Recordings

Ali Alhaidary

Apr 15, 2021, 6:39:57 PM4/15/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
After almost one year of smooth operation, we decided to host our BBB on
a new server, so we prepared that new server and copied all recordings
from the old server to the new one (/var/bigbluebutton/published), and
users were happy and did not notice the change but in better
performance, the old server was kept running but not attended as we
removed some of its memory.

Recently, we needed that old server, we turned it off to install
something else on it, students were not able to retrieve some old
recordings, after inspection, we found that the link for these
recordings still pints to the old server although, they were on the new
server, so we had to keep it running.

We are using bbb plugin for moodle. Any help how we can make the
recordings point to the new server?

Ali

sd...@distancelearning.cloud

Apr 15, 2021, 7:05:20 PM4/15/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
You need to run bbb-conf --setip yourdomain.com and it will rewrite the metadata.xml files to the new server name.

The recordings have the old server in the <link> field... when you shut it down they stopped working.

Should work in moodle once you run that command.

Regards,
Stephen

Ali Alhaidary

Apr 15, 2021, 8:01:49 PM4/15/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Stephen, however, running the command did not help, same
recording still pointing to the old server.

Ali

Ali Alhaidary

Apr 15, 2021, 8:32:10 PM4/15/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
What I was referring to is that the command did not change the link in
metadata.xml, however, if I change the link manually in each
metadata.xml file to the new server, it will play the recording from the
new server. But that is not practical.

Ali

sd...@distancelearning.cloud

Apr 16, 2021, 7:19:20 AM4/16/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
At the end of bbb-conf --setip should see the script try to rewrite the metadata.xml, a series of dots appear as it goes thru recordings, I have seen it occasionally miss a few links, when converting a few thousand recordings not sure were the issue is in sed or why it does it... may be some special characters in metadata.xml causing it.

You can use sed at the ssh level to also change them all. Need to change the link, and the thumbnail images.
Using find and grep you can easily identify which metadata.xml still has the old server name, and then rewrite with sed...
Google has lots of examples how to do this.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bigbluebutton-dev/ebde117c-0c89-a3b2-4364-2794a54a7dff%40the5stars.org.

sd...@distancelearning.cloud

Apr 16, 2021, 7:21:08 AM4/16/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Also make sure your browser is not caching the old metadata.xml, and not getting the new one... if its in cloudfront s3 for example you need to expire the objects for new one to load.

Regards,
Stephen

Apr 16, 2021, 7:26:56 AM4/16/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Stephen, already used find and sed to locate all missed links
and rectified it

find . -name 'metadata.xml' -exec sed -i 's/old.link/new.link/g' {} +

Ali

Ali Alhaidary

Apr 16, 2021, 7:29:38 AM4/16/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. Obviously it is an issue with bbb-conf --setip issue missing
some links for some reason

Ali

sd...@distancelearning.cloud

Apr 16, 2021, 7:32:54 AM4/16/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Yes, we need to get a sample set of metadata.xmls that fail to convert with bbb-conf code and open an issue so it can be solved.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bigbluebutton-dev/76fd5a04-5161-6acb-9af7-17b133bbd89f%40the5stars.org.

sd...@distancelearning.cloud

Apr 16, 2021, 7:53:02 AM4/16/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
https://github.com/bigbluebutton/bigbluebutton/issues/12051

Opened issue... Ali if you can attach a few sample metadata.xml files that were not converted to issue, I will do the same next time.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bigbluebutton-dev/000b01d732b4%243993f960%24acbbec20%24%40distancelearning.cloud.

Ali Alhaidary

Apr 16, 2021, 7:56:09 AM4/16/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, I used to have 4GB of them, all converted, but let me see if
I can pull some from the backup.

Ali

Ali Alhaidary

Apr 16, 2021, 9:32:46 AM4/16/21
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
I had to rename the file (added .log) so that it can be uploaded to github.

Ali
metadata.xml.log
Message has been deleted