BigBlueButton 2.3-beta-1 released

Anton Georgiev

Mar 24, 2021, 6:56:14 PM3/24/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
We are pleased to announce 2.3-beta-1, the latest release to BigBluebutton 2.3-dev.

This release of BigBlueButton 2.3 includes multiple bug fixes and several new features.

The full release notes for 2.3-beta-1 are here

To try out 2.3-beta-1, visit

Or, better yet, grab a Ubuntu 18.04 64-bit server and install the latest version yourself (it will take only a few minutes):

Note that the repository used to install is now `bionic-230` rather than `bionic-230-dev`, so please double check the command you use for the update. Check the instructions in the link above.

As always, we welcome feedback on this latest update.
Anton

Sakis

Mar 24, 2021, 7:49:23 PM3/24/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
How many concurrent users in a single room does this version support?

Fred Dixon

Mar 24, 2021, 9:10:12 PM3/24/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
> How many concurrent users in a single room does this version support?

It should be more than 2.2.  We're looking forward to hearing back on some real-world testing.

Also, we noticed a small issue in 2.3-beta-1 that is preventing recordings to process with screen sharing a Chrome tab + capture system audio enabled.  Recordings without capture system audio enable process fine.

We'll be releasing a fix for it shortly.

In the meantime, there are a *lot* of features to try out in 2.3-beta-1.  We're looking forward to hearing the feedback and results of testing from the community.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton

a.og...@entouch.co.jp

Mar 24, 2021, 9:32:50 PM3/24/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi great to see 2.3 is in final stages.

One tiny request - PLEASE version the packages, we cannot test properly and we have a slightly modified codebase so we need to keep sync.

beta im guessing would be bionic-230-beta-1.
is bionic-230-dev currently Alpha 8?

No clue what I'm installing ;)

Small ask! (if it's easy, package alpha 7 for us would also be great)
Thanks!

Fred Dixon

Mar 24, 2021, 9:46:14 PM3/24/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Ally,

> Note that the repository used to install is now `bionic-230` rather than `bionic-230-dev`, so please double check the command you use for the update. Check the instructions in the link above.

To emphasize, to install the 2.3-beta-1 (or upgrade from an alpha release), use bbb-install.sh with the following new parameter

  -v bionic-230

This switches you to the beta packages.  If you want to install a previous alpha build (on a clean Ubuntu 18.04 server), you can use one of the following parameters

  -v bionic-230-dev-alpha1
  -v bionic-230-dev-alpha2
  -v bionic-230-dev-alpha3
  -v bionic-230-dev-alpha4
  -v bionic-230-dev-alpha5
  -v bionic-230-dev-alpha6
  -v bionic-230-dev-alpha7
  -v bionic-230-dev-alpha8

Regards,... Fred

Martin Thomas Schrott

Mar 25, 2021, 6:09:50 AM3/25/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com, Anton Georgiev

guys, congrats, installation of beta 1 worked very smoothly.

special thanks for the raise hand button! :-) lots of people where waiting for it and I appreciate, that it did make it into the first beta.

we will offer the beta to some of our users for testing now and hope to get some feedback on it in the next weeks.

cheers

Martin

Fred Dixon

Mar 25, 2021, 7:51:40 AM3/25/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
> we will offer the beta to some of our users for testing now and hope to get some feedback on it in the next weeks.

Thanks Martin -- looking forward to the feedback.

Regards,... Fred

Bjoern Franke

Mar 25, 2021, 8:51:53 AM3/25/21
Am 24.03.21 um 23:56 schrieb Anton Georgiev:
> We are pleased to announce 2.3-beta-1, the latest release to
> BigBluebutton 2.3-dev.

Nice, we upgraded from alpha5 to beta-1 and everything went smooth
except the instance-ID call in the urls which had to be removed.

Regards
Bjoern

Martin Thomas Schrott

Mar 25, 2021, 9:45:07 AM3/25/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com, Fred Dixon
...just a short first feedback:

the raise hand notifications (audio and popup) should be  anounced to the current presenter (in addition to the moderators) even if this is a normal user.

in regards to accessibility the menue opened by clicking on a username is not intuitive for screenreaders (tested with nvda)
- not yet an idea how to improve this though

cheers
Martin

Martin Thomas Schrott

Mar 25, 2021, 10:13:06 AM3/25/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com, Fred Dixon

found a problem with pdf for presentations:

we have a pdf produced from a keynote presentation. 123 steps / pages are rendered.

in 2.2   most of the slides are rendered correctly (two may be defect)

in 2.3 at least five slides are broken.

did anything change in how pdf files are converted? ...anything to configure?

cheers

Martin

Martin Thomas Schrott

Mar 25, 2021, 10:45:03 AM3/25/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com, Fred Dixon

... seems some pages (in this case page 6) always are broken (conversion results in extreemely small 277bytes pages)  that are shown as white pages.

interesting is, that manually executing the command:

pdftocairo -r 300 -svg -f 6 -l 6 keynote-presentation.pdf 6.svg

works and the page / slide is shown correctly. Within bbb (log shows exactly the same command) the page is empty. - is there any other command that converts the svg for the presentation? Any idea what could cause this issue?

Fred Dixon

Mar 25, 2021, 10:47:25 AM3/25/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
If you can reproduce on test23.bigbluebutton.org and open an issue (and attach a sample presentation for a developer to reproduce), that would be great.

Regards,... Fred

Anton Georgiev

Mar 25, 2021, 7:10:20 PM3/25/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Martin,

>we have a pdf produced from a keynote presentation. 123 steps / pages are rendered.
>in 2.2   most of the slides are rendered correctly (two may be defect)
>in 2.3 at least five slides are broken.

Tiago https://github.com/tdjac0bs just submitted a pull request that should help in this scenario (and will land in beta-2)

The reasoning goes as follows:
On 2.3 by default we have a higher number of threads for slide conversion (5 vs 2 in 2.2) - `numConversionThreads=5` in bigbluebutton.properties.
With more concurrent pdftocairo processes, the cpu usage is higher, so each command takes more time. With that comes the more frequent timeout during conversion.  The timeout was hardcoded to 7 seconds, now with the pull request it is 60 seconds. Looks like another pull request is coming to make this value configurable and to improve logging.

No need to test on test23 now but we would be grateful if you could use this same presentation to test against beta-2, which is in the works now.

Hope this helps,
-Anton

Martin Thomas Schrott

Mar 25, 2021, 7:24:52 PM3/25/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com, Anton Georgiev

Anton,

thank you for these great news! Exactly what we thought, that there might be a timeout that causes some sliedes to not be rendered ...but we could not verify that ...

We will test beta 2 as soon as it is released and get back with the results.

Please also considder increasing the timeout in v2.2, as our users experience this there too and we had three new tickets yesterday with exactly this problem. :-)

cheers

Martin

Ali Alhaidary

Mar 26, 2021, 6:24:01 AM3/26/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

Good job,

I have noticed that some of the captions in the html5 client is not translated to Arabic, I have translated most of the 705 caption for the 2.2 version, and they are now all translated, however, in v2.3 are not. kindly advice the location of localization tables to translate.

Ali

Ali Alhaidary

Mar 26, 2021, 6:26:09 AM3/26/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

Thank you, found it.

Ali

Ali Alhaidary

Mar 26, 2021, 11:23:19 AM3/26/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

Arabic localization is done. I do appreciate taking a look at the strings that were hard coded in 2.2 and put it in localization files in 2.3.

Ali

Ali Alhaidary

Mar 26, 2021, 12:05:53 PM3/26/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

In 2.2, landing page is in /var/www/bigbluebutton/client/BigBlueButton.html, where is it in 2.3 please?

Ali

Ferdinand Soethe

Mar 27, 2021, 8:44:24 AM3/27/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

Happy things are moving ahead.

I'm testing on my own server (thanks OSC) and the test server
https://test23.bigbluebutton.org/ and I have problems activating the camera in a break-out room. Already reported this for alpha 8.
Steps to reproduce:

    Create a breaktout room.
    use join feature for moderators
    activate camera.

the camera dialog shows as it should and you can select a camera.
the dialog closes and the camera area widens (like there was a webcam showing), but it remains black.

And if you point at the webcam control it shows a msg saying that webcam sharing is being startet.

As mentioned this also happened in the alpha 8 when we tested with several normal users.

Kind regards
Ferdinand

OpenPGP_0x3ECD15888DA505A0.asc
OpenPGP_signature

Ferdinand Soethe

Mar 27, 2021, 8:48:36 AM3/27/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

Also in breakout rooms at the top and bottom of presentations a few lines of pixels are missing.
See how the blue minus is cut off?

cheers ferdinand

OpenPGP_0x3ECD15888DA505A0.asc
OpenPGP_signature

ma...@soethe.net

Mar 27, 2021, 11:29:24 AM3/27/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
This problem seems Firefox only ...

Paulo Lanzarin

Mar 28, 2021, 9:19:49 AM3/28/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Steps to reproduce:

    Create a breaktout room.
    use join feature for moderators
    activate camera.

Ferdinand,

Can't reproduce with those steps in test23. Would you mind giving a few more details about that?
- Browser (version)
- OS (version)
- Reproduce the problem, get the console logs from the parent and breakout rooms.

jossef

Mar 28, 2021, 11:31:05 AM3/28/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
i was able to reproduce this issue consistently in test23.bigbluebutton.org/  on chrome and firefox, webcam broadcast did not start on breakout room

ב-יום ראשון, 28 במרץ 2021 בשעה 16:19:49 UTC+3, plan...@gmail.com כתב/ה:

Rudraksh Batra

Mar 28, 2021, 2:07:03 PM3/28/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Fred,

Is it possible, if we want to know how many times person was on mute in particular meeting and its duration  and also about how many time raised hand. if not can we see this feature in upcoming versions.

Also, if i need to take load for 3000 concurrent users, what configuration should i follow for servers and what all i need to setup... do we need scale lite also.

Regards
Rudraksh

Odejinmi Samuel

Mar 30, 2021, 1:23:22 PM3/30/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

When a user is kicked out or banned on this release, a blank page is shown on the user end with no information.

Kindly look into this.

Paulo Lanzarin

Apr 11, 2021, 11:58:39 AM4/11/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Ferdinand, Jossef,

Track the breakout room/camera issue progress here https://github.com/bigbluebutton/bigbluebutton/issues/11985.

(thanks Jossef)

s,

prlanzarin

Shahid Mehmood

Apr 11, 2021, 1:49:51 PM4/11/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Team,
              i am facing issues  regarding webcam and screen sharing. webcam and screen sharing auto disconnect after some time. we get an ICE 1107 error when the webcam disconnected. I also use the turn server but get disconnection.

Thanks for this wonderful service.

Regards.
Shahid

--
Shahid Mehmood

Ferdinand Soethe

Apr 12, 2021, 4:04:19 PM4/12/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

Hello Paulo.

just tested breakout-room behavior on my osc-server and your testserver.
Same problem:

  • With firefox camera doesn't activate and presentation is missing a few lines at the top.
  • With Chrome same problem

Kind regards
Ferdinand

Paulo Lanzarin

Apr 12, 2021, 4:05:50 PM4/12/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Yes. As I mentioned, you can track progress in the issue. I think the fix has just been merged so it'll take a few
days for it to trickle down to test23. I'll let you know when it's there.

s,

Prlanzarin

a.og...@entouch.co.jp

May 16, 2021, 8:48:46 AM5/16/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
Can anyone upload bbb-apps-akka beta 1 !?  URGENT

Fred Dixon

May 16, 2021, 4:34:40 PM5/16/21
to BigBlueButton-dev
HI Ally,

If you want to grab something from an older release, here's the naming for various releases

bionic-230-2.3-beta-1
bionic-230-2.3-beta-2
bionic-230-2.3-beta-3
bionic-230-2.3-beta-4
bionic-230-2.3-beta-5
bionic-230-2.3-rc-1
bionic-230-2.3-rc-2
bionic-23

Of course, we would recommend taking the latest from bionic-23.

Regards,... Fred