there is a difference.

Regards,... Fred

Ali Alhaidary

Apr 23, 2022, 7:19:49 PM4/23/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com, anwar....@the5stars.org, ahmad....@the5stars.org

Thank you Fred, however, this is out of my technical capabilities. I will forward this to our tech team and get feed back and return to you.

Regards,

Ali

Ali Alhaidary

Apr 30, 2022, 4:35:30 PM4/30/22
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

Hi Fred,

sorry for my late response, things can take some time in different time zones. The feedback was not very conclusive mainly because of so many variables involved and judgement is based on personal sense.

However, after some searching in the recordings, I located a very recent recording on the modified server of the same professor, coming from the same IP address and contacted him to make sure that he used the same setup (same device, same browser and same connection), take a listen...

Thus for me, this is conclusive. Applied the modification on other servers, and, as I can see it is already on v2.5-b2 which is now on limited production as well.

so many thanks,

Ali

webcams.mp3