bbb-install-2.6.sh now installs TURN server as default

Fred Dixon

Jan 25, 2023, 11:48:23 PM1/25/23
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Everyone

Thanks to schrd for the pull request

and BrentBaccala for helping to test, along with others in the community, the install of a TURN server is now default in the bbb-install-2.6.sh script.

This should make it easier for users behind a restricted firewall to connect to a BigBlueButton 2.6-beta server setup with this script.

If you have setup 2.6-alpha/beta and want to have a TURN server running with your BigBlueButton 2.6 server, simply re-run the bbb-install-2.6.sh script again with your original parameters.

Regards,... Fred

--
BigBlueButton Developer

Like BigBlueButton?  Tweet us at @bigbluebutton

Rajesh Mallah

Jan 25, 2023, 11:52:06 PM1/25/23
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi ,

If the TURN server itself is behind a firewall (following) the default documentation does
makes it work. I had to specifically put the TURN in a linode server with a public ip assigned
right on the vps to make it work.

my 2cents of observation.

regds
rajesh.

Gilou

Jan 26, 2023, 11:19:14 AM1/26/23
Le 26/01/2023 à 05:48, Fred Dixon a écrit :
> Hi Everyone
>
> Thanks to schrd for the pull request
>
> https://github.com/bigbluebutton/bbb-install/pull/579
> <https://github.com/bigbluebutton/bbb-install/pull/579>
>
> and BrentBaccala for helping to test, along with others in the
> community, the install of a TURN server is now default in the
> bbb-install-2.6.sh <http://bbb-install-2.6.sh> script.
>
> This should make it easier for users behind a restricted firewall to
> connect to a BigBlueButton 2.6-beta server setup with this script.
>
> If you have setup 2.6-alpha/beta and want to have a TURN server running
> with your BigBlueButton 2.6 server, simply re-run the bbb-install-2.6.sh
> <http://bbb-install-2.6.sh> script again with your original parameters.

Hi,

For those who already have a separate coturn server, will there be an
option to NOT add haproxy in the chain, and use an external coturn
instance dedicated to TURN? Like we used to?

I understand fully the goal here, and it's nice to be able to spare an
IP address when using IPv4, but it's also kind of hackish, and adds
another layer where it's better not to have too many, due to the
complexity of having all those parts stacked up. And it has impacts on
the configuration of most of the components there.

So modifying that harshly the setup from the install script will be hard
on those following the docs, and make the install.sh script rather
unusable for those that do not wish to add a proxy over the proxy…

Or maybe we can slim down and get rid of nginx, but I'm not sure haproxy
does all what we use nginx for…

Regards,

Gilles

Fred Dixon

Jan 26, 2023, 6:14:12 PM1/26/23
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> For those who already have a separate coturn server, will there be an
option to NOT add haproxy in the chain, and use an external coturn
instance dedicated to TURN? Like we used to?

Agreed.

We'll add an option to install HAProxy + Local TURN setup.

Regards,... Fred

Nikola

Jan 28, 2023, 4:52:03 AM1/28/23
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com

пт, 27 січ. 2023, 01:14 користувач Fred Dixon <ffd...@gmail.com> пише:

Chao Chen

Jan 30, 2023, 3:02:38 AM1/30/23
to BigBlueButton-dev
Should I open port 3478 for stun  in  BBB firewall ?  Thank you.

Giovanni Marangelli

Jan 30, 2023, 6:11:12 AM1/30/23
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Fred

After upgrade from a working BigBlueButton 2.6.0-beta.7 on a VPS with public IP to  BigBlueButton 2.6.0-rc.1 using  bbb-install-2.6.sh I've a lot a error during the initial check:

.curl: (16) OpenSSL SSL_write: Broken pipe, errno 32
.curl: (52) Empty reply from server
.curl: (52) Empty reply from server
.curl: (52) Empty reply from server
.curl: (52) Empty reply from server
.curl: (16) OpenSSL SSL_write: Broken pipe, errno 32
.curl: (52) Empty reply from server
.curl: (52) Empty reply from server
.curl: (52) Empty reply from server
.curl: (52) Empty reply from server
.curl: (52) Empty reply from server
.curl: (16) OpenSSL SSL_write: Broken pipe, errno 32
.curl: (52) Empty reply from server
.curl: (52) Empty reply from server
.
 curl: (52) Empty reply from server
# Error: Could not connect to the configured hostname/IP address
#
#    https://bbb.xxx.xxx/
#
# If your BigBlueButton server is behind a firewall, see FAQ.

curl: (52) Empty reply from server
# Error: Unable to reach default URL for presentation:
#
#    https://bbb.xxx.xxx/default.pdf
#
# Check value for beans.presentationService.defaultUploadedPresentation in
#   /usr/share/bbb-web/WEB-INF/classes/bigbluebutton.properties and /etc/bigbluebutton/bbb-web.properties

regards
Giovanni

Giovanni Marangelli

Jan 31, 2023, 10:24:13 AM1/31/23
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi,
The problem mentioned in my previous post was caused by not enabling IPv6 on the VPS. Once activated everything started working normally.

regards
Giovanni

Plínio Peçanha

Mar 22, 2023, 8:35:30 PM3/22/23
to BigBlueButton-dev
It works wonderfully well on an EC2 instance.
We always had problems setting up a bypass server on AWS, but this new option in the turn script made installing the BigBlueButton server and Turn simple.
All we had to do was open port 3478 and everything works perfectly fine.

We validated using local firewall and external VPN. And it works!

Thank you very much and congratulations on the work.