Could someone post a 1.5-2 minutes recording of them talking (or playing an audiobook) via BBB conference?

Alex

Oct 24, 2019, 12:06:44 PM10/24/19
to BigBlueButton-Setup
I can't get rid of these sounds(@ ~30+sec)

1) It's on any device, any browser, any network

2) It's on any BBB installation (the official demo.bigbluebutton.org, distancelearning.cloud/demo-bigbluebutton-for-yourself/, my server).

3) There is no jitter or packet loss accorrding to

sudo tshark -q -f 'udp portrange 16384-32768' -o rtp.heuristic_rtp:TRUE -z rtp,streams

4) there is no issue with the internal clock or anything

5) I uploaded a wav file and played it DIRECTLY VIA FREESWITCH into a conference to all participants  using

fs_cli ->conference list-> conference XXXX play /tmp/test.wav

NO issues. The sound was very clear.

6) both manual and auto-installation script was tested

At this point unless I hear a clear recording of some of you guys I won't believe it's on my side (and what "side"? see #1 and 2)  especially taking into account all the things I posted above.

Thank you.

sd...@distancelearning.cloud

Oct 25, 2019, 9:42:45 AM10/25/19
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

Is it in the READ file of presenter?

Message has been deleted

Alex

Oct 29, 2019, 7:23:26 AM10/29/19
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hello.

IWhen I enable this

"

Add this to bbb_conference.xml right before <action application="conference" data="$1@cdquality"/>

<action application="set" data="RECORD_WRITE_ONLY=true"/>

<action application="record_session" data="/var/freeswitch/meetings/${destination_number}_${strftime(%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M-%S)}_WRITE_${caller_id_name}.wav"/>

<action application="set" data="RECORD_READ_ONLY=true"/>

<action application="record_session" data="/var/freeswitch/meetings/${destination_number}_${strftime(%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M-%S)}_READ_${caller_id_name}.wav"/>"

And there is only one user (presenter) in a conference , it creates only one file with 874384883268324-something name

When  a user joins another two files get created. READ and WRITE. READ file is silent. WRITE and 874384883268324-something audio files contain actual audio. Both have these sound issues.

sd...@distancelearning.cloud

Oct 29, 2019, 11:48:38 AM10/29/19
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com

Sounds like you presenter is entering through the dialplan somewhere else if I had to guess.

Regards,

Stephen

Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 7:22 AM
To: BigBlueButton-Setup <bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [bigbluebutton-setup] Could someone post a 1.5-2 minutes recording of them talking (or playing an audiobook) via BBB conference?

Hello.

IWhen I enable this

"

Add this to bbb_conference.xml right before <action application="conference" data="$1@cdquality"/>

<action application="set" data="RECORD_WRITE_ONLY=true"/>

<action application="record_session" data="/var/freeswitch/meetings/${destination_number}_${strftime(%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M-%S)}_WRITE_${caller_id_name}.wav"/>

<action application="set" data="RECORD_READ_ONLY=true"/>

<action application="record_session" data="/var/freeswitch/meetings/${destination_number}_${strftime(%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M-%S)}_READ_${caller_id_name}.wav"/>"

And there is only one user (presenter) in a conference , it creates only one file with 874384883268324-something name

When  a user joins another two files get created. READ and WRITE. READ file is silent.

Alex

Oct 29, 2019, 12:09:54 PM10/29/19
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Well, it's the default manual\and auto-installation...

And I'm still gonna ask everyone here... Can anyone actually produce a clear audio recording without these sounds?

On Tuesday, October 29, 2019 at 6:48:38 PM UTC+3, HostBBB.com wrote:

Sounds like you presenter is entering through the dialplan somewhere else if I had to guess.

Regards,

Stephen

Richard Alam

Oct 29, 2019, 2:26:40 PM10/29/19
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 12:09 PM Alex <fedotov...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, it's the default manual\and auto-installation...

And I'm still gonna ask everyone here... Can anyone actually produce a clear audio recording without these sounds?

I created a 2 minute recording on demo and the sounds are there. It is not perfect but clear enough.

Richard

On Tuesday, October 29, 2019 at 6:48:38 PM UTC+3, HostBBB.com wrote:

Sounds like you presenter is entering through the dialplan somewhere else if I had to guess.

Regards,

Stephen

Alex

Oct 30, 2019, 7:30:13 AM10/30/19
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Thank you Richard!

Hey Fred,

Is it possible that there might be something wrong with the way BBB uses Freeswitch? Something in configs?

I've  ruled out jitter, packet loss and freeswitch itself (transmitting an audio file from the server directly to a conference via freeswitch produces no sound issues.

For now we have to stream via youtube , start our webinar in a listen only mode and just share the streaming video..

Cheers!
Hi Alex,

Alex

Oct 30, 2019, 8:42:06 AM10/30/19
to BigBlueButton-Setup
And another question..

Is there any chance this will be tested and looked into?

It looks like I'm not the only one experiencing this issue.

Fred Dixon

Oct 30, 2019, 9:31:30 AM10/30/19
to BigBlueButton-.
Hi Alex,

> It looks like I'm not the only one experiencing this issue.

Everyone is experiencing having minor gaps in the audio in the recordings.  Just as you found earlier, it's on our demo server as well: you can record audio and there will be minor gaps in the audio (sometimes they are very brief, but audible).  Sometimes you'll have minutes of clear audio, and other times there will be minor gaps between words, sometimes at the very beginning of when a speaker talks. .

The questions you are asking is (a) why are they occurring and (b) how to prevent them?

The degree of these disruptions will differ depending on a one (or more) -- the user's computer, the user's bandwidth, the existence of a firewall between the user and the BigBlueButton server, the network latency/dropped packets between the user's network and the BigBlueButton server, the BigBlueButton server bandwidth's, the CPU load on the BigBlueButton server.

To narrow down (a), one idea would be to try setting up a BigBlueButton server local on your network and do a recording -- this will remove all possibilities of network latency/dropped packets.  We would be interested to hear if you get an audio recording with less gaps.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton

Richard Alam

Oct 30, 2019, 10:00:36 AM10/30/19
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

Perhaps you are experiencing this.

In your server, try editing  /opt/freeswitch/conf/autoload_configs/conference.conf.xml and set energy-level to a low value.

    <profile name="cdquality">
      <param name="domain" value="$${domain}"/>
      <param name="rate" value="48000"/>
      <param name="interval" value="20"/>
      <param name="energy-level" value="100"/>

HTH.

Richard

Alex

Oct 30, 2019, 10:03:37 AM10/30/19
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Not only recording. Listening live too.

>the user's computer, the user's bandwidth, the existence of a firewall between the user and the BigBlueButton server, the network latency/dropped packets between the user's network and the BigBlueButton server, the BigBlueButton server bandwidth's, the CPU load on the BigBlueButton server.

>the user's computer,

Any user computer and device including smartphones

>the user's bandwidth

100 mbit and 750Mbit aren't enough?

>the existence of a firewall between the user and the BigBlueButton server

Isn't turn server supposed to deal with it?

> the network latency/dropped packets between the user's network and the BigBlueButton server,

Minimal if any at all. No dropped packers or jitter observed when conducting these tests

>the BigBlueButton server bandwidth's

100Mbit and 1Gbit should be enough for 2 users (presenter and a guest)

>the CPU load on the BigBlueButton server.

Minimal for 2 users on an 8 cores CPU(dedicated), 8GB ram

We are not having issues with Zoom.us or with youtube streaming,

What;s even more important.

As I've said we __directly_played an audio file from our server into a conference to all participants, No issues. If any of the things you've mentioned were in play it would have affected it  and it would have had the same sound issues, wouldn't it?

Alex

Oct 30, 2019, 10:10:26 AM10/30/19
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hello Richard.

Thank you for the suggestion.

This is the first I do after I install BBB on any server.  We always set energy level to 0 to disable it completely and reduce any gaps. Needless to say it doesn't help much. 0 might be a bit better than 100 but the difference is minimal.

BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton

Fred Dixon

Oct 30, 2019, 11:57:48 AM10/30/19
to BigBlueButton-.
Hi Alex,

> I can't get rid of these sounds(@ ~30+sec) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XOIsofU2nD5vfZC8F7khGeIXV4KVIDBI/view

I can hear gaps in the audio.

> As I've said we __directly_played an audio file from our server into a conference to all participants, No issues. If any of the things you've mentioned were in play it would have affected it  and it would have had the same sound issues, wouldn't it?

It should, but anytime you think that everything is as it should, but it still is not working, then there is at least one assumption that is invalid.  The question is which one?

Is it an option for you to try recording on a local BigBlueButton server (to your LAN).  It should remove any potential issues of the network (one of the assumptions).

If you you still hear the gaps --> it is not the network (we haven't figure out yet, but we've narrowed it down)
If you don't hear the gaps -> it is very likely the network (same as above, no solution yet -- but we can focus on the differences in networking)

Regards,.. Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton

Alex

Oct 30, 2019, 1:00:51 PM10/30/19
to BigBlueButton-Setup
1) Why are there no gaps on other services(zoom, youtube, discord, steam,skype you name it). Even Jitsi (a far inferior to BBB system)that  uses webrtc didn't have them. it had other issues , but not this one.

2) >any potential issues of the network

Which network?

- The server's network? We tried it on..3 different networks\data centers. Each server had minimal ping, little (less than 1%)  jitter and packet loss

Don't forget we tried the official bbb demo server and the Stephen's server.

- The presenter's network?  I think we tried doing it using 4 or more different ISPs.

Let's assume it's not the network.  What's next?

PS Your server is in Canada, right?  And you live in Canada. Can you, personally, get an audio without these sounds? Very easy to heck it out. Run a webinar as a presenter from one laptop, join from another one., record the live audio stream with OBS or whatever.

Sincerely yours,
Alex
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to bigbluebutton-setup+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

--
BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton

Richard Alam

Oct 31, 2019, 11:07:02 AM10/31/19
On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 1:00 PM Alex <fedotov...@gmail.com> wrote:
1) Why are there no gaps on other services(zoom, youtube, discord, steam,skype you name it). Even Jitsi (a far inferior to BBB system)that  uses webrtc didn't have them. it had other issues , but not this one.

2) >any potential issues of the network

Which network?

- The server's network? We tried it on..3 different networks\data centers. Each server had minimal ping, little (less than 1%)  jitter and packet loss

Don't forget we tried the official bbb demo server and the Stephen's server.

- The presenter's network?  I think we tried doing it using 4 or more different ISPs.

Let's assume it's not the network.  What's next?

Audio packets are sent directly from the browser to FreeSWITCH. If it's not the network, then it's something inside FreeSWITCH. We'll have to get the FS folks involved in that. We just used FS out-of-box and modify configs.

You mentioned that in your setup there is no or very minimal jitter. Can you try again and collect call stats from FS to see what it thinks of the call quality?

To get the uuids of the channels

/opt/freeswitch/bin/fs_cli', '-x', 'show channels as json

To get the stats, change the uuid to your channel.

/opt/freeswitch/bin/fs_cli -x 'json {"command": "mediaStats", "data": {"uuid": "bd3b2d9f-7cf8-4e9e-86dd-8f88305f2b48" }}'

Richard

BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton

BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton

Message has been deleted

Alex

Nov 1, 2019, 4:22:38 AM11/1/19
to BigBlueButton-Setup
then it's something inside FreeSWITCH

We directly played a wav filestored on the server  through Freeswitch into a conference. No issues.

Alex

Nov 1, 2019, 4:33:04 AM11/1/19
to BigBlueButton-Setup
2 people in a  conference. A presenter and a guest

/opt/freeswitch/bin# /opt/freeswitch/bin/fs_cli -x 'json {"command": "mediaStats", "data": {"uuid": "ece1b196-7b9a-48e3-9313-d7928b169f4d" }}'

{"command":"mediaStats","data":{"uuid":"ece1b196-7b9a-48e3-9313-d7928b169f4d"},"status":"success","response":{"audio":{"in_raw_bytes":6733826,"in_media_bytes":6733727,"in_packet_count":73677,"in_media_packet_count":73676,"in_skip_packet_count":1037,"in_jitter_packet_count":0,"in_dtmf_packet_count":0,"in_cng_packet_count":0,"in_flush_packet_count":1,"in_largest_jb_size":0,"in_jitter_min_variance":7.890340,"in_jitter_max_variance":110.500000,"in_jitter_loss_rate":0,"in_jitter_burst_rate":0,"in_mean_interval":20.000810,"in_flaw_total":3,"in_quality_percentage":99,"in_mos":4.492027,"out_raw_bytes":1987017,"out_media_bytes":1987017,"out_packet_count":74107,"out_media_packet_count":74107,"out_skip_packet_count":0,"out_dtmf_packet_count":0,"out_cng_packet_count":0,"rtcp_packet_count":74033,"rtcp_octet_count":5878200}}}

/opt/freeswitch/bin# /opt/freeswitch/bin/fs_cli -x 'json {"command": "mediaStats", "data": {"uuid": "d033a87e-2851-44de-a6cc-afcbdb987a17" }}'
{"command":"mediaStats","data":{"uuid":"d033a87e-2851-44de-a6cc-afcbdb987a17"},"status":"success","response":{"audio":{"in_raw_bytes":0,"in_media_bytes":0,"in_packet_count":0,"in_media_packet_count":0,"in_skip_packet_count":64121,"in_jitter_packet_count":0,"in_dtmf_packet_count":0,"in_cng_packet_count":0,"in_flush_packet_count":0,"in_largest_jb_size":0,"in_jitter_min_variance":0,"in_jitter_max_variance":0,"in_jitter_loss_rate":0,"in_jitter_burst_rate":0,"in_mean_interval":0,"in_flaw_total":0,"in_quality_percentage":100,"in_mos":4.500000,"out_raw_bytes":8914051,"out_media_bytes":8914051,"out_packet_count":64121,"out_media_packet_count":64121,"out_skip_packet_count":0,"out_dtmf_packet_count":0,"out_cng_packet_count":0,"rtcp_packet_count":0,"rtcp_octet_count":0}}}

Alex

Nov 1, 2019, 5:00:00 AM11/1/19
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Src IP addr  Port    Dest IP addr  Port       SSRC          Payload  Pkts         Lost   Max Delta(ms)  Max Jitter(ms) Mean Jitter(ms) Problems?
   217.23.XX.XX 28744  85.143.164.218 55054 0x3936C535      Unknown(96)  2055     0 (0.0%)            0.00            0.00            0.00
 85.143.XXX.XXX 60314    217.23.XX.XX 25208 0x272CB6C1     Unknown(120)  2339     0 (0.0%)            0.00            0.00            0.00
   217.23.XX.XX 22350  85.143.XXX.XXX 25942 0x85C09081     Unknown(109) 10175     0 (0.0%)            0.00            0.00            0.00
 85.143.XXX.XXX 25942    217.23.XX.XX 22350 0xA29E117E     Unknown(109) 10176     0 (0.0%)            0.00

RTP analyzed by tshark

0 packets lost, 0 jitter.

Alex

Nov 1, 2019, 1:15:57 PM11/1/19
to BigBlueButton-Setup
We've tested today Nextcloud Talk.

It also uses WebRTC.

The sound was clear.

I'm sorry, but at this point,considering everything posted in this thread and audio clipping (or whatever we can call it) reproduced on the official BBB demo server by different parties, we should acknowledge that there is undeniably an issue with Freeswitch\BBB config.

Where exactly the problem lies is for the devs to find out. Unfortunately I can't do it.

I believe that this should be on a priority list. Web conference is about audio quality first and foremost. Polling, chat, video sharing, whiteboard etc are all good and fine, but audio quality comes first.

I guess I won't be posting anymore\spamming forum with my ramblings on the matter =)  coz I believe enough was said.

Thank you all guys for taking your time and trying to help me out.

PS  My friend and I tested the official bbb demo server and the issue was much more noticeable there ( coz of energy level =100?)

Richard Alam

Nov 1, 2019, 3:31:41 PM11/1/19
On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 1:16 PM Alex <fedotov...@gmail.com> wrote:
We've tested today Nextcloud Talk.

It also uses WebRTC.

The sound was clear.

I'm sorry, but at this point,considering everything posted in this thread and audio clipping (or whatever we can call it) reproduced on the official BBB demo server by different parties, we should acknowledge that there is undeniably an issue with Freeswitch\BBB config.

Where exactly the problem lies is for the devs to find out. Unfortunately I can't do it.

I've been spending the day investigating this issue.

I can reproduce the issue as you described on my local VM.

I play an audio book wav file on the server directly into the conference and the recorded wav file is clear.

I use playback the same audio book wav using VLC -> VoiceMeter and use VoiceMeter as input (instead of mic) to call into the conference and confirm that the recorded wav file has clippings.

I also captured pcap on the server but unfortunately cannot extract the audio out as it is encrypted.

We are trying to narrow down where these clippings are introduced but so far no success.

We can't play an opus file directly into the conference to see if the transcoding from opus to wav introduces the issue. There's also the question of the bitrate of the audio sent by the browser to the server.

We'll continue to work on it and hopefully will have some luck.

Richard

I believe that this should be on a priority list. Web conference is about audio quality first and foremost. Polling, chat, video sharing, whiteboard etc are all good and fine, but audio quality comes first.

I guess I won't be posting anymore\spamming forum with my ramblings on the matter =)  coz I believe enough was said.

Thank you all guys for taking your time and trying to help me out.

PS  My friend and I tested the official bbb demo server and the issue was much more noticeable there ( coz of energy level =100?)

Alex

Nov 5, 2019, 4:46:11 AM11/5/19
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hey Richard.

Thanx a lot for looking into this.

on my local VM

VMs have their own issues when it comes to freeswitch tbh. This one though can be reproduced even on bare metal servers.

I really hope in time this will get fixed.

For now we have decided to stream audio\video via youtube and share a stream link right into a webinar.

Regards

Richard Alam

Nov 6, 2019, 3:46:09 PM11/6/19
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

We got some help from the freeswitch folks.

It looks like the opus.conf and conference.conf just needed some tuning. I did several recordings and they sounded good.

Can you please make the following modifications on your server?

Just two file need to be modified.
/opt/freeswitch/conf/autoload_configs/conference.conf.xml
/opt/freeswitch/conf/autoload_configs/opus.conf.xml

For /opt/freeswitch/conf/autoload_configs/opus.conf.xml

<configuration name="opus.conf">
      <settings>
        <param name="use-vbr" value="1"/>
        <param name="use-dtx" value="0"/>
        <param name="complexity" value="5"/>
        <param name="maxaveragebitrate" value="32000"/>
        <param name="maxplaybackrate" value="8000"/>
        <param name="packet-loss-percent" value="15"/>
        <param name="keep-fec-enabled" value="1"/>
        <param name="use-jb-lookahead" value="1"/>
        <param name="advertise-useinbandfec" value="1"/>
      </settings>
</configuration>

For /opt/freeswitch/conf/autoload_configs/conference.conf.xml
The  energy-level and  comfort-noise values were changed.

    <profile name="cdquality">
      <param name="domain" value="$${domain}"/>
      <param name="rate" value="48000"/>
      <param name="interval" value="20"/>
      <param name="energy-level" value="200"/>
      <!-- <param name="sound-prefix" value="$${sounds_dir}/en/us/callie"/> -->
      <param name="muted-sound" value="conference/conf-muted.wav"/>
      <param name="unmuted-sound" value="conference/conf-unmuted.wav"/>
      <param name="alone-sound" value="conference/conf-alone.wav"/>

      <param name="locked-sound" value="conference/conf-locked.wav"/>
      <param name="is-locked-sound" value="conference/conf-is-locked.wav"/>
      <param name="is-unlocked-sound" value="conference/conf-is-unlocked.wav"/>
      <param name="pin-sound" value="conference/conf-pin.wav"/>
      <param name="bad-pin-sound" value="conference/conf-bad-pin.wav"/>
      <param name="caller-id-name" value="$${outbound_caller_name}"/>
      <param name="caller-id-number" value="$${outbound_caller_id}"/>
      <param name="comfort-noise" value="1400"/>
    </profile>

Please tell me if it is good too on your end so we can modify the default configs and include in the next release.

Thanks.

Richard

Alex

Nov 7, 2019, 11:32:26 AM11/7/19
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi Richard!

I'll try it tomorrow when I get to the office.

Regards,
Alex

Fred Dixon

Nov 7, 2019, 11:42:22 AM11/7/19
to BigBlueButton-.
Hi Alex,

We're still doing some testing.  Please use the following values for opus.conf.xml

<configuration name="opus.conf">
      <settings>
        <param name="use-vbr" value="1"/>
        <param name="use-dtx" value="0"/>
        <param name="complexity" value="5"/>

        <param name="packet-loss-percent" value="15"/>
        <param name="keep-fec-enabled" value="1"/>
        <param name="use-jb-lookahead" value="1"/>
        <param name="advertise-useinbandfec" value="1"/>
      </settings>
</configuration>

Regards,... Fred

Alex

Nov 8, 2019, 7:55:57 AM11/8/19
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hey Fred (and K)

So I've tested a bit with these settings:

<param name="comfort-noise" value="1400"/>
<param name="energy-level" value="200"/>

<configuration name="opus.conf">
      <settings>
        <param name="use-vbr" value="1"/>
        <param name="use-dtx" value="0"/>
        <param name="complexity" value="5"/>
        <param name="packet-loss-percent" value="15"/>
        <param name="keep-fec-enabled" value="1"/>
        <param name="use-jb-lookahead" value="1"/>
        <param name="advertise-useinbandfec" value="1"/>
      </settings>
</configuration>

And I dunno.. it might be a bit better, but i still hear these "popping' sounds

Regards,
Alex

Richard Alam

Nov 8, 2019, 9:00:12 AM11/8/19
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Can you please try with the first setting with the maxaveragebitrate? We rmoved it because when we did not use audibook but just regular speech the audio was telephone quality. I think is is the bitrate 8k settings. Will have to do more tests today

Richard Alam

Nov 8, 2019, 5:35:17 PM11/8/19
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I did more config tweaking and did some tests.

Here are recordings I did with the config below.

Can you please try with the following config changes?

root@droplet-4689:/opt/freeswitch# cat conf/autoload_configs/opus.conf.xml

<configuration name="opus.conf">
      <settings>
        <param name="use-vbr" value="1"/>
        <param name="use-dtx" value="0"/>
        <param name="complexity" value="5"/>
        <param name="packet-loss-percent" value="10"/>

        <param name="keep-fec-enabled" value="1"/>
        <param name="use-jb-lookahead" value="1"/>
        <param name="maxaveragebitrate" value="30000"/>
        <param name="maxplaybackrate" value="48000"/>
        <param name="sprop-maxcapturerate" value="48000"/>
        <param name="adjust-bitrate" value="1"/>
      </settings>
</configuration>

root@droplet-4689:/opt/freeswitch# cat conf/autoload_configs/conference.conf.xml

      <param name="energy-level" value="200"/>
      <param name="comfort-noise" value="1400"/>

root@droplet-4689:/opt/freeswitch# cat conf/dialplan/default/bbb_echo_to_conference.xml
<include>
  <extension name="ECHO_TO_CONFERENCE">
    <condition field="${bbb_from_echo}" expression="true" break="on-false"/>
    <condition field="destination_number" expression="^(ECHO_TO_CONFERENCE)$">
        <action application="set" data="rtp_jitter_buffer_plc=true"/>
        <action application="set" data="suppress_cng=true"/>
        <action application="set" data="jitterbuffer_msec=20:400"/>
        <action application="set" data="dtmf_type=info"/>
        <action application="send_dtmf" data="7"/>
        <action application="conference" data="${vbridge}@cdquality"/>
    </condition>
  </extension>
</include>

Please let me know if this is good enough for your use case. Tried to find opus settings from Jitsi so I could try it out but could not find them.

Richard

Alex

Nov 9, 2019, 8:17:06 AM11/9/19
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hey Richard,

May I ask why u have changed echo conference settings? Don't they affect only self-test?.

I listened to the files in your archive.

1) The recorded files 183f0bf3a0982a127bdb8161e0c44eb696b3e75c-1573248389295-xxxx have these "sounds"

2) The 3min recording actually sounds pretty good

Have you tried checking out how it sounds when you join as a listener (and recording it as a listener using,say, obs(audio only capture)?

Unfortunately I can't test how it sounds for listeners until Monday, but here is a file from var/freeswitch

I might be mistaken but it seems to sound better with the new settings. The "sounds" are still there though, maybe not as noticeable as before..

PS I don't think Jitsi uses freeswitch hence no opus.conf.xml. I'll ask on their forums where does it keep webrtc\opus settings.Hopefully someone will respond.

Regards,
Alex
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to bigbluebutton-setup+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Richard Alam

Nov 11, 2019, 10:42:31 AM11/11/19

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 8:17 AM Alex <fedotov...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Richard,

May I ask why u have changed echo conference settings? Don't they affect only self-test?.

The conf/dialplan/default/bbb_echo_to_conference.xml dialplan is where the user is put into the conference after echo test.

I tried to make changes to the settings based on this document.

I listened to the files in your archive.

1) The recorded files 183f0bf3a0982a127bdb8161e0c44eb696b3e75c-1573248389295-xxxx have these "sounds"

Agreed. Everything I tried doesn't remove these sounds completely.

2) The 3min recording actually sounds pretty good

These are the source audio files I play so they don't have the sounds.

Have you tried checking out how it sounds when you join as a listener (and recording it as a listener using,say, obs(audio only capture)?

No, I haven't. What I tried is to bridge the call to another FS server so I can to packet capture as the packets leave the first FS. I then extracted
the raw audio and can hear the clipping sounds there.

Unfortunately, we can't decode the packets when they leave the browser and into the server as they are encrypted. That is why I had to bridge the call
to get unencrypted packets.

Richard

Alex

Nov 11, 2019, 1:35:08 PM11/11/19
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi.

> we can't decode the packets when they leave the browser and into the server as they are encrypted

I'm not sure if it is relevant but you can decrypt SSL traffic in Wireshark

>Everything I tried doesn't remove these sounds completely.

 ;(

So,I guess this is it then? The end of the road so to speak....

PS I've tried listening live as a guest today and it was all the same as the saved audio file in var/freeswitch(presenter only)

Sincerely yours,
Alex
Hi Alex,

Fred Dixon

Nov 11, 2019, 2:00:13 PM11/11/19
to BigBlueButton-.
Hi Alex,

> ;(
> So,I guess this is it then? The end of the road so to speak....

Sorry we couldn't remove all the small gaps in the audio.  But it's not the end of the road.  FreeSWITCH, the internet, the browsers, and our knowledge of how it all works is always improving.

Thanks for pushing a bit on this, as it brought us back to take a closer look at the configuration files we were using in FreeSWITCH.  If the audio quality is not good enough for you in BigBlueButton, that's OK too.  You can always check back with us periodically to see how the project has progressed.

Regards,... Fred

Hi Alex,

Alex

Nov 12, 2019, 3:45:34 AM11/12/19
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hello Fred.

May I ask what freeswitch config changes will make it into the upcoming release of BBB (if it is planned) ? The ones Richard posted a bit earlier or something different?

Regards,
Alex
Hi Alex,

Fred Dixon

Nov 12, 2019, 7:37:21 AM11/12/19
to BigBlueButton-.
Hi Alex,

Here's the default settings in BigBlueButton 2.2-rc-1

# cat /opt/freeswitch/conf/autoload_configs/opus.conf.xml

<configuration name="opus.conf">
      <settings>
        <param name="use-vbr" value="1"/>
        <param name="use-dtx" value="0"/>
        <param name="complexity" value="5"/>

        <param name="packet-loss-percent" value="15"/>
        <param name="keep-fec-enabled" value="1"/>
        <param name="use-jb-lookahead" value="1"/>
        <param name="advertise-useinbandfec" value="1"/>
      </settings>
</configuration>

Regards,... Fred

Hi Alex,

BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton

Alex

Nov 13, 2019, 9:11:43 AM11/13/19
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi

We've restored back these settings and made a test run with some students who were not aware of the issue and they said it got kinda irritating in 1 hour or so, and they still had study for 3-4  hours , so we switched back to adding youtube stream into the webinar.

In short we are essentially left with 3 choices:

1) use BBB + youtube(OBS) which is really inconvenient and we'll have to assign a person who would  babysit every teacher coz this setup is too complicated for them.(sometimes we have to change youtube's live streaming channels for different lectures, so it could get messy really fast if someone screws up)

2) Look for other self-hosted solutions and unfortunately  there is simply no alternative to BBB in terms of what it offers. OpenMeeting is just too dated and heavy on resources for no reason at all.And it's interface is atrocious.  Nextcloud talk works fine but it's not a webinar..It's more of a skype alternative and lacks lots of features. Jitsi's sound is fine, but it is MUCH more CPU heavy/per user and for some reason webcams get laggy and sometimes we get plagued by "user x is experiencing a connectivity issue" and judging by their forum we are not alone. Lots of threads on this problem.

And..this is it.. I don't think there is something else available. If there is, I'd be obliged if you could point me in the right direction.

3) Get a paid service (zoom etc).BBB's interface is better in terms of being user friendly(everything in one place and visible at once- chat, user li\its etc. + unfortunately we have found out that  the upper management is not that happy with the  zoom and K's  pricing considering all their limitations in regard to the number of presenters and viewers.We work for a non-private federal company and they are very, VERY stingy.

Anyways, I hope this issue will not be forgotten and, perhaps, in time, you'll find out a fix.

Peace out.

Alex

Fred Dixon

Nov 13, 2019, 9:57:43 AM11/13/19
to BigBlueButton-.
Hi Alex,

> BBB's interface is better in terms of being user friendly(everything in one place and visible at once- chat, user li\its etc. +

Thanks for the good words.  Our focus is on education (online learning), and our focus is to give the instructor lots of tools to engage students and have the interface "fade into the background" as the instructor and students get on with the job of learning.

We're not giving up on improving the audio.  We'll be revisiting this issue in the coming months and working with yourself and others in the forum to better understand where these random clicks/pops are coming from in the audio.

For the moment, we're primarily focused on finishing BigBlueButton 2.2.

As an aside, the FreeSWITCH project recently raised over 11m in investment, so they (SignalWire) are pushing hard to accelerate development as well.  We use FreeSWITCH as the core for handling all audio in BigBlueButton.

Regards,... Fred

Alex

Nov 15, 2019, 2:54:17 PM11/15/19
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hi Richard.

Try these settings

conference.conf.xml
<param name="interval" value="120"/>
<param name="energy-level" value="0"/>
<param name="comfort-noise" value="1400"/>

opus.conf..xml

<configuration name="opus.conf">
      <settings>
        <param name="use-vbr" value="1"/>
        <param name="use-dtx" value="0"/>
        <param name="complexity" value="5"/>
        <param name="packet-loss-percent" value="15"/>
        <param name="keep-fec-enabled" value="1"/>
        <param name="use-jb-lookahead" value="1"/>
        <param name="advertise-useinbandfec" value="1"/>
      </settings>
</configuration>

Do recordings\live audio have less clipping? I'm not sure about the interval setting though..120 is absolute maximum  and they say it could degrade audio quality.

Regards.

On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 6:42:31 PM UTC+3, Richard Alam wrote:
Hi Alex,

Alex

Nov 27, 2019, 1:12:23 PM11/27/19
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hey Fred.

I was wondering whether this issue is posted on github so that it won't get lost on the forum ;)

If it is, could you share a link,please, so that I could bookmark it and check its status occasionally.

Cheers,

Alex
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to bigbluebutton-setup+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Fred Dixon

Nov 27, 2019, 1:38:48 PM11/27/19
to BigBlueButton-.
Hi Alex,

On the settings that you posted, did you hear an audible improvement in the audio capture on your setup?