DownLoading BigBlueButton recordings as MP4

Paul Raper

Aug 16, 2022, 4:43:41 AM8/16/22
to BigBlueButton-dev
Is it possible to download a BBB recording as an MP4 file. I noticed whilst trying to research this that someone did at sometime set about writing some code to make this possible.

Could we use any part of this?

Jean Pluzo

Aug 16, 2022, 5:16:47 AM8/16/22
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi,

there are some solutions regarding video conversion. One of them is the one you found. Another pretty good one is https://github.com/danielpetri1/bbb-recording-exporter from Daniel Petri. And I think there are a few more.
Please do read https://docs.bigbluebutton.org/dev/recording.html. It will give you insight on why BBB doesn't have an "export video" function right out of the box.
And please don't bother asking if such a solution will be integrated to BBB in the future. The answer is simply no and I for one support this decision.

Regards,

J.

Fred Dixon

Aug 16, 2022, 7:13:37 AM8/16/22
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jean,

> And please don't bother asking if such a solution will be integrated to BBB in the future. The answer is simply no and I for one support this decision.

The answer is yes.  See the outline of features planned for BigBlueButton 2.6.

Regards,.. Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton

Jean Pluzo

Aug 16, 2022, 8:13:29 AM8/16/22
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi all,
@Fred Dixon: sorry, didn't know about this new planned feature. I'm currently focusing on 2.5 and migrating from 2.4. My apologies.
However, I still really like the way BBB does recordings. I hope this doesn't change in the future, but it's nice to know that a new capability will be added.

Regards,

J.

Marcel Hellkamp

Aug 16, 2022, 9:05:05 AM8/16/22
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

Recordings consist of multiple files (slides, videos, metadata). If you want to offer a single video for download, you have to post-process the recording and generate a video yourself. There are tools to do that (you found one of them) but the conversation is very CPU intensive and also prone to errors. It might be a bad idea to do that on the BBB host, you usually want a separate dedicated server and a batch queue for these task. There is no easy solution available yet, so if you struggle with following the tilmanmoser/bbb-video-download instructions, you are probably out of luck.

PS: These is also https://gitlab-ce.gwdg.de/mhellka/bbb-render with a less error prone and more CPU friendly approach (does not need to run in real-time and is happy with small a single core VM). Still a low-level tool, you need to build a processing pipeline around it.

Am 16.08.22 um 10:43 schrieb Paul Raper:
Is it possible to download a BBB recording as an MP4 file. I noticed whilst trying to research this that someone did at sometime set about writing some code to make this possible.

Could we use any part of this?

Paul Raper

Aug 16, 2022, 1:29:13 PM8/16/22
to BigBlueButton-dev
Oh brilliant, I have just upgraded my test version to 2.6 so shall be looking out for that one Fred, to be honest, it will be a truly welcome feature for  lot of people I know.

Uzaktan Eğitim

Sep 15, 2022, 10:55:30 AM9/15/22
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hello, I can download the recordings as mp4 as follows. But only the teacher's camera is visible in the recording. How can I add students' cameras to the mp4 recording as well?

Marc Paré

Sep 17, 2022, 1:38:30 AM9/17/22
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fred,

Thanks for this link and news of better video options coming into the planned BigBlueButton 2.6. This is good news to the countless of BBB implementers who have hoped for such an enhancement. This new feature will make BBB an even more attractive and even more serious solution to online conferencing.

Marc
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bigbluebutton-dev/CAOeuy5PX0q8VYuvAG9VienC52oAFuhbcEpGw5jcrAsj8xySRjQ%40mail.gmail.com.

--
Marc Paré