Making the default welcome message and footer translatable

Sebastian Berm

May 31, 2023, 3:41:18 AM5/31/23
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi all,

Before I start with creating a Github ticket with regards to this, I was wondering if there is any reason why, at this time, the values can only contain 1 static text?
Basically, the html5 interface already supports multiple languages, but these values do not.

Although it would not be easy to support everyones requirements with just the default json translations, I would almost suggest if it would be an idea to add something like the Moodle method of doing this with the {mlang} tags.
Or allowing the value to become a list so you can set them like everyone is used to in the yml settings file, but would allow the engine to pick up a translated value instead.

Is there any reasoning for this?

Kind regards,
Sebastian Berm

Hiroshi Suga

May 31, 2023, 8:07:57 AM5/31/23
to BigBlueButton-dev
This thread might help:
, although I still think it's possible.

Sebastian Berm

Jun 1, 2023, 8:56:40 AM6/1/23
to BigBlueButton-dev
According to this thread, it would be interesting to remove this feature all together.
I disagree; not everyone is using the API to replace these values when creating a meeting. The default message is often replaced, but the footer is not.
In our setup, we add the dial-in phone number to the footer.

Same for the phone number, what if, I would have a phone number per country a user is in; there would be no way to work with that (also not supported in the current API, I think).

Bringing it into the Transifex would be a bit too difficult, in my opinion, because you want to support the current config as well.
That was why I was suggesting using the yml config file instead of the Transifex translations for this.

Hiroshi Suga

Jun 1, 2023, 10:25:46 AM6/1/23
to BigBlueButton-dev
I may misunderstand something. Are you talking about the Greenlight welcome page?
If not, what is the footer that you are talking about?
If you refer to the two messages in the public chat of BBB, the first "Welcome to Big..." is from BBB and you can configure as you want using a setting file, and the second message regarding the invitation URL, it's from Greenlight and it's already translated by Transifex.