Rasberry Pi 4 - 8GB model

Fred Dixon

Feb 25, 2021, 9:54:07 PM2/25/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi there,

Anyone tried running BigBlueButton on the latest Raspberry Pi 4?  Just curious how it works.

Regards,... Fred

--
BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton

Tobias Fiebig

Feb 26, 2021, 6:52:03 AM2/26/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

Are there packages for that ARCH?

Met vriendelijke groet,

Dr.-Ing. Tobias Fiebig

Assistant Professor / Universitair Docent

TU Delft - Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management (TBM)

T +31 (0)15 27 85700

t.fi...@tudelft.nl

My working day may not be your working day. Please do not feel obliged to reply to this email outside of your normal working hours.

Fred Dixon

Feb 26, 2021, 7:57:53 AM2/26/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Tobias,

I've not tried Raspberry PI myself, and you're right -- we would need to build ARM versions of the packages (at least for FreeSWITCH and Kurento).

That's something we can try in the future (and certainly after getting 2.3 released).

Regards,... Fred

j...@k6jm.com

Feb 26, 2021, 4:53:08 PM2/26/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

Pi’s are wonderful when asked to do what they are good at.  In my hobby (amateur radio), I have been using them since the first model. There are 4 of them within a meter of me, and I am configuring another right now to stand up a repeater on a mountaintop that can handle multiple digital voice modes.

The Pi 4 runs pretty hot, but with heat sinks and fans, that is easy enough to deal with.  But in general, BBB requires not only CPU and memory, but solid networking.  That is not always easy to accomplish outside of a data center.

We use BBB for our small Language School in Germany.  Classes never exceed 15 students.  We run on a dedicated server at Hetzner using VMWare.  One VM runs Moodle and accounting apps, another BBB, another the Turn server, another does backup.  We know you recommend bare metal, but for our limited requirements, the virtual machines are working well.

But even with our modest needs, I am not sure I would want to use Pi’s in a home or office environment because of the networking needs.  So I look forward to hearing if a Pi has been used for BBB, and how.

Jim Moen,  IT Manager

Smart Flower Language School

www.smartflower.de

Feb 26, 2021, 4:56:06 PM2/26/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
ARM like M1 or M1X ist also interesting :)

but I have no idea how difficult that is

Sergey Vlasov

Aug 21, 2021, 8:27:22 AM8/21/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Fred,

I'm trying to install BBB 2.3 on ARM64.
I've got some progress, but stuck at the end of installation as I'm missing bigbluebutton and  bbb-html5 binaries.
E: Unable to locate package bigbluebutton
E: Unable to locate package bbb-html5

According to BBB development documentation I need a running BBB server first.
Are there any chance you can build these binaries for ARM64 as 2.3 already release? I can try to built myself but I can't find documentation on where too start build process.
I think it will be great for the community taking in consideration that ARM becoming mainstream with availability of Apple ARM devices, AWS Graviton compute nodes and RPi4.

Regards,

Sergey

basisbit

Aug 21, 2021, 5:49:38 PM8/21/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
Please see https://github.com/bigbluebutton/bigbluebutton/issues/10677 regarding BBB on Raspberry Pi.
TLDR: Kurento does not yet support ARM.

Sergey Vlasov

Aug 22, 2021, 11:24:08 AM8/22/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
Thank you @basisbit for the reply!

There was some work done on Kurento support for arm64 by @goroya . But the change https://github.com/goroya/kurento-media-server  was not merged to the project.
Is it only the only dependency left to make BBB work on arm64?

Regards,

Sergey

Fred Dixon

Aug 22, 2021, 1:22:00 PM8/22/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Sergey,

> Are there any chance you can build these binaries for ARM64 as 2.3 already release? I can try to built myself but I can't find documentation on where too start build process.

We're starting to look at building BigBlueButton for the ARM processor as well.  No promised on a delivery date, but this will likely happen as part of the 2.4 development cycle currently underway.

> I think it will be great for the community taking in consideration that ARM becoming mainstream with availability of Apple ARM devices, AWS Graviton compute nodes and RPi4.

Agreed!

Regards,... Fred

Sergey Vlasov

Aug 22, 2021, 1:53:44 PM8/22/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Fred,

Thank you for the response!  It is a great news.

Regards,

Sergey

Sergey Vlasov

Sep 6, 2021, 9:48:53 PM9/6/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi again,

If you are still planning to use Kurento for WebRTC I've found a pretty detailed procedure of building Kurento and its dependencies for ARM64 on Ubuntu 18.04 https://bbs.huaweicloud.com/blogs/detail/147677 .
 It can be easily translated with Google Translate. But it sometimes breaking format of the commands. I was able to replicate the procedure. But I'm not sure on the next steps of integration with BBB 2.4.

Regards,

Sergey